Motoring Discussion > Latest Drive the deal e-mail Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 18

Latest Drive the deal e-mail - Falkirk Bairn
As usual

Dominated by VAG brands, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes

Why do reliable brands seldom appear?
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - PeterS
I’m not sure which brands you’re referring to as reliable, but certainly VAG and Mercedes will be chasing market share and shifting volume that they’d committed to take from the factories. Not sure about JLR. However I expect they’re all using under-utilised capacity to make the cars and generate positive cash flow. Most of the costs of a car factory are fixed in the short term, the variable cost is pretty low so they can afford to discount a lot and still generate positive cash flow. The Japanese and Korean brands will be doing the same, but dumping the cars in their local markets, not shipping them half way round the world.
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - legacylad
I assume that all car manufacturing plants are still producing, albeit at lower volumes. I’ve no way of knowing but wonder if second hand values are holding up ?

Just asking, because, well, y’know the Barbiemobile will be offered back to the supplying dealer as soon as I can gain admittance to Spain. And in the meantime I’ve spotted a suitable replacement, so I’m 50/50 as to whether I should bite the bullet or not and change now. Plan A was to say goodbye to Barbie the day before I flew out, and look for a replacement when I eventually return from sunnier climes.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 13 Jan 21 at 12:36
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - sooty123
What's you going for now LL?
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - PeterS
Two observations. (1) Used car prices are very strong at the moment, though whether that’s the case for barbie mobiles I’m not sure... (2) There’ll always be another used car.

So, don’t rush just because you’ve seen a car you like. But if you’re certain that you will downsize, doing so when prices are relatively high would seem to make sense. Even better, sell now and buy later when prices settle. Though, if you need a car in the meantime that approach makes less sense...

And yes, as sooty says, what’s caught your eye!
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 14 Jan 21 at 08:04
A Focus Active estate. On the Ford UK website..nice metallic red, pano roof, lots of toys. Only 150 horses but it is what it is.
I need the load space as I expect a few building jobs in the short to medium term. A reform of a potential place in Spain, which I’ll do with friends, so I’ll take a lot of tools, materials and household sundries out with me. Quite a lot more interior space than Barbie, which is not a space efficient vehicle, and the money released should pay for a total reform. Similar rental cars have been ok to drive, so it’s not an unknown quantity.
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - Runfer D'Hills
For a none of my beeswax comment, short term, wouldn't you be better just buying an old cheap but worthy estate of some kind. The sort of thing that you'd happily lob building materials and tools into, or take up an unmade track in Spain?

Not sure I'd want to do either of those things to a new car.
Fully understand where you’re coming from. Like an old Mondeo diesel, but it needs to be all things to all men. Hopefully come April I’ll be flying out to Spain for a much reduced period, but come late Autumn I’ll be driving out.
I’m looking forward to spending time discovering other hilly parts of Europe (Picos, Alps,Dolomites, Carpathians) in future years whilst I’m still reasonably active, and my Spanish bolt hole will simply be that. A decent reliable, capacious, reasonably fun to drive motor is required to cover those anticipated miles.
And for the really rough unmade Spanish tracks I’ll scrounge a lift...car share with mine on less rough tracks. On a serious note I never walk alone in certain areas...very remote, no phone signal and possible fatal consequences in a worst case scenario. It happens. More often than you would think.
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - sherlock47
Just make sure that you do not fall foul of the 90-180 rule.

Not sure what restrictions will be on taking materials with you - possibly 150€?

And dont pack your ham and cheese sandwiches, or eat them while queueing to get into Kent.
Sherlock. Thanks but I’m fully up to speed with the 90/180 EU legislation. Lots & lots of long conversations whilst walking with Brits who’ve owned second homes for 25+ years and decided against taking out Spanish residencia.
That’s a whole new thread....
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - Duncan
When you get your place in Spain, you won't forget who your friends are - will you?
I was thinking that too Duncan. Actually, we should all take more of an interest in his choice of car, given that we'll all be wanting to borrow it when we're at his place in Spain...

;-)
...further to above, would you mind awfully getting some bike racks for the roof rack?

;-)
 Latest Drive the deal e-mail - Duncan
And get some electric bikes in for us oldies.
Perhaps a dog cage for the boot? If it's no trouble?
Oh and just one, well, two more things, if you don't mind? A couple of Santa Cruz Bronsons please. One size L and one size S if that's ok? Everything else should be fine...

;-)

tinyurl.com/yxgzfnl7
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 14 Jan 21 at 11:03
Runfer...won’t you be pre occupied with the GDMBR I brought to your attention ?
Just to sicken us both off in the current climate, my friends who drove out early October decided to remain in Spain rather than drive home pre Christmas and return in January. Obviously the right decision...photos received today show them mountain biking this morning under cloudless skies in the Marina Alta above the Jalon valley. Lots of frozen puddles, but they’re out and about on their bikes..they drove out with a car full of toys...both mountain & road bikes, inflatable paddle board, wet suits for open water swimming.
Much nicer here in the rain, sleet & snow.
I've never met your friends, and I wish them no harm, but maybe just ever so slightly and uncharitably hope they get an inconvenient puncture or two.

:-(
They’re the kind of folks who repair punctures in their sleep. Infuriating. The only people I know with a compressor in their fully stocked repair workshop ( aka double garage) to clean their toys.
Latest Forum Posts