Motoring Discussion > Buying a car 600 miles away Buying / Selling
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 84

Buying a car 600 miles away - tyro
Sigh. I'm back.

Six months ago, my old Berlingo was written off. Because the country was in strict lockdown, I reckoned that it would be difficult to replace it, so, for the last 6 months, my wife and I have been sharing a car - which has not been ideal.

Anyway, I decided that I really quite wanted another Berlingo like my last one - a Mk II Berlingo with a modutop roof (i.e. in the "Desire" spec) and an HDi engine. (Obviously an equivalent Peugeot Partner would also meet my criteria.)

Over the years I have been advised more than when buying a second hand vehicle I should get one from the south of England - not only are there a lot more cars down there, but they have a lot less rust that cars up here in the highlands.

Well, when restrictions finally started being lifted, and travel became possible, I started looking. I discovered there were a lot more cars on ebay than on Autotrader - though I have been keeping an eye on both.

Anyway, I've seen one I am fairly interested in. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234048703024 if you want to know. I've been in touch with the owner - and he seems to be an intelligent decent person. Had the vehicle 10 years, selling because of ULEZ. He tells me "Regarding rust, there isn't any, and no welding has ever been carried out or needs to be carried out on the car."

But it is in London. (Earl's Court, to be precise), And that is 600 miles away. Which raises questions. And hence I need the wisdom of the good people here. In fact, you may raise questions I have not thought of yet.

I think my most basic question is "Should one commit to buying a car before actually seeing and test driving it?" The idea of travelling 600 miles for a test drive seems pretty crazy. I get the impression that people actually do buy vehicles at a distance without having seen them.

Obviously I have looked at the MOT record, and it looks pretty good.

So my question is really "where do I go from here?" If I do go ahead with it, I guess I'll fly down from Inverness to Gatwick, get to Earls Court, pick up the car, and head north. I do have a sister who lives in Hertfordshire, but she is not filled with delight by the prospect of going around London.

All thoughts gratefully received.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Bobby
Buy more local. Is rust really an issue in these cars?
 Buying a car 600 miles away - PR
I bought 2 cars from distance last year just after lockdown..

One was the Maser (Ghibli), from a main dealer. It was an ex demo model. I drove down to look at it.. paid the deposit and went back the following week on the train to collect. Felt better that way, with a car like that I wanted to eyeball it.

The second was was the Jeep Renegade. Found online, this time in Norwich, again ex demo model at main dealer. This time negotiated the price and trade in on the phone and drove to to drop off part ex / collect car. This time I noted a few minor marks on the bumper trims, which was a tad annoying. Had it been local I would have looked and agreed to buy on condition that they fixed it.. something I couldnt then do. So swings and roundabouts really.

Thanks, PR. I've bought a few second hand cars. The furthest one was 250 miles from home. Always from main dealers. And I always went down and test drove, and then agreed to buy and went back (usually by train - though the last time it was only 45 miles away, so I went down with my wife). And I guess I reckoned that was the way one always did it.

So I'm interested in your experience of buying the Renegade - that you bought without a viewing or test drive.

A lot comes down to the matter of whether one trusts the seller. Main Dealers are obviously safer. But a lot of the time private sellers are open and honest. Sometimes moreso than dealers!
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Terry
I would not commit to buying a 17 year old car without an inspection - a 2 year old under warranty at a dealer would of course be different.

An inspection/purchase will take a very long day out and cost around £150-250 depending on mode of travel etc.

I would not do it. I would also question whether on a budget of ~£2k you would be far better buying on condition much more locally and much less specific on model etc - eg: would an estate (mondeo, octavia etc) meet your needs and be much newer.
That, Terry, is the big question. Am I being utterly mad? :-)

Or is this one of those occasions when it is worth taking the risk??
 Buying a car 600 miles away - sooty123
Agreed, I'd take a punt on something suitable (if not ideal), much cheaper and nearer to home.
To be honest, Bobby, even if rust isn't an issue (which, as you say, it isn't really) - the problem is that there are few enough of them on the market, and finding one in really good condition is the challenge.

There are not many Berlingo Desire HDis on the market, and the vast majority of them are at least 400 miles away. There was one 320 miles away, which was quite exciting, and I did have an extended conversation with the owner, who was a nice, decent guy - but there was a dent in the body work above one of the rear lights - and that was BIG thing as far as my (perfectionist) wife was concerned.

The fact that this one in London looks to be in really nice condition is a big plus.
>>but there was a dent in the body work above one of the rear lights - and that was BIG thing as far as my (perfectionist) wife was concerned.

The fact that this one in London looks to be in really nice condition is a big plus.

you do realise that one you linked to has dents front and back?
As I said in another response (below) - my wife thought the one in London looked acceptable.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Dog
>>All thoughts gratefully received.

You're mad!

:o}
Dog - tell me something that I don't already know.

:-)
 Buying a car 600 miles away - PR
For the Renegade, we had gone and had a poke around one at my local dealer, though didnt drive (its the GFs, she sat in it, got comfortable driving position etc.)

The one we found was best value and the spec etc.. we wanted. Also her trade in was on its last legs. Took the punt. Worked out well in the end minor trim marks aside.

Can you not book return train tickets, go see it, if you dont like it walk away, if you do, buy it and drive it home?
>> Can you not book return train tickets, go see it, if you dont like it
>> walk away, if you do, buy it and drive it home?

That makes sense. Though it might actually be cheaper to fly down.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Bromptonaut
As Tyro may recall I had a very similar Desire model with the modutop roof. Eventually I let it go after a heavy steering issue at 155k miles/10.5 years for which garages seemed to suggest the only remedy was parts bingo until it was cured. I wish I still had it though. It's now untaxed/no MoT after being on SORN for some time. Went to about 180k though.

I don't think they rust much if at all but the clutch is a weak spot. Ours, as the last knocking of the XUD derived engine, also had that engine's signature of lost valve clearance leading to starting/compression issues at 100k+ miles. If you're a perfectionist the doors to the roof storage compartments in the Modutop are a weak spot too.

The first iteration of the current shape was 2008 so any 'Mk 2' will now be 13 years old at a minimum.
Thanks, Bromptonaut. When you say the XUD derived engine, do you mean the 1.9?

The one I had was a 1.6HDi, which rolled of the production line at the beginning of 2007. The one I am looking at right now is a 2.0 HDi which dates to 2004. It has a lot fewer miles than ours, and the exterior is certainly in better shape.

We never had a serious problem with rust, though we certainly had a bit. Never had any trouble with the Modutop, though I was aware that it was a potential trouble spot. Never had serious problems with the clutch - though we did with the gears a few years ago - and to be honest, they have not been great for years - though I did get them fixed just before the car passed away.
>> Thanks, Bromptonaut. When you say the XUD derived engine, do you mean the 1.9?

Ours was 2005 & IIRC it was a 1.8. IDI and no turbo. Used an HDi block with an XUD type head and a fuel pump with some electronics to control emissions. Just scraped a pass at Euro emission standards but ceased to be an option in the 2006 MY.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Dog
The furthest I've driven for a car was 300 miles for a nice Saab 900 in Kent.

I drove 220 miles for a Subaru in Havant in Hampshire some years back.

A fair-few years back I drove to Ascot racecourse to see a Volvo 480ES .. now, I'd always liked the look of those cars but, what an absolute pile of poo, not really a Volvo at all at all.

Drove straight back to Bodmin Moor where we liveed at the time = 8 hours wasted and nicked for doing 98 mph near the Jamaica Inn.

:)
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Runfer D'Hills
I guess if you could satisfy yourself that the car and the seller are straight, and the seller would meet you at an airport, then it might be a bit of a bargain.
>> I guess if you could satisfy yourself that the car and the seller are straight,
>> and the seller would meet you at an airport, then it might be a bit
>> of a bargain.
>>

There's an idea. Though, to be honest, it's not too difficult to get to Earl's Court from Gatwick. But maybe . . .
 Buying a car 600 miles away - No FM2R
I wouldn't buy a car of that age without seeing and testing it.

I wouldn't travel that far to see it unless I was saving a lot of money or getting something I desperately wanted and couldn't get close to home.

Those dents on the drivers side are not shopping trolley damage. I don't know what they are, but they're a lot more significant than a passing trolley.

On balance I wouldn't, but it's also risk/reward, isn't it; How bad would you feel if you'd bought a lemon, how good would you feel if you'd bought exactly what you want.

Buying a car 600 miles away - bathtub tom
>>there was a dent in the body work above one of the rear lights - and that was BIG thing as far as my (perfectionist) wife was concerned.

So what's she going to think about the dents and damage on this one?
> So what's she going to think about the dents and damage on this one?

She's looked at the photos of both, and reckons that the dents and damage on this one are not too bad.
Thanks for your thoughts. I basically agree with you. You put your finger on it in saying

>>... or getting something I desperately wanted and couldn't get close to home.

It is possible I could get it closer to home. But it would have to be significantly closer to home to make much difference. In some ways, going to London to get a vehicle is even worse than going to London. Manchester might be a little better. The one in Cumbria was definitely better. But even that is considerably more awkward than Edinburgh or Glasgow.

But not much comes up in Scotland - or, for that matter, north of Manchester.

Buying a car 600 miles away - slowdown avenue
i know acouple of car dealers down here who regularly fly up to scotlsnd to buy cars. they reckon you lads up there are trustworthy
 Buying a car 600 miles away - tyrednemotional
...I know a couple of car dealers in Scotland who deal exclusively with English people. They reckon they are gullible. ;-)
Perhaps, COVID permitting, there's something you might like to see or do in London and you could make a trip of it rather than travelling just for the car? Or perhaps make a decent trip out of the drive back up? Stopping somewhere you fancy seeing, for example.

I think an AA Inspection is £160, or something like. Perhaps an alternative? At least then you'd be pretty certain you were going to buy it before putting the travelling effort in?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 15 Jun 21 at 22:52
Tyro, I totally understand your Desire, pardon the pun, of wanting that exact model but have you considered other models of the kangoo / berlingo variety?

Or other cars that may take a lot of your boxes? Skoda Yeti / Roomster maybe? A Renault Scenic?

I just feel that pigeon holing your choice to a very specific criteria, of which by your own searches have shown there are very few available, you may need to expand it slightly?

(I remember being given a Kangoo as a courtesy car years ago and I loved it, and my young kids loved it - but my missus said no way was she driving a Postman Pat van! That had loads of storage "dookits" in the roof space which I guess is what your modutop is?

Nowadays I would freak out having all that space filled with stuff that probably never gets used or could all sit in one bag in the boot!

Thanks for the pun, Bobby. I appreciate such things. :-)

I had looked at Yetis and Roomsters, and even Kangoos - but no, I can't see a huge amount of stuff in Scotland.

(The modutop includes glass panels. I am a big fan of sunroofs.)
Thanks Mark. In terms of things to see or do in London - actually spending a week with my sister in Hertfordshire and touring around looking at cars is the obvious thing.

AA Inspection is a good idea. I never thought of that.
Well - I have not given up on this madcap scheme.

I have been in conversation with the seller, both in writing and over the telephone, and I am thinking about jumping on a plane in Inverness on Thursday, flying down, viewing and test driving the car - and, if I buy it - driving it back north, spending a night each with my sister and mother in route home.

How does one generally pay for vehicles purchased privately?
>>How does one generally pay for vehicles purchased privately?

I've always done cash in the UK (both directions), bank transfer elsewhere.
>> I am thinking about jumping on a plane in Inverness on Thursday, flying down, viewing and test driving the car - and, if I buy it - driving it back north, spending a night each with my sister and mother in route home.

Despite my earlier doubts, the more I think about it the more I think that sounds like a good idea.

Worst case a wasted trip, best case a car you want and a night each with people you care about. Sounds great to me.

I assume that you've formed a fairly solid and good opinion of the seller? If so, and you can live with the risk of wasting a flight, go for it.
Quite nice to have a little "adventure" anyway !

Have you got access to online banking on your phone? If so, you could just do a bank transfer when you're ready.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 22 Jun 21 at 09:00
I'd be wondering why it's still available after a week. If it were a bargain wouldn't it have been snatched up?
Think it’s a bit of a niche market…
No, I don't do online banking on my phone. Being an old fashioned sort, I do it on my laptop. In fact, I don't tend to use my smartphone much at all - I tend to use my antique Nokia instead.
Well, if it was to be a cash transaction, you might do well to ensure that the cash is in Bank of England notes rather than those issued by a Scottish bank.

Maybe offer to accompany the seller to a nearby branch to pay it into?
It occurs to me that you really need to ask the seller what he will accept/prefer.
>> It occurs to me that you really need to ask the seller what he will
>> accept/prefer.

He said cash was preferable, so I think I'll go for that.
>> Maybe offer to accompany the seller to a nearby branch to pay it into?
>>

Good thought on Bank of England notes. Sorry for being dense, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by accompanying the seller to a nearby branch to pay it into.
Just that a bank will verify the authenticity of the notes and he could pay that sum into his account.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - PeterS
We’ve bought 2 cars from Edinburgh, which is around 500 miles from Chichester. The first, an old Audi A8 4.2 Quattro I documented here some years back. We flew from Southampton to Edinburgh early one morning, met the vendor in the car park at EDI and he drove us round the corner to his office Carrara where the car was. A quick look round, handed over the cash and drove back. The second, a few years later, was the A3 e-tron which as an ex Audi U.K. launch car was bought over the phone while in the lounge at LGW. It was only a year old with 6k miles on the clock, so relatively low risk. That one they delivered on a transporter, and I paid for it by internet banking the day before. So I’d second (or third) the suggestion to enjoy the trip, fly down, get the cat, meet up with family and drive back. Obviously Nicola won’t let you drive back via Manchester…
Awwww I remember that thread on the A8! Loved following it.
Is he buying a cat as well?

;-)
 Buying a car 600 miles away - PeterS
Oops…. Nicola almost certainly won’t let you take one of those over the border without quarantining :)
S'pose you might get away with it if you were driving a Moggy...

Yeah, I'll, erm...

;-)
Thanks, gentlemen.

I have corresponded with the seller a few times, and have now spoken to him on the phone. He strikes me as a decent, honest, intelligent person. If he's not, he's a very good actor. So it looks like I will probably be going for it.

I've not quite booked the flight, but am getting close. I'm reckoning that it makes sense to use cash. I must confess that over the past couple of years I had pretty much forgotten about the existence of cash, and so it might take some time getting used to using it again. Actually, one of the problems at the moment is finding a bank - there are very few branches of the Royal Bank of Scotland open around me these days.

Quick question - the ad on ebay says £1750 ono. Which means that I should probably negotiate on price. Do I do that before I travel down, or after I meet him and see the car? And what is a respectable offer to make? What should be my starting offer?

Well, you could say something like, " it has/will cost me £X to come and buy the car and drive it home. How about we split that cost? "
Oh, and another thing, depending on your route out of London from Earls Court, you might incur congestion charge and or ULEZ charges. Maybe worth checking if there's a way you can go that avoids that.
>> Oh, and another thing, depending on your route out of London from Earls Court, you
>> might incur congestion charge and or ULEZ charges.

The seller has offered to meet me at Heathrow, and I am very happy to accept that offer.
That sounds good. Hope you, the car, and the cat get it all done safely and to everyone's satisfaction.
If I was the seller I would stand firm on the price knowing that you are not going to turn and leave for the sake of haggling….

However you indicate that he is a decent man…….
>>The seller has offered to meet me at Heathrow

I was always told the first rule of buying a second hand car was to make sure the address on the V5 matches where you're buying it from. Make sure the seller has access to the property and not just using it for a dodgy sale.
>> I was always told the first rule of buying a second hand car was to
>> make sure the address on the V5 matches where you're buying it from.

Probably reasonable. On the other hand, he has given me his home telephone number, and he has been very straight with me on the phone, and he is in his mid-60s, and he has an ebay record of good feedback that goes back 15 years.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - helicopter
. Actually, one of the problems at the moment
>> is finding a bank - there are very few branches of the Royal Bank of
>> Scotland open around me these days.
>>
You can use any branch of Natwest no problem, same group as RBS.

If the seller wants £1,750 I would offer him £1500 on the basis that it will cost you to get the bumps and scrapes sorted and you have had the expense of the journey .Sounds like the seller is decent enough and expects an offer.
UPDATE: Well, I did it. On Thursday, I caught a bus to Inverness just before 9.00. Got to Inverness shortly after 10. Went to the bank and got lots of cash, and then got the bus to the airport. (Interestingly enough, the bus to Inverness came to £11, the bus to the airport cost £5, and the flight to Heathrow cost £55.)

The flight ended up being delayed, and it was just before 6 pm that I got off the plane at Heathrow. I followed the seller's directions to the drop-off area, and saw an aquamarine Berlingo outside before I even got to the door. He was very friendly and talkative - he had a lever arch file full of old receipts and went through them all with me. He also showed me various items that he was leaving in the car - including jump leads, and a CD rom which apparently has the Haynes manual on it!

I had a test drive, and it seemed reasonable. The car interior wasn't bad. Compared to my last Berlingo, it was about the same to drive - the interior wasn't quite as good, and the exterior was better.

I didn't attempt any serious negotiating on price. I guess I should have offered £1500, but I offered £1600, and he agreed to take £1570.

So at 7 p.m. I headed for my sister's house, and spent the night there. It was the first time we had met since my Dad's funeral last year. Then on Friday, I had a long day's drive up to my mother's house in Perthshire. I've never seen so many traffic cones in my life - road closures and roadworks all over the place. And then home on Saturday.

So far, I've done about 760 miles - which is interesting because the previous owner averaged about 3000 miles per year. Seems to be running fine. Tomorrow I'll take it to the one man garage I've been going to for years, so that it can have a check up.
Well done you, I'd have enjoyed the process as much as the acquisition.

The key question though is this; in hindsight are you pleased that you went to these lengths and bought that car?

If you can say yes to that, then it's clearly a success.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - legacylad
Pleased it worked out ok.
I’ve done this distance buyIng thing several times..bought a Mazda 626 from someone who met me at Haymarket station decades ago.
Flew from Leeds to Heathrow early one hot summers evening many years ago...bought an H reg Saab 9000S 2.3 turbo from the liquidators of a garage in London. Blasted back up the A1 in time for several drinks with friends who lived at Rawdon...Ms LL drove me home. Great car. Very thirsty. Like me. Did an indicated 150 in southern Germany. Superb Bridge of Weir leather seats. Died of electrical gremlins.

>> I’ve done this distance buyIng thing several times..

Good to know I'm not the only one!

>> Did an indicated 150 in southern
>> Germany.

That takes me back to my youth - well the early 1990s. I had a Fiesta with a 1.1 engine, and took it on holiday in Europe. I decided to see how fast I could get it to go on the Autobahn. I actually did get it to touch 100 going downhill at one point!
>> The key question though is this; in hindsight are you pleased that you went to
>> these lengths and bought that car?

Thanks. Yes, with hindsight, I'm glad I did it.
>> Yes, with hindsight, I'm glad I did it.

Then it was a great deal, congratulations.

Sounds like you had the pleasure of dealing with a thoroughly decent seller, also.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Duncan
>>
>> I didn't attempt any serious negotiating on price. I guess I should have offered £1500,
>> but I offered £1600, and he agreed to take £1570.
>>

Typo?

>> on Friday, I had a long day's drive up to my mother's house in Perthshire.
>> I've never seen so many traffic cones in my life - road closures and roadworks
>> all over the place. And then home on Saturday.

M1, A1, or what?
That's excellent Tyro. Even assuming £0.15 a mile for diesel to get back, your total costs for the trip will have given you plenty of change from £200. Provided it proves to be a good car for you it seems like a happy ending.

Hope you enjoy the car.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - Manatee
There's a lot to be said for a car like that, not a fortune of money tied up and can move stuff and people as well or better than almost any more attractive-looking car of any size.

I'm using a 5 year old Outlander, because I have one, as a builder's van at the moment-not sensible.
>> There's a lot to be said for a car like that, not a fortune of
>> money tied up and can move stuff and people as well or better than almost
>> any more attractive-looking car of any size.

Well, possibly quite a sensible buy - but travelling 1,200 miles to complete the purchase?

No, no.
 Buying a car 600 miles away - helicopter
Tyro, I hope you have no problems with it .It seems the seller was an honest sort.
Like Duncan, I would have not travelled that distance.
As I said above , you really should have offered £1500 however it seems you got enough off the price to cover your travel costs so well done.
And, it was a bit of an "adventure" too, we all need a little bit of that right now don't we?
Exactly.
When I caught the train from Settle to Haymarket station to collect the 626 I packed an overnight bag just in case I didn’t buy the car. A few days holiday in Edinburgh wouldn’t be too shabby.
Likewise when I flew to Heathrow. I’d a list of B & Bs in Windsor with me. Somewhere I have still to visit.
>>
>> Likewise when I flew to Heathrow. I’d a list of B & Bs in Windsor
>> with me. Somewhere I have still to visit.
>>

Next time you are in Windsor, let me know. I am sure my friend Betty will find you a room for the night.
>> Like Duncan, I would have not travelled that distance.
>> As I said above , you really should have offered £1500 however it seems you
>> got enough off the price to cover your travel costs so well done.
>>

Yes - I should have done what you said, but hey, we all make mistakes - and it certainly isn't the worst one I've made!
>> Well, possibly quite a sensible buy - but travelling 1,200 miles to complete the purchase?
>>
>> No, no.

The sheer difficulty of finding what you are looking for up here means that it isn't quite as daft as it sounds. A surprising number of people do it. I told a friend a few days ago, and she responded: "It seems to be the only way to buy the car you want John, we did that, and Mary F----- did too. "
>> There's a lot to be said for a car like that, not a fortune of
>> money tied up and can move stuff and people as well or better than almost
>> any more attractive-looking car of any size.

I love the amount of space in Berlingos. As someone once said "space is the ultimate luxury".
. As someone once said "space is the
>> ultimate luxury".
>>
That’s not what they said on Star Trek
>> Even assuming £0.15 a mile for diesel to get back, your total
>> costs for the trip will have given you plenty of change from £200.

I managed to keep the cost to about £0.127, (i.e. 45.9 mpg) so not too bad.

>> Typo?

No. Basically I asked him if he was happy to take an offer; he asked what I suggested. I said £1600. He said "OK, and I'll give you a further discount of £25". I took out my money, and since I didn't have any £5 notes, he said "OK, make it £1570".

>> M1, A1, or what?

M1 all the way to the end, and then A1 to Scotch Corner, then A66 to Penrith, then M74, M73, M80 etc. I should, of course, have come off the M1 onto the M18, but missed the junction, so just went to the end of the M1.
Ah, a stop off at Greggs at Scotch Corner.
Always a sign that I’m on my holidays!!
What's happened with Greggs Bread Pudding?

BAck in the office yesterday an no sign.
I used to like Greggs when their sausage rolls were less than £1.00. I mean, how can anything that costs less than £1.00 have any calories in it eh? Now that they've gone over £1.00 they must be bad for you. They've stopped doing pasties too, I'm not sure where it's all going to end frankly.

;-)

Buying a car 600 miles away - Manatee
>>They've stopped doing pasties too,

I've only tried one pasty from Greggs, my first and only visit, and it was still frozen in the middle.
Update: Well, 3 weeks have passed since I bought the car, and it has done 1,500 miles in that time. First, there was getting it back home, then a couple of good runs in the Highlands, then back to England again for a week in the Lake District, and now we are coming to the end of a week's holiday in Ayrshire.

Basically, nothing much to report. So far, no nasty surprises. The minor problems that I noted before buying are still there, of course, but I've gotten used to them. Indeed, I have very much gotten used to the car, and it is beginning to feel like an old friend.

For the first tank of fuel after my purchase, I got about 46 mpg which I found a bit disappointing. I soon got around to checking the tyre pressures, and discovered that they were pretty low, so I pumped them up, and on my second tank, I got about 52 mpg. I guess I'll fill up again some time next week and find out what the mileage is for the 3rd tank.

Sounds like a happy ending Tyro. Pleased for you. It's really good feeling when you get a car that ticks all your boxes. Can't really ask for more. Happy motoring.
>> I've only tried one pasty from Greggs, my first and only visit, and it was
still frozen in the middle.

Aye, but they were cheap though, never said they were good...

;-)
 Buying a car 600 miles away - wotspur
Well done you, bit late to the party.
I’ve done two distance purchases with differing results.
The first was an old Espace, in Leicester, money was tight and this I hoped would see me through a year, an old one with 150k miles but for with body damage( not fussed) and £200 I hoped it would be ok, after numerous chats , I took the train from Surrey to London , bus to Leicester , went to look at the car, quick test drive and head home.
Went to a garage to fill up ……went to restart the car , had to call the AA OUT ! Went about a further 10 miles , it conked out and AA Again, this guy said you’ve no chance of getting it home …..it stayed in Leicester and I got the bus home .
As it wasn’t taxed or sorted the local council lifted it ,and the recovery wasn’t worth the cost, so it probably went to be crushed .
The second one, having had my Alhambra written off, I saw one for sale in Bristol at a little garage,so I set off early Sat Am , to be there at 8.30 when they opened ,we’ll it was still for sale at 9.30 on the Friday night . yeah I was first customer there but I couldn't see see it.
When the owner arrived, I was informed it had been sold the previous evening, but his wife hadn’t removed it from the website as she’d gone out . I asked if he had anything similar or something coming in , and when he replied No, I thanked him and his wife .
I’d taken my IPad and spent two hours searching every garage from Swansea to Exeter to Birmingham and everything in between. I spotted one in Newport at a main dealer , affordable and reasonable mileage 66k , went there took it for a test drive ,made an offer and drove home .
3 days later bits required had been completed and I paid £150 for a local person to low load it back to me , I’m now upto 138k and it’s easily the best car I’ve ever had , it has serious poke when required .
Well done you
>> Went to a garage to fill up ......went to restart the car , had to call the AA OUT ! Went about a further 10 miles , it conked out and AA Again, this guy said you've no chance of getting it home ....

I reckon the first 48 hours are the scariest I did have a moment when I wondered if the car would fail to start. But it was fine, and has been since then.

Hopefully my experience will as good as yours with your current one.
Latest Forum Posts