Motoring Discussion > BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 128

BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - tyrednemotional
(after E.J. Thribb)

After 5 pleasurable years of owning a BMW X1 2.0i Xline, the time has come for a change.

I signed on the bottom line for a Volvo XC40 B4 AWD Inscription Pro this morning, hopefully to be available in about 8 weeks.

It'll most probably be the last largely petrol car I buy (though it is a mild-hybrid, with a battery about the size of an AAA), but it is time to enjoy the "evening star".

It has so many toys on it that I'd be concerned about electrical consumption if it were full battery anyway ;-)

The chip shortage has hit Volvo slightly; the Driver Assistance package (which wasn't a critical part of the package, but I'd specified), isn't available (they can't get the bits to implement BLIS, apparently), so, having originally chosen FWD to keep me under £40K, I switched to AWD (a la BMW) and without the former, it just crept in.

It's roughly in the same marketing space as the X1, but a rather different car and character. I'd initially put it down the list on the basis of gearbox (suspected DCT - which I think it is/was on the pure petrol models) and the touch-screen control for everything. I then discovered the 2-litre mild-hybrids had the same Aisin TC gearbox as the current X1. The touchscreen makes for neatness, but not necessarily the best safety (a surprise for Volvo), but the key functions are simple to control using voice.

A test drive was had, (at the drop of a hat - FWD, but otherwise exactly the required spec) and it impressed. The main (and probably only) criticisms I would have of the X1 were the seats (theyre merely "OK", and I have the better sports seats) and road noise, both of which were considerably better in the XC40. The voice control under real conditions was also fine (which is a relief, because the fingerprints on the touchscreen are going to get to me - OCD, moi?).

The X1 has kept a remarkable proportion of it's original value. Even the WBAC offer (bettered in p/ex) is over 55% of what I paid for it 5 years ago. It is only on 20k miles (the benefit of having a Smart used for local purposes and a motorhome used for holidays - over 10k per annum between all of them) but it's still nice to have bought the right car at the right time. In some ways, I'll be sorry to see it go - it'll make someone a fine car until/unless something major goes wrong, but it's time for a change.

I'm equidistant from a number of different Volvo dealers. The one that gave me the test drive got the first chance to try to sell me one (and failed at the first hurdle - absolutely no figures for 10 days, despite chivvying). Subsequently they've been in touch, but are nowhere near the offer I've accepted from a different dealer (response on the spot - then, after a change of spec, and a challenge to sharpen the pencil, I got the (IMO good) deal I wanted).

Hence the purchase today. Wish me luck that they can still find enough chips! ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 13:35
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Zero
I like them, its a smart looking wagon. Alas the 40 and 60 are not large enough in the dog department, and the 90 is TFB.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 13:44
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - PeterS
I also like them…they’re good looking cars. On the X1 front, I think most used cars are in strong demand at the moment following last years low sales of new cars. A good time to change.

Mild Hybrid really ought not to be a thing; while the Merc is also one I’m under no illusion is makes any difference to the economy in the real world!
>>
>> Mild Hybrid really ought not to be a thing; while the Merc is also one
>> I’m under no illusion is makes any difference to the economy in the real world!
>>

....very little, but what it does help to do (or at least the figures indicate) is to flatten the torque curve quite considerably, and make sure it comes in early in the rev range, by adding (electric) assistance when required.

I wasn't particularly sold on mild-hybrid, it's just that that characteristic helps to keep it close to the X1's power and torque figures (and introduces the possibility of retaining a TC auto).
Thanks - I didn’t realise they also had that effect. Having now looked at the figures for mine, it has 300bhp and the 48v mild hybrid adds 14 of boost for short periods. It also has 400Nm of torque, and the mild hybrid bit adds 150Nm, though below 2,500 rpm (peak torque is between 3 and 4,000 rpm) but again only for a short time. Mind you, it does only have a 0.9KwH battery. So that’s not surprise…

The XC40 also comes in some very nice colours, which makes a change from the usual BMW/MB/Audi black, grey, silver and white. If I had a need for that sort of car it’d be top of my list. Please us know how you get on with it :)
>> The XC40 also comes in some very nice colours, which makes a change from the
>> usual BMW/MB/Audi black, grey, silver and white.

..they've dialled the colour choice down this MY, and the non-white/black ones are all a little meh!

(It looks a very nice car in metallic black or white, the latter particularly with the black roof which isn't an option on the Inscription - but I've lived with the impracticality of both black and white, and would rather avoid).

Of the remaining choices, the least dull one is "Fusion Red", which was a possibility, but it is definitely a bit "Tango" in some lights.

Hence the choice of "Pebble Grey" (which isn't), which wasn't going to get chosen, because I couldn't see the car in it anywhere (pictures are no good). Anyway, there was one on the forecourt this morning, and it won out over "Tango".

An uninspiring, but reasonably dignified "Champagne" colour much like a V70 I had back in the days when Pontius was still a pilot (I'm sure some on here will insist on calling it beige ;-) ). Doesn't need washing quite as much as most of the other colours.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Runfer D'Hills
I like those too T&E. Fine choice.

But, yes, you do of course realise the level of ammunition you have now provided by a man of a certain age buying a beige Volvo...?

;-)))
>> But, yes, you do of course realise the level of ammunition you have now provided
>> by a man of a certain age buying a beige Volvo...?
>>
>> ;-)))
>>

...well, someone has to provide the archetype......and I do like to live up to expectations.

(I shall need the full month's training course from NASA to work all the "systems" though).

.....and a red one would have been so Cheshire.....
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 20:16
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Bobby
Good luck with the new Volvo TnE. As you know I am a fellow X1 xline owner, although I have the 2.0 diesel version.
Still absolutely love the car - interesting you saying about tyre noise, when I switched from the factory fit Bridgestones to the all season Michelins I noticed a substantial reduction in tyre noise.

Interested on your car valuation - mine new (Sept 2016) was £39500 list price though I have no idea what the previous owner actually paid. I got it for £21500 in Jun 2019 at 9000 miles. Now on about 30k miles coming up for its 5th birthday. Obviously I would think petrol values will be greater than diesel!

I have never liked Volvos especially the ones with that "floating" centre console though yours doesnt seem to have that. I love my gadgets and toys but even I think I might get frustrated with everything on the touch screen, even basic functions.

I do like the idrive, very capable now of driving and using my left hand to twiddle the knob (oo-er) for specific functions whilst glancing at the screen. Think it could be differen though having to look at the screen and make sure you touch the right button.

Enjoy the new car!
You have to twiddle your knob? how quaint - I tell mine what to do.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - bathtub tom
>>I tell mine what to do.

What about when she's not in the car?
>> >>I tell mine what to do.
>>
>> What about when she's not in the car?

That one ignores me - at best.
Not sure if my car has the “speech” function but I generally stay away from any of these types of things whether it be Alexa, Google, Siri or whatever.
Easier to press a button to do what you require rather than press a button to speak to try and remember the key words you need to use to get it to do what you could have already done by yourself!
>Interested on your car valuation - mine new (Sept 2016) was £39500 list price though I have no
>idea what the previous owner actually paid. I got it for £21500 in Jun 2019 at 9000 miles. Now
>on about 30k miles coming up for its 5th birthday. Obviously I would think petrol values will be
>greater than diesel!

...always difficult to tell what the real valuation is, as the final invoice figures get manipulated to meet the "cost to change" hurdle I tend to set (I'm not bothered how they represent the p/ex and discount as long as they come to an acceptable figure). It was certainly adjusted up to do that, but even the quick benchmark first offer I got from WBAC (July 16 car) was over £18K - I've no doubt I could have got more by waiting for them to come back.

>Not sure if my car has the "speech" function but I generally stay away from any of these types of
>things whether it be Alexa, Google, Siri or whatever.
>Easier to press a button to do what you require rather than press a button to speak to try and
>remember the key words you need to use to get it to do what you could have already done by
>yourself!

As per my original, this was one of the things that raised a question in my search. My X1 doesn't have "voice". In fact, the only car I've had with reasonably comprehensive voice control is the Mondeo I had as my first post-retirement non-company car. That was generally used as a gimmick, but was functional.

The XC40 has climate controls on the touch screen, but readily available in a fixed position - a number of other functions are supplied via steering-wheel buttons (and a cursor-selectable display in the instrument panel, not the central screen). The critical test, however, was whether I could achieve the required adjustment(s) without reading the manual, and those I tested it with, I could, and easily.

The system prompts with options, and will walk you through a complete option-tree if you wish. I like to think it gave the prompts in the instrument panel screen, but frankly, it was so intuitive, I can't vouch for that (it might have been the centre). For example, I easily managed to set the required temperature, and then re-synchronise the two sides of the climate-zones.

In fact, I think one of the best parts of the test-drive was that it just felt "right". I didn't think (even with complete unfamiliarity and some technology overload) that it felt like I was driving an unfamiliar car, and it was comfortable and everything to hand.

I liked almost every aspect, though I could live without the "Orrefors Crystal Gear Lever" fitted to this version (and obviously targeting the Cheshire North Western clientele).

(I also found out only yesterday that it is likely to come with only one full-function remote key, and a second, reduced-functionality one that you can set a top speed for - that should at least be good for winding-up the current Mrs 'nE).
Ah, that might explain why beige Volvos go everywhere at 40mph? Did wonder.

;-))
...man with black, mirrorless Fiat Jeepolino makes joke about beige pebble grey Volvo.... ??? ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 6 Jun 21 at 11:31
It's ok, no really it is, I realised a very long time ago that trying to explain "cool" to a Yorkshireman has about as much future as trying to teach algebra to my terrier. You know when a dog puts its head on one side as it tries to work out what you mean, but you just know nothing is going in...?

;-))
...yeah, I had that same difficulty with Algebra as your dog (and partial differentiation as well).

The dog is actually looking at you and thinking "He buys a Fiat Jeepolino, and then expects me to listen to him whilst he pretends he understands Algebra!??"
tinyurl.com/y3nnhnzz
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 6 Jun 21 at 12:25
:-))))))
Just ran my car details through WBAC - £18900 which is less than £3k depreciation for me in 2 years which is quite amazing for a diesel I feel?
In 9 weeks it has increased in value to £20315!

These used values are crazy!
They are indeed, my wife's Renegade is now evidently worth £1000 more as a trade in now than we paid for it retail in March.

Not that we'll be selling it, parting her from that car at the moment would be like asking her to sell a child.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - legacylad
WBAC value my Focus Active Business X estate at £400 more than I paid in April.
Purely academic at the moment as it’s in the last chance saloon...although I did offer it to an ex gf last week and she scoffed at its lack of cylinders. She’s a straight six kinda girl.
What would you get, sorry, what will you get to replace it?
>> What would you get, sorry, what will you get to replace it?
>>
Stupid me. Should have bought my friends A3 at £1k less than WBAC offered, taken the Focus Active to Spain late October, flown home 23/12, flown back late Feb 2022, driven Focus home through France early April. That way I’ve a car to use inSpain on the unmade mountain roads without the hassle cost & worry of a rental for 90 days, and a car to use for 2 months whilst back in the uk. Then make a decision.
Double drat.
>> What would you get, sorry, what will you get to replace it?
>>
‘motorway’ one of the WCAC type operations, ,have today, theoretically, offered me £1850 more than I paid for it in April.

I’ve nothing to replace it with, and, the good news, a friend in Spain has offered me use of his car whilst I’m there for 7 weeks pre Christmas. That will cost me a few pints of Alhambra.
No Brittany Ferries cruise then, but you can’t have everything.
Guess you could just cut and run now then if it's not living up to your hopes? Maybe do that and get a cheapo runabout for now like you did once before? Prices will surely stabilise again in time, you'd think anyway.

BTW, I've just heard of a nicely kept E350d estate that might be for sale soon. It's beige apparently, but apart from that it sounds like a nice car...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 24 Aug 21 at 16:33
>> BTW, I've just heard of a nicely kept E350d estate that might be for sale
>> soon. It's beige apparently, but apart from that it sounds like a nice car...

Does it stink of shoes?
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - No FM2R
What are the rims like? I have heard that some cars have been frequently dragged along cobbled kerb stones.
>>
>> Does it stink of shoes?
>>

...I think that has two more cylinders than a rep-mobile....
No not my car. This is another one I've heard of...belongs to a bloke who's going green in a couple of ways.
>> >>
>> >> Does it stink of shoes?
>> >>
>>
>> ...I think that has two more cylinders than a rep-mobile....

Yer, Its a proper Merc, so one would hope it would have been treated with a bit of care....

>> Yer, Its a proper Merc, so one would hope it would have been treated with
>> a bit of care....

Aye but to be fair, it'll not be worth much, it's beige for goodness sake. Who would buy a beige Merc eh? Even in the next category down, like with a BMW or a Volvo for example, you'd not find many who would go for a beige one. You can see why some might have a beige Honda Jazz or the like, you know, when they really no longer care and so on, but a beige Merc?

Not right is it?

;-)
I'm sure its not too offensive seen from behind. Lets face it that the only view you will get.
Strictly speaking no, I quite often see these things with fuel guzzling engines in my rear view mirror as they indicate to turn into yet another filling station I don't need to stop at.

>> rear view mirror as they indicate to turn into yet another filling station I don't
>> need to stop at.

Oh well, at least they are not standing in a puddle of chip fat getting oil all over their noxious coloured desert boots.
One of my favourite company cars was an S211 E class estate in cubanite silver. Which was a type of silvery beige. Not gold though, fortunately. They did one in that colour as well ;)
A few decades ago, when in business and needing lots of carrying capacity, I bought a high mileage L reg E200 Estate. Petrol job. Rear seats permanently down. Heck of a car, never let me down and I eventually exchanged it with a supplier for a load of stock! Replaced it with a VW LWB Transporter.
Presumably newer Mercs don’t have a foot operated brake ?
Mine (2016) has the silly foot operated parking brake, not sure about the newer ones.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Kevin
How do you do a quick U-turn if you're ambushed by a rival footwear gang?
J turn, don't need a handbrake for that.

...perfectly executed there's also a full load-bay of hush-puppies ejected into the road to confuse/delay your potential assailants.....
...imperfectly executed there are damaged rims, and an awful lot of (now) brown shoes to place in the trade....
>> ...perfectly executed there's also a full load-bay of hush-puppies ejected into the road to confuse/delay
>> your potential assailants.....
>>
And they couldn’t get traction on a load of Crocs so he could make a snappy escape...

Where did Crocs originate ? Awful things.
>> Mine (2016) has the silly foot operated parking brake, not sure about the newer ones.
>>
>>

No longer…mine has an electric ‘handbrake’, though pleasingly (not that I ever use it) the switch to activate it is where the release lever was in Mercs with foot operated parking brakes :)
Put a shedling behind it and who can tell?

>> Not that we'll be selling it, parting her from that car at the moment would
>> be like asking her to sell a child.

Sometimes thats not a very high threshold.
>> In 9 weeks it has increased in value to £20315!
>>
>> These used values are crazy!

They are, the WBAC value of my Beemer has gone up by 5k since January. Friend selling his A1 to his daughter found similar.

If you are buying new, Manufacturers are giving up to 6 month delivery times in some cases, and you cant get all the features you want to specify.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 12 Aug 21 at 10:47
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - R.P.
V60 CC T5 is still going well. It's white and I rather like it, mileage profile has changed a lot since I bought it. Only 14k in 21 months ownership. It has lived through carryiing massive loads of food over the lockdown (delivering and collecting for the Foodbank) - since 1st June it has taken 7 full loads of "stuff" to the recycling park. We were talking about its smoothness yesterday. Much less roadnoise than the 335 or Mrs RP's MINI Clubman, gearbox is nowhere near as good as the BMW's. But as a passanger yesterday I found the ride quality sublime. It can pick up its skirts when pressed with huge ooomph from the Polestar upgrade. Forums mention that V60s and V90s are having their spec stripped out for the 22 model year, including the load cover ! Talks and thoughts ongoing about its future. Do we need such a big car now as we're down to one dog ? We'll see.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Slightlyfatdirector
I have ordered a new V90 for delivery in October and the spec looks fine. Does mention a load cover and I have not been informed of anything dropping off the spec yet... Also Pebble Grey as to be honest it's really the nicest colour. The choice of colours is very limited, White, black, a couple of shades of grey or a very dull looking blue. Nothing interesting at all sadly. ...
That’s a shame…Volvo always used to offer more variety of colours than the Germans, and many of them looked far better than white/silver/grey/black…
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - DP
Subjective I know, but Volvo is the only car manufacturer I can think of that doesn't make a single unattractive looking car. Interiors are lovely as well.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Duncan
>> Subjective I know, but Volvo is the only car manufacturer I can think of that
>> doesn't make a single unattractive looking car.

Quite right.

Volvo don't make a single unattractive car.

Every one of their cars is unattractive.
>>Volvo is the only car manufacturer I can think of that doesn't make a single unattractive looking car

Not sure it's always been so, but certainly I think their cars are good looking these days.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Slightlyfatdirector
Everyone has their own view on this I guess. It was actually my daughter's 22 year old car-mad boyfriend that was raving about how good-looking the V90 was before it was even on the 'potentials' list to replace the Merc.
I had a 2014 V70 beforehand (one of the last properly boxy estates) and that did look a little (well, a lot) dated, but going back to 2005 I had an S60 which I still think looks great now. I think the current S90 / V90's look fab.

Looking forward to finding out whether the seats are comfy on a long trip, as the Mercedes ones are torture....
The V60 went for some recall work the other week, fair play to the dealer, they washed it as well. It looked b***** good, very pretty cars. V90 was far too big for us, but a superb looking car.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Manatee

>> >> These used values are crazy!
>>
>> They are, the WBAC value of my Beemer has gone up by 5k since January.
>> Friend selling his A1 to his daughter found similar.

Just had the insurance renewal for my MX-5 - a 2017 Arctic 1.5 with 18,000 miles.

I slightly overpaid for it 4 years ago, 6 months old and 4,000 miles at £18.5k, but it was the car I wanted.

A couple of years ago they were going for £14-15k, and trade -in value was about £11k. I checked the estimated value on the renewal details which was £10k, which I suspected is a bit low.

I found 5 for sale at the moment. Only 2 of 5 are less than I paid for nearly-new 4 years ago:

9,400 miles - £18499
9,200 - £18700
6,300 - £18699
24,900 - £17700
35,000 - £17499

There have been some price rises on new - mine was £21k new at list, that's now £24k-£26k. Nevertheless...

I'm still keeping it, mine's better than the new ones, and unlike them it's been rust-protected.

The new ones are 56Kg. heavier, which seems mainly owing to having a useless thing called i-ELOOP which is a high output alternator and a big capacitor to charge the battery on the overrun, supposedly saving <1mpg. Some dependent on trim, they also have a whole bunch of other unnecessary or sometimes annoying features such as stop-start, lane-keeping, driver attention alert and traffic sign recognition.
...slightly later than the 8 weeks (something I rather expected), the car has arrived at the dealer today.

The salesman is going to send me a couple of photos through, just to confirm that it is in fact beige. ;-)

It needs to be PDI'd and paperwork sorting, and I'm away in the motorhome for a few days from Sunday, so Sept 10th is designated Volvo day to avoid rushing things.

I think I should probably be more excited than I feel.
>>I think I should probably be more excited than I feel.

To be honest I feel nothing special when buying a new car, no particular joy or excitement, though perhaps some satisfaction, until the moment I get to drive it.

And then at that moment it's total joy. That is the moment when the excitement hits me. Banging the steering wheel and yelling, sort of joy. And I love that moment. Absolutely love it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 Sep 21 at 16:28
>>Banging the steering wheel...

Maybe just remember they usually have airbags in them now before you try that one again...

I've heard they can smart a bit when they go off? Wouldn't know, but maybe Z can comment, he has a lot more experience in regard to these matters I gather.

;-)
I was briefly parked next to a new beige XC40 at Tibshelf services today.

Frail old chap got out of it. I did wonder if...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 1 Sep 21 at 16:40
...delivery driver.... (even though the description fits ;-) )

As I'm away in the interim, I cleared the Satnav (recent destinations, home, etc) tonight, and used the option in I-drive to "Remove all personal settings".

That comes with a clear warning that it might take 15 minutes (and can only be done with ignition on and engine off).

Once it had completed (in about 10 seconds) there was then an instruction that the car had to be locked and left for at least 15 minutes (for a reboot).

What the hell takes all that time to achieve?

(Though it does seem to have reverted/lost all personal settings that I checked - from both user/driver profiles).

BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - smokie
I'm sure there is probably a huge safety margin built in but maybe a central brain reloads peripheral brains, like when you do a firmware update on a PC or phone, during which a reboot would brick your device. Or maybe it downloads stuff ( - is it connected?) and re-initialises everything..
...well, the deed is done, and I am now the proud owner of a metallic beige pebble grey, near-top-of-the-range, XC40.

It's an odd time to be buying (or even selling) cars, and the experience has followed that line. It was ordered back at the beginning of June, and we and the dealer have exchanged but a few emails and three 'phone calls since, and in the whole process they've had my signature once at the start, and once at the end (no endless sheaves of paper for GAP, body protection, tyre insurance, etc. etc. etc. (though I think they've now realised that they missed me!))

The salesman must have spent at least 30 seconds looking at my p/ex back in June, and other than looking across the forecourt today to check I'd dropped it off, that was it. In the meantime, the WBAC price has gone up by getting on £2,000! I factored a bit of that into the deal, got them to underwrite a value whatever the delay, and they didn't stick me with any of the two price rises on the Volvo that have taken place since (in very short order). In addition, I'm told the supply of similar cars has now just about dried up (the one I've got being in a scheduled dealer build-slot when I ordered it).

I was quite amused (not) when they tried to charge me £500 extra on the balance because they couldn't trace my deposit. (They then asked me to check it had actually gone through the bank - which it had - and ultimately trusted me to pay up if it hadn't). It has no doubt been booked against another vehicle.

In addition, since my bank has no means of pre-authorising, I fully expected the balance to bounce, and was ready with the direct line to the fraud department. Every other large payment thus made has dutifully been rejected - this time it sailed immediately through. I nearly fell off the chair!

So, other than missing the pre-loaded data sim to work all the in-car online stuff, everything appears to be as expected, with no missing functionality due to absent chips. (I'd just bought a large capacity data sim for other reasons, so all the online function is tested and working OK, and I've been promised a replacement in the post).

The tyre pressures were a bit high as well (baseline recommended at 33 all round, but with an "Eco" setting of 38, they were all at 39.5. I reduced them to 35.5 (and then had to re-train the TPMS) and subjectively they seem a bit better.

I wonder what else they've missed on the PDI?

I have a longish journey planned for the middle of next week, so the verdict is going to be a bit more definitive by then, but, initial impressions are reasonable. It seems slightly less "planted" than the BMW, but with a better ride, and rather less road and wind noise (TBH, I also think the change in tyre pressures, and a dial-down of some of the electronics has reduced a bit of the handling gap with the BMW). I'm pretty sure I can take the compromise, anyway.

The seats are, at first impressions, rather better than the BMW's (where I had the better-rated sports-seats), and they certainly feel more like cow than the BMW (or MB, for that matter). Fiendishly clever these Chinese.

I'm expecting to take a hit on fuel-consumption, but frankly, with my mileage, it doesn't matter other than for man-maths.

The remaining concern was the electronics, and manipulation thereof. Frankly, I'm glad that the one "Driver Support" option I was considering became unavailable due to the chip issues. I don't think I could take much more "electro-nag" and have dialled down much of what I still have. Thankfully, first impressions from the test drive have proven reliable - much of the everyday interaction can be achieved by steering-wheel or other physical-button controls (with a fall-back to "voice"). There is an awful lot of other "stuff" you almost need a degree in astrophysics for, which is quite "incestuous" and largely accessed via touch-screen interfaces. I've just about got to grips with it, but remain rather unconvinced with swathes of capability that is made quite easy (and so far, attractive) to turn off.

...oh, and the audio seems rather better than the BMW as well.

So far, so good, but the proof of the pudding will be in the longer journey.
Sounds good, but do remember to factor in longer journey times given the need to maintain a steady 40mph now in all circumstances... ;-)

...I'm not following you anywhere.

The main thing for the time being of course, is that it has obviously been given a liberal spraying from the "new car smell" aerosol.
Before the Focus Active Estate arrived the XC40 was on my short list ....lovely cabin ambience, nice looks, etc and plenty of choice in the spec I wanted. FWD, not AWD, 2.0 197 engine, sunroof..but at the end of the day I didnt get on with the auto box and you got so much more bang for your buck, plus interior space, with the Ford.
At the expense of build quality, which I was happy to accept given how much cheaper it was...sub £20k for almost new.
And it handles beautifully...just lacks oomph, but the overall saving gets me a lot of time overseas.
But Henry is hanging in there .....
Welcome to the world of Volvo. My V60 T5 CC is great and I agree on the less planted feel than my old 335. It's a good car - and suprisingly nippy for such a barge.
...I had a V70 back in the day (20 years ago) as a company car, so it's not my first foray.

That was a car I liked a lot (and was rather more metallic beige than the current one, which most definitely does look grey(-ish) in most lights).
...having now had my first (c400-mile in a day) long trip in the new XC40, I thought it was time to put a further set of (admittedly subjective) impressions up.

A bit of detail follows but, to cut to the chase, I'm pleased with the car, and it is in many/most respects an improvement on the X1 (though remember, I'm comparing a car that was 5 years old when I last drove it, and the XC40 is new, and a three year younger design with a number of advances).

Before the journey, I nipped back to the dealer to get my (omitted) SIM card. What should have been a two minute set-up in the car took around 45 minutes using my 'phone. (The problem was, I think, that where it was parked had no Vodafone reception, so the SIM couldn't be used to set itself up. It didn't start working for a few minutes after I'd driven off - along with other things, it supports real-time traffic info for the satnav so worth sorting).

First, the small number of downsides:

The Satnav, though entirely adequate, is not as nice to use or view as that in the BMW. TBH, this may simply be a matter of familiarity.
The centre touch-screen display (tablet sized, portrait) is rather bright in normal daylight, and cannot be dimmed. (I now understand the level can be adjusted once it self-dims in low light). It isn't helped by the fact that the satnav maps are displayed during the day with white terrain background - hence in-yer-face "bright".
The controls/settings are not as easy to adjust through the touch-screen as they are with the BMW I-drive (at least on the move; the XC40 is probably easier/quicker to adjust whilst stationary). This was expected, but is less of an issue than one might think, since many/most common (on-road) functions are still available via physical controls. (The test-drive led me to believe this was so, I now know it is).
The fuel consumption is possibly marginally worse (though conditions weren't good on much of the journey, the car should still be a bit "tight", and more of the journey was done on challenging roads than normally (Northumberland CC have seemingly closed half their road network for resurfacing)). Nonetheless, the trip reading was exactly 39.0mpg over best part of 400 miles (not too bad for a 2.0 petrol AWD with the aerodynamics of a brick - Runfer was obviously correct about the advantages of keeping to 40mph all the time ;-)).
Under certain circumstances, the "auto hold" function (which is otherwise great, and absent on the BMW) doesn't play well with the start-stop. When auto-hold is engaged, the engine shouldn't restart until the accelerator is used; under certain circumstances simply removing ones foot from the brake restarts the engine, which is rather annoying (I think this is a bug arising from a settings conflict; I think I know which, and can avoid the issue, but apparently a similar issue has been around for some time, appearing and disappearing after various software upgrades).

Now the good bits:

SWMBO likes it (important ones first)
Though not as "planted as the BMW, the ride/handling balance is, for me, much better. The handling is acceptable (a bit more roll, but the vehicle is higher so that's fairly natural), but the ride is a big improvement (even on 19" wheels). This is accompanied by less wind-noise, and substantially less road-noise/tyre roar.
The impression gained from test-driving that (for me at least) it was very easy to get just the right seating position, with good external visibility and the controls just where you want them, has continued through into ownership. The XC40 has digital instruments which are very clear, and (unlike the BMW, where it was impossible despite any form of adjustment for me to see both the top and bottom of the instruments at the same time - something I've seen criticised in a number of reviews) they are entirely and immediately visible.
And the seats.... I think some of the most comfortable seats I've had in the past were in the V70 20 years ago - these match that. They simply fit!
The audio quality is also rather better than the BMW (which had front speakers in the floor under the front seats! Those in the XC40 are hidden somewhere in the dash - apparently using some of the construction for sound, and are clearer and better directioned.

All that means that, despite a 400-mile round-trip (the return in the dark and driving rain) it was much like driving the lounge up to Northumberland and back. I arrived back rather less fatigued than I normally do.

As an addition (with the minor glitch on the auto-hold), all the toys seem to work well, and generally add some function that might get used regularly (active high-beam, bending headlights, speed limit assist with road-sign recognition, etc. (the latter with added braking, which wasn't on the BMW assist). I've turned a bit of the electro-nag off (lane-keep assist will steer for you, and/or shake the steering wheel - the former is switchable, the latter isn't, but is inhibited by signalling - which I can now do as it is not a BMW ;-) )

Volvo continue to dial-down/remove options (not all of them chip-related - some are bodywork/trim), and there have been some surprising changes (you can't now inhibit start/stop, for instance). I also think I was relatively lucky with the model option I chose; some people who ordered before me have been quoted March for delivery! (I understand mine was a dealer-reserved build slot, and I think the more electricky versions are taking a bigger delay).

Overall, then, a happy bunny.

Thanks for the update…I do think that the XC40 is the best looking car of its genre, and I think read that there’s also a fully electric version now as well? IME Volvos have always had pretty good sound systems (well, this century at least…my Dad’s 740 estate in 1987 didn’t have one at all as standard and had a pioneer unit fitted on delivery). Conversely the sound systems in BMWs never sound as good as they should…and the upgrades are silly prices.

I wonder if the inability to switch off stop/start is an emissions / regs thing? Seems a mean thing to remove if not. And do Volvos still have the helpful little clip by the windscreen pillar to hold keep the parking ticket in place?

>> I wonder if the inability to switch off stop/start is an emissions / regs thing?
>> Seems a mean thing to remove if not. And do Volvos still have the helpful
>> little clip by the windscreen pillar to hold keep the parking ticket in place?
>>

...the forum that highlighted the deletion of the "soft" button (there is/was no hard one) theorizes the effects of emissions regulations. (It also suggests there might be a simple way round it, but I haven't checked it out yet).

The clip has survived the bean-counters; why is it not a widespread standard?
Sounds like it might be something that could be ‘coded out” by someone with the right software then I guess? The only other manufacturer I’m aware of with the clip is Skoda!
>> Sounds like it might be something that could be ‘coded out” by someone with the
>> right software then I guess?

I have coded the beemer to remember the last status. If you turn off S/S it stays that way rather than being reset at turn off and door lockings.
>>
>> I have coded the beemer to remember the last status. If you turn off S/S
>> it stays that way rather than being reset at turn off and door lockings.
>>

Did you wait until it was out of warranty Z, or dive straight in when you got it?
Waited till it was out of warranty. Coded the dipping door mirror so it dips less on reverse, the rear hatch is now one touch close from fob and interior button, it has gear selected display, the S/S as described above, the second exhaust flap is now permanently activated, and it now has Rolls Royce warning chimes.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Sep 21 at 21:36
>> Waited till it was out of warranty. Coded the dipping door mirror so it dips
>> less on reverse, the rear hatch is now one touch close from fob and interior
>> button, it has gear selected display, the S/S as described above, the second exhaust flap
>> is now permanently activated, and it now has Rolls Royce warning chimes.
>>

Just a few tweaks then! And avoided the ‘///M’ splash screen on start up ;)
...Volvo have already coded my car to remember the last status - it's "on"! ;-)

It appears that the change has been made recently - the MY21 manual details the switch (though I think some owners of MY21 do not have it). The online MY22 manual also details it.

As in most cars now, you can select from "Drive Modes", one of which "Dynamic" may inhibit Start/Stop (the manual is carp). You can create your own "Individual" mode based on one of the others and change parameters - there is a suggestion that starting with "Dynamic" would allow you to have a mode without Start/Stop, but with different parameters.

It's one of those things that will get tried over time.
If it’s like the Merc, you can create your own drive mode, called ‘individual’ in MB language, but when started it defaults to ‘C’ for comfort anyway, again for emissions reasons I guess. I expect you can code the car to start in ‘Individual’ too!
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - neiltoo
My 2007 SAAB Aero2T convertible has one.

8o)
>> My 2007 SAAB Aero2T convertible has one.
>>
>> 8o)
>>

Those Swedes think of everything…so you can leave a convertible parked, roof down, windows up and with a pay and display ticket visible with no danger of it blowing away!
I’ve just looked…the top spec (the only way to get a panoramic roof) electric one is £56,700. Which is a lot. Metallic paint is free though. And it has a heated steering wheel and heated grill emblem. I think I’d rather save the battery and not heat the grill emblem though ;)
Great to hear that you and Mrs T&E both like it, and indeed that it seems to be an improvement in many ways over your old car. May it give you many years of service and driving pleasure, while that is still allowed.

Bit puzzled though as to why you had to go 200 miles to find a garden centre?

;-)
..I needed special food for the whippets...
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - neiltoo
Or an excuse!

8o)
...I now have the issue with "auto hold" and "start stop" fully diagnosed and consistently repeatable.

The two play together properly until/unless the speed limiter is already set (before you ask, Runfer, yes, it's at 40mph ;-) ).

Once it is set, the two other items do not play together properly (even with auto hold on, releasing the brake restarts the engine, whereas that action should be irrelevant and it should require the accelerator to restart it - frankly, it negates any value of using auto hold when speed limit is set).

As I was out walking in the Peak District today, I called in at the dealer on the way back, and the car is now booked in for "software" in three weeks (could have been done early next week, but I'm away).

They certainly understand the problem, and the nuisance value thereof, but I think "software" is simply the universal panacea. (I'm pretty sure it is a software problem, but far less convinced they will have a fix for it available). Anyway, we'll see.

My X1 was obviously in good enough nick to go onto the forecourt, but I doubt they'll sell it at screen price. (around 66% of what I paid 5 years ago, and that included a 5-year service plan!). It needs to come down at least £2.5K, even in these inflated times.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Mr Moo
Current used car prices are bordering on the preposterous. There’s a 2012 Polo 1.4 Match in our village with a ‘For sale’ sign in the window. They’re asking £5,750 for it as a private sale. Couldn’t believe it.
Sounds good T&E. Forgot to ask, do the beige ones come with a travelling rug as standard or is that an aftermarket thing?
;-)
>> Sounds good T&E. Forgot to ask, do the beige ones come with a travelling rug
>> as standard or is that an aftermarket thing?
>> ;-)

www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1950s-60s-volvo-car-wool-1859385573
Perfect!
...just my vintage, but to find space I'd have to unload the trilby...
Think you need to change your handle. How about "Lovejoy"?
He needs one of these

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234171985055

and one of these

www.alamy.com/vintage-kerosene-burner-old-camping-bronze-stove-primus-isolated-on-white-background-image328484927.html
Actually, I rather like that picnic set. If I had ever got my Mk2 Jag, I would certainly have loaded one of those in for "trips out" and meets.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 18 Sep 21 at 12:13
I sometimes think car technology has gone a bit far.

The Volvo decided to text me yesterday evening, saying that the alarm had been triggered, and would I like to go and reset it.

Given that I was best part of 300 miles away, that was unlikely to happen.

I phoned a neighbour, who was sitting overlooking my drive, and had seen and heard nothing, but said he'd 'phone me back if he found any issue (he didn't).

Given that the house alarm had also fired twice whilst we were away (false alarms) it wasn't the most settling. (and my alarm company are so overrun, they can't/won't send anybody out in the short term unless I get a fault showing :-( ).

We came back today as planned anyway, and my mood wasn't helped by WMV partially removing the motorhome door mirror on a (not-so-narrow) Devon road, and not stopping. I've dashcam footage, and though his wheels were right on the centre white line, his mirror was over my side. The long-arm mirrors on a Ducato are like elephant-ears, however, so, though I consider myself largely the innocent party, any stewards' enquiry is quite likely to come to the conclusion of a "racing incident". At first, I thought it was completely borked, and the thought of driving 300 miles home with no driver's side mirror and no rearwards through-vision was rather daunting, but a bit of duct tape got it functional enough.

Replacement isn't entirely straightforward, as my mirror has non-standard indicators, and a temperature sensor attached. Looks like I might be able to sort it for around £140 with aftermarket parts if I partially cannibalise the broken one, but it needs some of the motorhome internal trim removing as well in order to get at the fixings.

...and, from the alarm indicator, it looks like the car alarm was triggered at least once - hope it isn't the start of repeat problems.

(And the dealer still hasn't found the missing £500 - I suspect they're chasing me again for evidence in order to tidy half-year accounts - I've copied them the transaction slip, and the line from my CC statement showing it processed, so they'd best start looking down the back of the sofa :-) ).

Yeah, y'see, I've heard all the excuses about mirrors before. Y'know, "it wasn't my fault, he was too far over" etc...

Shame though eh?

;-)
I don't know about shame; it is b***** annoying, though.

Can't think I could have made much more of it though (even with the dash cam and registration)

I turned round PDQ, though, i) on the slim chance he'd stopped, and ii) to pick up any salvageable bits.

It was a hell of a bang (albeit glancing), so I'm probably lucky it didn't take anything else out.

What was indicative was, on retracing steps, the dash cam showed all oncoming vehicles (several white vans and a couple of even wider lorries) at least a foot inside the white line, rather than on it.

You really mustn't be embarrassed about it, I mean, I suppose it's easy enough that see why you might feel that way, but hey, y'know, these things happen right?

No one will judge you here, and I'm fairly sure no one will remember to mention it ever again.

Just one of those things eh?...

;-)

...yeah, well; If I'd kept more to the left I'd have scuffed the alloys.....
Similar happened to me on Anglesey. Solid row of parked cars on my right and nothing on my left. Chancer thought he'd enough space and I wasn't prepared to go up the kerb - BANG, I was surprised the door mirror swinging back didn't take out the window. To be fair to him, he stopped and admitted liability. I found a local dealer who had the mirror glass quite reasonably and the miscreant coughed up.
Had a similar incident in a van. One hell of a bang as the mirror exploded. Fixed it up with Duct tape and bought one from a scrappy for the odd sum of £11.00. As Humph says you'll/we'll never hesr the end of it.
I've just been out on a petrol hunt. On the way back I noted that my NT windscreen sticker was now residing on the floor. Whilst the internal sensors would have to be rather sensitive, I suspect I might have found why the Volvo texted me. ;-)

All the required bits of trim have now been removed with zero damage, and I have full access for mirror removal and wiring routing. Aftermarket replacement is ordered, and it should all be fixed early next week.

(Given I was doing 18mph at point of impact (in a 30 limit), the damage is substantial; The casing is split top to bottom, the lower "blind-spot" mirror is cracked, and the (long) arm covers are totally borked. I did think about a case/arm cover replacement only, but the presence of the temperature sensor - which the replacement cases don't allow for, makes that less than attractive).
Beige Volvo with a National Trust sticker?

Oh my lord...

;-)
...free parking...

Carry on, my shoulders are broad (almost as broad as my 'van).
>> ...free parking...
>>
>> Carry on, my shoulders are broad (almost as broad as my 'van).

A little less broader tho
In the run-up both prior to ordering and getting my car, Volvo have made a bewildering set of changes to spec and available options, but the fundamental mechanics have remained the same.

I note today that the B4 engine (like mine) which is only available as an auto, has moved on the latest pricelist from an 8-speed TC box to a 7-speed (suspected DCT as with the smaller engine options) auto.

On figures it makes it slightly more nippy, and slightly more frugal, but somewhat heavier. The more powerful B5 (alone) retains the 8-speed box.

I wonder whether this is another supply-chain issue? If it is the same box as the lower spec engines I suspect the B5 produces too much power/torque for the 7-speed.

I wanted a TC box (so I'm not concerned) but I'll now have to go out and use manual changing and count the number of gears just to make sure there are 8 ​;-)

On another note, the 'van now has it's second "elephant ear" back. Having already removed the interior trim, It was a relatively easy but rather fiddly job (mainly cable routeing and breaking and making the electrical connections through the small hole made by removing the mirror controls from the armrest) The aftermarket replacement functions fully, and is of acceptable if not quite OE quality. It is, however, roughly half the discounted price of OE, and at least is "E" marked. The temperature sensor is on the underside of the mirror case on the OE and I initially thought it was missing, though the wiring was present; on this it is on the door mount (and it does give approximately the right reading).

There is an indicator in the casing, and the standard has a clear lens, and an orange 6W bulb. The "Tempo Libero/Free Time" version, on which many motorcaravans are built, for some reason have a similar shaped lens, but with an orange reflector and a clear 16W bulb. The Canbus isn't happy about the wrong bulb wattage. Luckily, the lens/bulb on the original was undamaged, and they have been swapped.

Job's a good 'un (well, it will be if I can get the interior trim back undamaged tomorrow) Fingers crossed.
>>
>> My X1 was obviously in good enough nick to go onto the forecourt, but I
>> doubt they'll sell it at screen price. (around 66% of what I paid 5 years
>> ago, and that included a 5-year service plan!). It needs to come down at least
>> £2.5K, even in these inflated times.
>>

...it was advertised online at somewhat less than the screen price showing on the forecourt. It was still there last Wednesday, but appears now to have been sold (disappeared from the dealers listings, and showing up as insured).

Should make someone a decent car, especially with a warranty for peace of mind.
...I'm not sure what it is with me and new cars but, after hearing a "bang" on the motorway returning from the coast yesterday evening (I rather hoped it was on the underside of the car) I now have a neat line of four very noticeable stone chips in the middle of the driver's door.

Six weeks old (mind you, that's longer than the BMW lasted unscathed; 4 days in a branch landed on the bonnet whilst parked in the Peak District, and left a number of dents. Luckily, a nice man recommended by the car dealer in the village called by and by paintless techniques made them invisible for the grand sum of £45).

Off for a tour of the local "Chips Away" style specialists tomorrow to see what the verdict is. :-(
one could be an accident, two circumstance, but 4? Thats out and out negligence. Even the humph only bruggered one wheel. Drivers door too, not even out of sight out of mind
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Oct 21 at 17:34
>> Even the humph only bruggered one wheel.
>>

...yeah, but that's different. Even though he swears it's true, I really doubt the kerbstone jumped out at him...
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Duncan
Zero admits to only one bus.

We don't know how accurate that figure is.
>> Zero admits to only one bus.
>>
>> We don't know how accurate that figure is.

Biggest one here*, anything else is of no consequence.

*now that RTJ is not here to mention his italian petrol tanker.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Bromptonaut
>> ...I'm not sure what it is with me and new cars but, after hearing a
>> "bang" on the motorway returning from the coast yesterday evening (I rather hoped it was
>> on the underside of the car) I now have a neat line of four very
>> noticeable stone chips in the middle of the driver's door.

Somebody been playing ducks and drakes?
>> Somebody been playing ducks and drakes?
>>

...given that it was the M18, "chicken" maybe, but not ducks and drakes....
....and another thing....

It's taken 6 weeks of ownership (though only 4 weeks driving) to notice that the n/s folding door mirror doesn't fold out to the same angle as the o/s. That's the whole mirror unit, not just the glass.

It is very asymmetrical, and once noticed can't be un-noticed.

It isn't easy to compare with other similar models since autofold is standard across the range, and most opportunities to compare is with parked cars (where the mirrors are fully folded).

There is no damage, and no further play, so I suspected it's by design.

Querying forums elicited the fact that it [u]is[/u] as designed, and has been discussed before, along with aerial pictures of various makes, showing it is far from uncommon. The XC40, however, is at the extreme, which is probably why I've noticed it, but not on other makes.

I get a decent rear view with the glass appropriately adjusted, but once noticed, it does look strange.

(It will be all to do with the different angle of incidence from a non-central driver's eyeline, and avoidance of any pillar interference).

As you were....
do you mean adjust or fold? I dont follow the problem.
...fold. The n/s casing folds out to less of an angle than the o/s. The glass adjustment is the same either side, but that on the n/s is at a more acute angle to start with.
so it folds out to the same place every time, back to the place it was before it folded?

This is not a folding "issue" merely asymmetric mirrors. folding or not.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Oct 21 at 21:11
...which, although unexpected, is rather what I said.....
You could have just said "the mirrors look funny"
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Bromptonaut
So in normal use you have asymmetric mirrors?

Why?

What was the designer smoking?
>> So in normal use you have asymmetric mirrors?
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> What was the designer smoking?
>>

I’d imagine for optimum visibility mirrors would be asymmetric, since the requirements of the O/S mirror are different from the near side one from a driver perspective. The mirrors on my car have different ranges of adjustment on each side, presumably for that reason. In the olden days the MB e class had different shape mirrors left and right - now that is asymmetric!!

www.swiftclassics.com/mercedes230te
..you'd have asked for more detail then...
Noticed similar with my Yaris (sorry, you're dealing with the pensioners here). The driver's side mirror is positioned differently to the passenger side. There's also a bar on the driver's side, by the mirror, which I suspect is an aerodynamic bit of gear to direct water up and over the window to avoid obscuring the mirror. Clever if that's what it's for.
Someone in my road has taken delivery of a new Yaris GR, pensioner mobile it aint.

Oooooooo nice.
Very very nice
That would get you up a Spanish mountain road rápidamente.
Bit of a squeeze for those in the rear, but I’d be driving so who cares...
Latest Forum Posts