Motoring Discussion > Thames TV...1970s cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 22

Thames TV...1970s cars - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZn6kU_0pU&ab_channel=ThamesTv

Some superb reviews of some well known motors from Thames' Drive In programme. A serious YT rabbit hole...put the kettle on
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 16 Sep 20 at 13:54
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Runfer D'Hills
That particular episode could have been renamed "The man with preposterous trousers"
 Thames TV...1970s cars - R.P.
With the shoes coming a close second !
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Mr Moo
The test of the Vauxhall Chevette always amuses me. Most of it is undertaken by driving backwards!
 Thames TV...1970s cars - carmalade
It’s amazing that they have opened the Bonnet to show the engine . Don’t think it’s ever been done on Top gear . Don’t suppose any of the TG presenters would know how to do that anyway. Now there’s a challenge .
I thought it was quite interesting ( astonishing even? ) when it was claimed in the video that Diesel engines were cleaner in terms of emissions than petrol ones. Maybe they were, by comparison to the petrol engines of the day? Also, he was quite impressed I noticed, by his average of 35 mpg, which wouldn't seem great by today's standards would it. But, then again, he did note that a petrol equivalent would have been at more like 25 mpg.
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Zero

>> standards would it. But, then again, he did note that a petrol equivalent would have
>> been at more like 25 mpg.

Goes some way to comfort me over my 28MPG.
Yes indeed, but you are somewhat handicapped by your choice of a more, well, let's be frank here, 20th century engine configuration, an engine that is rather too oversupplied with cylinders for the modern world. However, it would be a poorer world without eccentricity.

;-))
>> Yes indeed, but you are somewhat handicapped by your choice of a more, well, let's
>> be frank here, 20th century engine configuration, an engine that is rather too oversupplied with
>> cylinders for the modern world. However, it would be a poorer world without eccentricity.
>>
>> ;-))

Had you not been left behind in the distance, I may have heard your warning.

(I wont tell you what it averages with a shed on the back).
>> (I wont tell you what it averages with a shed on the back).

Oh go on, tell us... 17ish?
>> >> (I wont tell you what it averages with a shed on the back).
>>
>>
>> Oh go on, tell us... 17ish?

Good shout, spot on. Really shouldnt accelerate the caravan up to 60 mph in under 6 seconds I guess, but I love the fact people thought they would beat you away from the lights and not get stuck behind a shed.
My brother in law has a huge, really huge, caravan, twin axles etc. Pulls it with a Tuareg diesel. Gets about 17 mpg.
Its not the weight that kills MPG its the wind resistance.
Stop putting your head out through the sunroof then!

Oh wait, you don't actually have a sunroof do you ?

Never mind.

;-)
>> Stop putting your head out through the sunroof then!
>>
>> Oh wait, you don't actually have a sunroof do you ?

No, My climate control works, so the extra weight is not necessary
>> No, My climate control works, so the extra weight is not necessary

Fair enough, I suppose it would be a small sacrifice to do without the additional benefits of extra fresh air and a lighter cabin, if you are concerned about the vehicle's capability to cope with a, well, how can I put it, excess payload.

Have you ever considered, well, perhaps, and I'm not saying this is necessarily a requirement, but it might be that cutting back on the pies a bit would allow you to feel more ready to have a sunroof in the future? Not that it's any of my business, gosh no. Happy in your skin and so on, I think they say. Jolly good etc. Nothing more to say or see here, at all...

;-)
>>and a lighter cabin,

Ag but then mine is not like the interior of a welsh coal miners boot.
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Bromptonaut
>> I thought it was quite interesting ( astonishing even? ) when it was claimed in
>> the video that Diesel engines were cleaner in terms of emissions than petrol ones. Maybe
>> they were, by comparison to the petrol engines of the day?

Not seen the clip, does it specify which emissions they were talking about?

The pollutants counted in the seventies might well have been lead, unburned hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide? IIRC diesels burn fuel more efficiently. The word stoichiometric is ringing a bell but I cannot remember why, nor have I the time now to look into it.

Don't think CO2 was seen as a problem then. Not sure about SO and NOx either - when did acid rain become a thing?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 12:57
Diesel particulates had still to be reinvented as a bad thang back then
 Thames TV...1970s cars - No FM2R
>>when did acid rain become a thing?

Depends what you mean;

It became a media fad and obsession in the mid 70s when the tabloids announced that historic London buildings would be washed away by Christmas, or some such comment. It was one of the museums that they'd particularly got heir panties in a knot over, but I don't remember which one.

It was actually recognised by clever people as a thing in the 60s, I think.
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Boxsterboy
>> That particular episode could have been renamed "The man with preposterous trousers"
>>

I think the way his tie is tucked into the trousers is particularly fetching...
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Timeonmyhands
I think the fashion icon is Richard Hudson-Evans.
 Thames TV...1970s cars - Bromptonaut
>> I think the fashion icon is Richard Hudson-Evans.

Did he used to do the traffic on LBC in its early days?

Introduced with with a '261 traffic' jingle 261 metres being the station's wavelength.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 19 Sep 20 at 16:43
Latest Forum Posts