Motoring Discussion > A3 Road signs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 7

A3 Road signs - wotspur

I used to work up in Earlsfield and know the area well . For years 30+ , the road leading from Clapham Common towards Wandsworth has two lanes ,and the inside ,bus lane , has been signed up as busses only 7-10 and 4-7 .
Now I’ve used that road a few times this year , and last night I noticed they’d changed the signs to anytime, was this during the lockdown or another of the Mayors disastrous clamp down on London’s roads ?? . Not expecting this I went to use the empty lane at 3.50 , previously legal , and noticed at the first post it was now ANYTIME .
HOPE I won’t get a ticket , if I do ,what’s the likelihood of overturning it .
But be careful , they seem to be changing road signs without warning . The 20mph speed limit is coming in all over the place , it’s beyond ridiculous in most places
 A3 Road signs - Zero

>> HOPE I won’t get a ticket , if I do ,what’s the likelihood of overturning
>> it .

Zero,
 A3 Road signs - Bromptonaut
Exactly the same in Northampton where the previously morning rush only bus lane on Weedon Road is now 24/7. I believe the rationale is to allow extra cycling space post covid.

Unlike London however it's unlikely to be enforced.

I've probably had more scary close passes on there, when using it in the previous hours, than anywhere else including 13 years cycling in Central London.
 A3 Road signs - Bill Payer
Saw a post in another forum where they'd simply removed the times - poster reckoned there was no warning it'd changed, and no anytime/24hrs etc signage.
 A3 Road signs - martin aston
Even if they don’t change them the warning signs listing the hours are invariably in small print and hard to read in moving traffic. Tricky when you are driving in unfamiliar areas.

Funny too that “new road layout” signs stay up for months/years while changes to fine-attracting bus lane changes don’t even get one day of highlighting.
 A3 Road signs - Duncan
From time to time, I am required to lead an expedition North Eastward up the A3 to St Georges hospital at Tooting.

I have found that the safest thing to do is to stay out of the nearest lane. so long as you watch for the 'right turn only' lanes at some traffic lights, you should be o.k.
 A3 Road signs - henry k
>> From time to time, I am required to lead an expedition North Eastward up the A3 to St Georges hospital at Tooting.
>>
>> I have found that the safest thing to do is to stay out of the nearest lane. ........
Or use a route that I have regularly used that IIRC has no such hazards, unless they have been introduced in recent years.
 A3 Road signs - Boxsterboy
>> From time to time, I am required to lead an expedition North Eastward up the
>> A3 to St Georges hospital at Tooting.
>>
>> I have found that the safest thing to do is to stay out of the
>> nearest lane. so long as you watch for the 'right turn only' lanes at some
>> traffic lights, you should be o.k.
>>

Which is partly why congestion is what it is in London. If people just used their eyes and used bus lanes when they are allowed to, traffic would flow better...
Latest Forum Posts