Motoring Discussion > Glasgow EV buses Green Issues
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 6

Glasgow EV buses - Lygonos

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57352972

About time too - saw a TV item stating the buses have up to 340kWh batteries so no issues with running a double shift without charging.

Means the depot will have a load of unused capacity during the day so ideal to open as an EV hub while the buses are out.
 Glasgow EV buses - zippy
>> Means the depot will have a load of unused capacity during the day so ideal
>> to open as an EV hub while the buses are out.
>>

It would be good to see, but I suspect they won't want to encourage private vehicles - even electric ones are competition to busses.
 Glasgow EV buses - bathtub tom
I read an article that claimed early generation hybrid buses are being converted to diesel because the batteries are reaching the end of their life at less than half the expected life of the buses. The cost of replacing the batteries isn't economically viable.
 Glasgow EV buses - Bromptonaut
>> I read an article that claimed early generation hybrid buses are being converted to diesel
>> because the batteries are reaching the end of their life at less than half the
>> expected life of the buses. The cost of replacing the batteries isn't economically viable.

Where did you see this.?ì
 Glasgow EV buses - bathtub tom
>>Where did you see this.?ì

U3A (University of Third Age) magazine.
 Glasgow EV buses - Lygonos

Can't find any links via google to such news though hybrids cycle their batteries much more.

Hybrid tech just seems like a stop-gap anyway until batteries are cheap/light enough to be fully viable (which they probably are now for smaller/medium sized vehicles).

Taxis, buses, (sub)urban delivery vehicles should be electric now. Long distance lorries are the trickiest case for battery power - about 4-5 tons of battery are required for 4-500 miles of range.

Trains and trams can have their power supply along their track though batteries could be useful for storing braking energy from rail stock.

Glasgow EV buses - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Can't find any links via google to such news though hybrids cycle their batteries much
>> more.
>>
AIUI, a number of the early Enviro 400H hybrids were/have been converted back to standard diesel for the reasons you stated.
Latest Forum Posts