Motoring Discussion > Honey - I'm Home Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 18

Honey - I'm Home - Duncan
In the new car

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcIFgAzJR8&feature=youtu.be
 Honey - I'm Home - Bobby
Just checked. Car was brand new registered on 16 Nov so this probably was its first journey out!!
 Honey - I'm Home - legacylad
What went wrong ?
Was it something particular to EVs ?
 Honey - I'm Home - tyrednemotional
>> What went wrong ?
>> Was it something particular to EVs ?
>>

....no, it's a Porsche thing.......
 Honey - I'm Home - Runfer D'Hills
Wires crossed maybe...
 Honey - I'm Home - tyrednemotional
...voice control error - "Ready to Chaaaarge!".

;-)
 Honey - I'm Home - Falkirk Bairn
A son had a road test, about a month ago, at the local Porsche dealer that services his car - he bought a 911 there 3/4 years ago but got a better deal last year from a Chicago dealer - lower price & better trade-in.

His view - s*** off a shovel acceleration (under 3 seconds to 60). He did not actually verify the 0-60 time - he was just remarking on the overall performance of pressing the accelerator.
 Honey - I'm Home - No FM2R
Apparently only the Taycan Turbo S can achieve <3seconds.

But I'm curious, what does "Turbo" mean on an all electric car?
 Honey - I'm Home - Bobby
Not sure if true but heard that it obviously has no gearstick but it does have a reverse button and a launch control button....
 Honey - I'm Home - Bobby
Just watching Harry's Garage review of this on youtube - the "gearstick" is actually a toggle switch, out of drivers sight, that toggles between drive / park / reverse.
Progress?
 Honey - I'm Home - Netsur
The numbers of cars with basic ergonomic mistakes after all these years...

Having driven automatics and manuals interchangeably for years, I how found my 'home' in the Mercedes stalk gearstick for autos. It is clear, easy to use, confirmed with a dash display and leaves the centre of the car free for other things. I find it so 'old fashioned' to remove a hand from the steering wheel to change from D to R in an auto.
 Honey - I'm Home - Zero
Some of us are perfectly happy to grope around near the centre of the car, you never know what you get to fondle.

They gave up column changes years ago.
I have an automatic, I put it in gear before I am moving. I never touch it again until I am stopped. I most certainly would not put it into reverse without being a) stopped and b) looking around me.

You may well prefer it, and why not? Each to their own, after all. But your "justification" is silly. Fashion is not something I judge the interior of my car by, be it perceived as old or new.
 Honey - I'm Home - Zero
>> I have an automatic, I put it in gear before I am moving. I never
>> touch it again until I am stopped.

Well there you go you see, I dont, I sometimes snick it between sport or comfort depending on circs.

And I NEVER need a justification to fondle.

Honey - I'm Home - maltrap
With my DSG auto i'm frequently having to remind it what speed it should be in, particularly on hilly B roads. It was designed for fuel economy, not driveability.
>>the "gearstick" is actually a toggle switch, out of drivers sight

Not sure what I think about that. If it's one and done until you stop, I guess you'd get used to it pretty quickly. I can't see the brake release on mine, for example, Or the petrol cap release. But I never have to look for them either, I just know where they are.

But if there was any need to use the gear lever when on the move that doesn't seem so clever.
 Honey - I'm Home - Bromptonaut
As a very very occasional driver of automatics I'd prefer a reasonably chunky gear selector, even if it were only a DAF style Forward/Reverse, where it fell to hand in the centre console. Once the engine is running pop it into Drive and hold the car with footbrake until ready to move - assume it would creep unless prevented.

Most autos I've driven had some sort of 'Low' function for long descents etc. which I'd engage on the move if needed. I'd also tend to select N and engage the handbrake if stopped for more than a few seconds.

Both parents had autos later in life and I drove those from time to time. Since Mother gave up at around 80 only one I've driven was a US hire car.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 30 Nov 20 at 17:47
I live next to, and regularly drive in, the Andes Mountains. 50% covered in snow, 50% of the time just normal treacherous.

I drive a SUV/ 4x4 (not quite sure of the delineation). I carry chains (by law), and have compromise tyres rather than the proper off road tyres I often have.

Most of the low ratio, locking hubs, blah blah blah kit is useful for people driving on muddy leisure circuits in Hampshire but of no real value in real life. Low ration is only useful when you are facing a cliff which nobody in their right mind would even bother with unless they were playing around. I very occasionally use 4wd, usually when towing a large weight on dodgy ground, never use chains, and only use low from time to time to make sure it still works.

Put in drive to move, put in park when stopped. Sometimes use reverse. I do use the foot brake if I park it on an incline, I absolutely never bother to put it I park unless I am going to switch off the car. Neutral is for when it's broken and needs to be moved with external energy.

I haven't broken or worn out an engine or a gearbox in 40 years.

I get in the car, put it in drive and then use the throttle and brake until I use the gear shifter again because I'm getting out.

Anything beyond that is either cosmetic or a choice. Not a necessary action.

I'm not sure what my point is really, beyond the fact that there's a whole load of crap spoken about 4x4, automatic boxes, and other toys which is really only relevant when attending a weekend pretend dirt/water course.
 Honey - I'm Home - Lygonos
Gears? My milkfloat does forwards and backwards.

The quiet pedal increases the speed.
Latest Forum Posts