Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 13

Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Manatee
Automatic. Nothing wrong with it. Scheduled service items only. Nominally a 50,000 mile service, car has actually only done 28,000 total, about 6,000 of them in the last 12 months.

"That will be £998 sir, when would you like to book it in?"

"I'll let you know. Bye."

That was from my nearest dealer. My usual one, Firs at Hook Norton, announced its closure just after Mitsubishi announced it was to stop selling its cars in the UK - cutting their losses in a difficult year with not much prospect of improvement I suppose. They were an unusually busy dealer for the marque, usually some police L200's in for service, and booking 3-4 weeks ahead for service, at which I thought they were good.

The entire service team from Firs has gone to the new, Vertu-owned dealership in Banbury so I rang them next, as I had planned to do anyway. They suggested that I should leave things like the ATF, front and rear diff oil changes, until the specified mileage. Quote £426 including brake fluid change. Still money for old rope but a lot better than £998.

The gearbox and diff fluids are scheduled as 50,000 miles on which basis the local dealer says they are due as it's a 50,000 mile service. Sounds a bit creative to me.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - sooty123
>> The gearbox and diff fluids are scheduled as 50,000 miles on which basis the local
>> dealer says they are due as it's a 50,000 mile service. Sounds a bit creative
>> to me.
>>

I doubt it, it says 50k servicing so that's what they do rather than chopping and changing, doing this but not that.

Most main dealers will loads of people that don't know or care about cars.

Sounds like you got lucky with your second dealer.
Hmmm. I doubt whether many people will swallow £998 without asking what it's for. And they check the levels and the state of the ATF anyway, at least in theory. I look at it myself regardless. Clear last time I looked. Just changing the ATF is £170.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Fullchat
Are you wishing to maintain a warranty with this vehicle?
>> Are you wishing to maintain a warranty with this vehicle?

Good question as it has a 5 year warranty. Yes. I was told it isn't a problem, which I chose to believe:)
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Zero
>> Hmmm. I doubt whether many people will swallow £998 without asking what it's for. And
>> they check the levels and the state of the ATF anyway, at least in theory.
>> I look at it myself regardless. Clear last time I looked. Just changing the ATF
>> is £170.

There is a fair amount of labour in an ATF change. The AT pan has to come off where there is usually a filter in there to come out and 4 litres of ATF is 50 quid with a deep discount applied.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Dec 20 at 18:08
I can't remember whether that £170 came from Banbury or locally. Full capacity is over 8 litres. Not sure how much gets changed or what they use. Mythology is that you have to use the proper Mitsubishi stuff, not what the average motor factor thinks is compatible, and it's quite expensive.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - henry k
>> There is a fair amount of labour in an ATF change.
>> The AT pan has to come off where there is usually a filter in there to come out
>>and 4 litres of ATF is 50 quid with a deep discount applied.
>>
I agree with this for many cars.

If just changing the ATF there is also the dialysis method which is very simple.
One of the cheap aspects of my Jaguar X type is no filter to change just a strainer .
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - sooty123
>> Hmmm. I doubt whether many people will swallow £998 without asking what it's for. And
>> they check the levels and the state of the ATF anyway, at least in theory.
>> I look at it myself regardless. Clear last time I looked. Just changing the ATF
>> is £170.
>>

I bet more than you'd think.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Bill Payer
Daughter had a Mitsubshi Colt and it's the only car we've had where we changed dealer for servicing. And we did it not once, but twice.

Supplying dealer twice quoted £150 for first service, then on collecting the car, asked for £200. Initial excuse was "we always quote ex-VAT!" (I ignored that £150 +VAT still isn't £200). I try and let the kids do their own stuff, but was there as they'd refused her a courtesy car due to her age. She'd have just paid it. After it was sorted out I had such a rant at them that going back would have been tricky!

Used another dealer a couple of times and they were always up for a haggle - the book pricing appears dear because the schedule includes everything needed, ie if the brake fluid is due, it's already in the price. Then they quoted an insane price for what should have been a basic service. Another dealer quoted a staggering £92! And they mentioned £20 of that was to renew the (very comprehensive) European Roadside Assistance package.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Auntie Lockbrakes
Hi Manatee - am curious to see how you get on, not from a cost perspective but to see what work actually needs doing. I've got the same car - 2.3 diesel automatic - first registered in January 2015 so coming up to its sixth annual service. In prior years there's never been any mention of changing the ATF...

I'm in NZ, where servicing is annual or 15,000km. Year 4 was a bigger service - they warned me in advance - because they take off the inlet manifold and look for crud inside, so I was told by the service manager.

I've only done 8000km this year, (total mileage now 70,000km), but Mitsi offered to extend the 5-year warranty to 10 years if I stick to main dealer annual servicing! Suits me because I intend to keep the car at least 5 more years.
If it really is the same people working the same way I've been reasonably happy with them - they routinely take the wheels off and check the brakes properly for example which is very old-fashioned.

I hadn't heard the bit about the inlet manifold. One of the deferred jobs is cleaning the injectors and replacing the seals - I was quite happy to defer that as it sounds nearly guaranteed to go wrong and absolutely nuts at 28,000 miles. I usually use super-diesel so it will be interesting when that happens to see if it has made any difference.
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Bobby
Can’t reconnect if I was aware that Mitsubishi had pulled the plug on UK.
Assume they waited till they had offloaded all their hybrid Outlanders??
 Mitsubishi - Outlander fourth annual service cost - Lygonos
Think it's Europe too, not just the UK Bobby.
Latest Forum Posts