Motoring Discussion > car insurance due Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 15

car insurance due - devonite
Just received my renewal notice and it has increased by £24. Been having a browse about the varies compare sites and a few not on them, can't find anything cheaper!

Them on M.S.E site I found this link

By Miles*

Gave them a try at a quick quote, and found it's a type of pay as you go policy, never seen one before!
In my case I would pay £170.69 whilst parked, and then 3.2p per mile whilst driving, meaning my annual ins fee would be about £250 pa, based on my average mileage. just over half the price of my renewal! I'm about to delve further into the finer policy details, but was wondering if anybody else uses this type of policy and could offer any thoughts/advice?

Ta!
forgot to mention they upfront credit your acct with £60!
 car insurance due - Bromptonaut
Never heard of the concept but I guess as 'IT enabled progress' such a thing is inevitable.

I suspect they will make their money from people who underestimate mileage.

We thought 9,000/year (27,000 over a 3 year PCP) was ample for our first Berlingo. It ended up nearly double that.

Not an issue for us as we just paid the balloon but would have been costly if we'd had to give it back.
 car insurance due - Dog
We're only doin about 70 miles per week, but that type of policy would far exceed what we pay now.

Maybe being our car is garaged and we live in a relatively crook-free area (apart from the solicitors & estate agents) the whilst parked figure would be con-siderably less.
who you with ! - my rubbish estimates make that less than £300! ;-)

if my maths are correct (which i doubt - feeling thick today!) ;-) that free £60 qiuds would give me nearly half my annual mileage free!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 15 Oct 20 at 13:36
 car insurance due - Dog
General Accident = £246 - 2 litre petrol Subaru.
 car insurance due - Terry
I think that the idea of a mileage component in the price was initially launched for younger drivers. This may have come along with an in car tracker so that they could also monitor speed limit adherence, heavy cornering and braking etc.

Not sure what car you drive, age or where you live - it is not clear whether the quotes you are getting are good or bad.
 car insurance due - Duncan
>> Just received my renewal notice and it has increased by £24. Been having a browse
>> about the varies compare sites and a few not on them, can't find anything cheaper!
>>
>> Them on M.S.E site I found this link
>>
>> By Miles*
>>
>> Gave them a try at a quick quote, and found it's a type of pay

It doesn't seem to bother anyone else, but it bothers me! Where's the link?
 car insurance due - No FM2R
www.bymiles.co.uk/
 car insurance due - Bill Payer
Is there a GPS tracker involved or does it just record miles somehow?

Apparently kids have 'black box' policies that cancel their insurance if they exceed the speed limit a couple of times!
 car insurance due - PeterS
The renewal premium for the Merc actually went down this year, though not by much, to a little over £500. I could have saved £150 by opting for an Admiral ‘telematics’ policy. For that they send you a box that’s powered by the 12v cigarette lighter socket which you have to plug in for a month. I didn’t bother, for two reason. Firstly, while I’m obviously an excellent driver I don’t necessarily want an insurance company to know where I’m going, when and how quickly, and secondly, the car doesn’t have a 12V socket anyway. Just 2 USBs in the centre armrest and one by the wireless charging pad. Maybe one in the back as well...not sure. I know the MINI has as USB and USB-C in the back.
 car insurance due - wotspur
I have insurance Direct Line , and yesterday they sent me a letter sayi;g I can insure the car at X price based on 10k miles , but If I register the cars mileage at the start ( lie) and I do only 8,000 they’ll reimburse at 24 a 1000 miles , wow doesn’t seem very generous . , if the total was only 240 a year it would be ok .
 car insurance due - Falkirk Bairn
Aviva put mine up from £200 to £260 - in 5 years it had crept up from £160 to £200 then shot up £60.

Money Saving Expert gave me £70 back in Amazon Vouchers on the £194 premium charged by LV - so £124 net.

The MSE offer was policies taken out in July (my renewal date was mid August). I am sure they will have another promo on every so often.
 car insurance due - VxFan
>> I have insurance Direct Line , and yesterday they sent me a letter

Had a similar letter myself. As you say, what they're offering is chicken feed.

Hardly seems worth it, especially if you notify them further down the line that your annual mileage has increased again once lock downs, working from home, etc have ceased. No doubt they'll hike up the price.

I'm leaving my policy as it is, despite doing approx. 3,500 less miles this past year.
 car insurance due - Mr Moo
Some insurers actually charge more if your annual mileage is very low.

Their modelling suggests that if you do very little driving each year (perhaps a senior citizen pottering to their local shop once a week), you may well be less confident and prone to parking prangs!
 car insurance due - hawkeye
>> Is there a GPS tracker involved or does it just record miles somehow?
>>

With my newly-acquired MoT certificate on my desk I've just asked for a quote. Their system suggested an annual mileage. In my case it was mileage this year less mileage last year divided by 18 (months since last MoT) multipled by 12. Don't know if or how they might do ongoing miles.

I didn't get a quote in the end; clearly I'm deemed too senile to handle the many mighty horses of the Jaguar.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Sat 17 Oct 20 at 10:07
Latest Forum Posts