Motoring Discussion > Dust & Car Wax Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 32

Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
And this time of year this country is a very dusty place. To the point that if I have been out of the city then it has to be hosed simply so I can see out of the windows.

Unfortunately it's some kind of metallic blue/black colour which looks like crap if I just leave it to dry - water drops and runs everywhere and a generally dull appearance.

However, it's so b***** hot that the car dries in nothing flat and looks like crap so attacking it wiht a chamois before it dries itself is a difficult pita. Waxing it is also deeply unpleasant unless you do it at night because the car becomes far too hot to touch very quickly.

Is it realistic to believe that one can out tons of effort into waxing it once with some expensive wax and then be able to hose to down and have it dry reasonably cleanly for a month or so, or is that just pie in the sky?
 Dust & Car Wax - Robin O'Reliant
Blimey FM, you've changed with age. I remember you being famous in the other place for never cleaning your car.

Next you'll be changing the oil.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
>> Blimey FM, you've changed with age. I remember you being famous in the other place
>> for never cleaning your car.

Shameful I know, I am embarrassed. But it has to be hosed or I simply can't see out of it and it looks like crap most of the time. A comment was made at the US Embassy recently, along with a comment about parking it around the back.

And I live in a country where it never b***** rains. At least in Brazil the regular and heavy rain kept the car appearance under control.

All I want is to be able to give it a quick hose down at times of neccessity.

>> Next you'll be changing the oil.

Don't be ridiculous. I genuinely do not know where the dipstick is. Well. other than the one driving, that is.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Jan 21 at 22:10
 Dust & Car Wax - Robin O'Reliant
>> Don't be ridiculous. I genuinely do not know where the dipstick is. Well. other than
>> the one driving, that is.
>>

Thank God for that, I was beginning to worry about you.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 2 Jan 21 at 03:33
 Dust & Car Wax - Bromptonaut
I've never found anything that works like that on paintwork.

Perhaps if, after applying wax, I actually rinsed the car rather than letting it gather dust I'd get better results.

Rain X does a respectable job on side windows though.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
Sod it then, I was only prepared to put the effort in once and if that won't make a difference then I'm just not bothering with even that.

I'll return to giving the guy on the corner a couple of quid every few days.
 Dust & Car Wax - bathtub tom
I live in a hard water area. The window cleaners around here don't use ladders, but long poles, squeegees and whatever they put in the water doesn't leave marks.
I can't find what the chemical they add is, but there's numerous products available if you google it.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
Interesting, and a good tip. As I look into that I find that my problem will not be solved by wax, but by whatever I put in the water I use.

But bad news in that what I really wanted to be able to do is hose the car down and ignore it.

Seems that I don't need to wash it, I can just hose it, but then I need to dry it. Don't think I have that much patience.
 Dust & Car Wax - Runfer D'Hills
My cars are a bit like a hippy, they (almost always) get a wash if there's a Solstice or an Equinox, whether they need it or not.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
It's because mine is a stupid dark colour. It wouldn't matter if it was anything other than dark blue / black.

The third black(ish) car I've ever owned. Clearly I am a slow learner.
 Dust & Car Wax - Kevin
> It's because mine is a stupid dark colour. It wouldn't matter if it was anything
> other than dark blue / black.
>
> The third black(ish) car I've ever owned. Clearly I am a slow learner.
>

I find it offensive that you equate dark with stupid and that dark blue and black don't matter.
Last edited by: Kevin on Sat 2 Jan 21 at 00:29
 Dust & Car Wax - Lygonos
Even more fun with 4x4 jobs - I remember needing to stand on the back wheels to reach the middle of the roof on my Shogun.

I use Bilt Hamber double speed wax - takes 20-30 mins to do the car (used very sparingly with the wee foam pad it comes with) then buff off 10 mins later (with the MF cloth it comes with).

Seems to take the crap off with a hose and beads like a boss for 3-6 months after.

If you want better you probably need some expensive ceramic stuff.

As for the glass I don't know how good RainX is these days, or how long it lasts.

Just buy a new car whenever it gets dirty, tightwad.
 Dust & Car Wax - Duncan
>>
>> As for the glass I don't know how good RainX is these days, or how
>> long it lasts.

RainX seems to be one of those products that some people swear by, others swear at!
 Dust & Car Wax - Bromptonaut
>> RainX seems to be one of those products that some people swear by, others swear
>> at!

It's good on side windows, door mirrors and my car's glass roof. Never use it on glass swept by wipers.
 Dust & Car Wax - Runfer D'Hills
Living in Cheshire, our cars get rinsed off quite frequently. If it didn't rain yesterday, and it's not raining today, then it'll probably rain tomorrow, as a rule of thumb in these parts.
 Dust & Car Wax - Falkirk Bairn
A son lives in Texas and, unlike his neighbours, washes the family cars.
Neighbours have car valet service come to the house or work.

For 3/4 months he can wash the car early in the morning outside, dry it and no streaks.
For 8/9 months he washes the car outside and then drives the car inside - 11/12 feet wide garage allows him to dry the cars off quickly & streak free. Leaving the car standing outside would result the car drying with water marks in a matter of minutes.

Nov- Feb outside wash & dry
March to October =wash outside & dry in garage as temperatures a 80 to 110 Fahrenheit, some days it is hotter.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
>> I remember needing to stand on the back wheels to reach the middle of the roof on my Shogun

Oh absolutely. I'm 6ft and even standing on the wheels it's an a*** to reach the whole roof.

>>I use Bilt Hamber double speed wax - takes 20-30 mins to do the car (used very sparingly with
>>the wee foam pad it comes with) then buff off 10 mins later (with the MF cloth it comes with).
>>
>>Seems to take the crap off with a hose and beads like a boss for 3-6 months after.

If I can achieve that I'll be very happy. I don't need it to look perfect, it just needs to not look like a disaster given some of the places it gets parked. If I can hose the dust off so I can see and then have it dry at least reasonably that'll do.

I'll see if I can find Bilt Hamber stuff.

>>Just buy a new car whenever it gets dirty, tightwad

I gave up smoking because it was costing me a fortune in new cars every time the ash tray got full.

It gets disgusting in about two days but I couldn't live with the bureaucracy, you would not believe the car acquisition / disposal process..
 Dust & Car Wax - hawkeye
>> I live in a hard water area. The window cleaners around here don't use ladders,
>> but long poles, squeegees and whatever they put in the water doesn't leave marks.
>> I can't find what the chemical they add is, but there's numerous products available if
>> you google it.
>>

I also live in a hard water area and have a ladder-free window cleaner. He says he doesn't add anything to his window-washing water but puts it through a de-ioniser as his tank fills up overnight.

Our cars are rinsed with rainwater from the water harvester (large plastic underground vessel which looks like a septic tank). The cars dry streak-free if I'm too idle to leather them off.
 Dust & Car Wax - Fullchat
In the trade I believe they refer to it as 'soft washing'.

Its quite interesting to see the Youtube videos of all the kit they use now for vacuuming gutters to roof moss removal without leaving far from the ground.
 Dust & Car Wax - Duncan
>> Its quite interesting to see the Youtube videos of all the kit they use now
>> for vacuuming gutters to roof moss removal without leaving far from the ground.

We regularly get members of The Caravan Club round here, knocking on doors, offering to remove the moss on the roof.

Very sweet of them, but I always decline.
 Dust & Car Wax - Fullchat
There's a way to do it and its not clambering all over the roof, cracking tiles and jet washing the life out of it probably like CC Gold members would.
Perhaps if he got a nice, shiny waxed surface, he could use a leaf blower to blow the dust off?
 Dust & Car Wax - hawkeye
Perhaps if he got a nice, shiny waxed surface, he wouldn't recognize his car at all ...
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
>>he could use a leaf blower to blow the dust off?

I was sort of naively hoping for that. I thought the wax could be shiny enough that the dust would just blow off as I drive along with perhaps the occasional hosing.

This is the sort of mess a life of ignoring how your car looks get you into to.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 2 Jan 21 at 16:43
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
>>Its quite interesting to see the Youtube videos of all the kit they use now for vacuuming gutters

In the course of searching for water additives I ended up watching Youtube videos of car washing experts.

Who could stress that much about the finish on a car? And the detail level!! Ph of the water, ion balancing, soap composition etc. etc. etc.

I wish I knew one but I thank God I'm not one.

I want to hose my car every month or so, and really that-s as much as I want to do.
 Dust & Car Wax - Zero
FFS, throw some pesos at a peon to do it for you.
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
An ideal solution, you'd think. The problem is that it requires me to not only know that I need the car, I also need to realise it's disgusting, and I need to realise both a couple of hours beforehand.

Quite beyond me, I regret to say.
 Dust & Car Wax - Duncan
Don't you have a car wash place down at the Rugby club why nice men with little English wash your car for £8?
A thought: Condensate from A/C is effectively de-ionised water. If you used that to hose down the car, it may not streak.
Does your house have A/C?
Can you collect the water?
Do you have a pressure washer capable of sucking water from a container?
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
>>Does your house have A/C?
>>Can you collect the water?
>>Do you have a pressure washer capable of sucking water from a container?

Yes
No
Not sure, think not.

I guess I could use a watering can though...

Dust & Car Wax - tyrednemotional
I think I've read that water from a swimming pool from which one has rescued bees and/or lizards carries enough good karma for it not to leave streaks on a washed vehicle.

....I might just be imagining that, though.....
 Dust & Car Wax - No FM2R
Sadly I think it's going to take a lot more than bees and lizards before my net karma balance goes positive.
 Dust & Car Wax - tyrednemotional
...it might add a bit of beeswax as well, though....
Latest Forum Posts