Motoring Discussion > Stanlow oil refinery Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

Stanlow oil refinery - Falkirk Bairn
Former Shell Refinery in Ellesmere Port

DT Quoted below

"The owner of one of Britain's biggest oil refineries is scrambling to refinance over fears it could collapse because of plunging demand for fuel during the pandemic.

Essar Oil, which operates the Stanlow oil refinery in Ellesmere Port, produces 16pc of the UK’s diesel and petrol as well as almost 10bn litres of aviation fuel a year.

Government officials are said to have been in talks with Essar about the refinery due to concerns over the impact on the economy if its parent business becomes insolvent."

Nort really surprising!

So many people with their cars on the driveway and planes parked up at airports
I bought £40 this week - first for some 2 months!
 Stanlow oil refinery - Bill Payer
The aviation fuel goes by pipeline to Manchester - working around that will be a logistical challenge.
 Stanlow oil refinery - R.P.
It's a massive place. Used to pass it regularly on the way to see gigs etc in Manchester. Not surprised it's struggling really. Maybe Brexit will make it easier UK Govt to pump money into it.
 Stanlow oil refinery - Zero
Its not just fuel in liquid from. Tried to get any LPG and its cracked offshoots for your BBQ and Caravan? Its a nightmare.
 Stanlow oil refinery - henry k
>> Tried to get any LPG and its cracked >> offshoots for your BBQ and Caravan? Its a nightmare.
>>

Have you tried
calor.london/about-us/ . They are just off the A3 at New Malden.
I have used them for decades for all sorts of stuff.
I swaped an empty blue cylinder that I had no use for for a full green cylinder for just the recharge fee. No problem so I was well pleased.

Makes me smile when I see cylinders dumped at tips.
Cost to hire a cylinder and many other bits of info.
calor.london/faq/
 Stanlow oil refinery - R.P.
Oh no ! After months of prevarication we've bought a gas powered fire pit ! :-)
>> Oh no ! After months of prevarication we've bought a gas powered fire pit !
>> :-)

WTF < slaps head > no no NO!

Gas is for BBQs, cross over camping vehicles or Patio Heaters. A fire pit is for wood,
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 11 Apr 21 at 09:58
 Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m - Falkirk Bairn
Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m to save refinery from bankruptcy and endanger 16% of the UK refining capacity. Apparently 6 months support & interest payable on loan. Saves Essar UK but Eassar India is India's problem

1500 direct & contractor employees & 5,000 in supply chain.

If it had closed all NW Filling stations+ supplies to airports would have ceased.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/04/24/taxman-throws-400m-lifeline-troubled-stanlow-refinery/
 Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m - zippy
I had a few good visits to the Stanlow refinery under Essar's ownership.

Amazing place with its own fire station. Friendly staff.

A decent (and if I recall correctly, free) canteen was also open for all staff and visitors.
>>if I recall correctly, free) canteen - that's a carry over from Shell.

A son worked for Shell in the Aberdeen office as a contractor - free lunches and many other perks.
Did not apply to contractors.

Working on a Shell Gabon project about 6 Shell & 2 x contractors flew out a Aberdeen to Paris - Shell Staff were business class and my son, who was the Project Leader was cattle class.

He had just finished the design project for a Shell gas terminal - much of the money they got for Stanlow was swallowed up by the Gas Terminal - the design project was about £100m in the end, it was megabucks for the construction - made in India & assembled then shipped here in modules
 Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m - Lygonos

>>Amazing place with its own fire station. Friendly staff.

Used to live next door to a fireman (regular service) who was one of the first on the scene at 1987's blast in Grangemouth.

He told me as his crew was arriving the on-site fire crew were running away from the cracker telling the regulars to pull back.

Whoosh.

apnews.com/article/b528117ccb229b28ba91789f26e880ee
 Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m - zippy
>>
>> Whoosh.
>>
>> apnews.com/article/b528117ccb229b28ba91789f26e880ee
>>

The office block at Stanlow whilst several floors high, is built as a refuge in case of incident.

Huge thick concrete walls and small windows. When touring the site there were various marked escape routes and bunkers marked out to flee to should the need arise.
The Grangemouth refinery + plastics + gas plants are pretty dangerous places. The few explosions make the headlines BUT in the last 65 years that I know off there were very few fatal accidents due to BIG Bangs.

More people have died from disease brought on by exposure to chemicals, gases & asbestos.

My BiL died aged 48, 32 years ago - BP employee aged 24 to 47 years. BP said "Not our fault he contracted mesothelioma" we are super careful on Health & Safety matters.

Just after his death a fellow employee died of asbestosis aged around 45 - he had worked there from age of 15! BP had nobody else to blame.
 Stanlow oil refinery - UK Govt loan of £400m - bathtub tom
>>My BiL died aged 48, 32 years ago - BP employee aged 24 to 47 years. BP said "Not our fault he contracted mesothelioma" we are super careful on Health & Safety matters.

I know someone who may be the only survivor of working in a GlaxoSmithKline property where they used to machine asbestos flasks for industry. They've asbestosis diagnosed over ten years ago.

I used to use the stuff, Philips Screwfix. Came in a tobacco tin that you'd spit on to moisten and stuff in a screw hole before the days of wall plugs. Also used to use bags of what I now presume was blue asbestos to temporarily fill cable holes overnight (like bean bags, we'd use it as a football). Used to hacksaw plates of the stuff to cut around new cables.
 Stanlow oil refinery - DP

>> Gas is for BBQs,

You mean charcoal is for BBQs. BBQing with gas? Might as well cook it indoors. ;)
 Stanlow oil refinery - MD
Celebration time here soon. Our last portable BBQ (gas) is being given away to the SIL who intends to keep the shell and use it for charcoal or wood. We've got a perfectly good cooker and hob within feet of the garden. It's fly and bird poop and wind free and we also have room in the Kitchen to keep stuff warm. Ruddy BBQ's. Pah!...........

>> bird poop and wind free and we also have room in the Kitchen to keep
>> stuff warm. Ruddy BBQ's. Pah!...........

ALARM ALARM. MOG ALERT
Latest Forum Posts