Motoring Discussion > VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Bobby
Nephew has narrowed his car choice to an Octavia petrol. Seems the 1.0 are priced better than the 1.5s.
Anyone any experience? Pros and cons of each one?
Car will be mostly him in it himself but he does like hill and mountain climbing so regular trips with friends to do such activities. Which I might suspect will show up any shortfalls in the 1.0 engine?

Thoughts?
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Manatee
It's more bragging rights than anything. Is it the 113 bhp 3 cylinder? Under 10s to 60 and a turbo suggests it's perfectly useable.

In the real world these turbo petrols tend to feel far quicker than not only the engine size, but also the power rating, would suggest. Driven 'normally' the boss's Roomster 1.2 TSI (105hp, 1250Kg) gives the impression there's more under your foot than there is in my MX-5 (130hp, 1000Kg).

My own prejudice, also irrational, is more against the 3 cylinders. I am conditioned not to take them seriously.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Manatee
>> Driven 'normally' the boss's Roomster
>> 1.2 TSI (105hp, 1250Kg) gives the impression there's more under your foot than there is
>> in my MX-5 (130hp, 1000Kg).

My impression is correct. I have just compared torque and horsepower curves. The 1.2TSI 105 has more available torque (and therefore more available power) right up to about 4900 rpm, when both can produce 103bhp (the maximum for the 1.2 TSI 105) although the Skoda has shot its bolt by then. As I rarely exceed even 3500 in the MX-5 when bimbling, it's not surprising the Skoda seems to have at least as much urge despite its greater weight.

Lot of rubbish talked about what makes a car a good drive. The little Skoda with the DSG is a darned good runabout, just a little slower on the pickup with the turbo. The MX-5 is more fun but it's certainly more work to make it go.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - PeterS
We had the 1.0 TSi (115PS version) in a Seat Ibiza. The poor car didn’t last long, being written off after a few months, but it was more than capable on it’s only long journey, which was the best part of 300 miles back from Liverpool where it was bought. I think the 1.5 probably has 150PS; at least it does in the A3 that my father has. He’s never complained about it, or my Mums A1 which has the 95PS version of the 1.0 engine. But I don’t know what the torque figures for the various engines are…but I imagine if you use the gearbox properly, and rev the engine it’d be fine. With the bonus that a 3 cylinder engine sounds pretty good when revved :) The one thing my Mum comments on is that hers only has a 5 speed ‘box, compared to the A3s 6 speed one. Not sure about the 115 PS version of the 1.0 as ours was automatic…7 speed DSG.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Terry
I have a Peugeot 3cyl 1.2L with 130 bhp.

Mated to an auto box so it will simply slip down a few of its 8 gears to accelerate more rapidly if pushed so can't really comment on flexibility. Never had problems with a lack of acceleration - or at least the acceleration exceeds my cautious ability to use the power.

It is smooth and entirely adequate in the power stakes. In top gear on flat m/way is doing ~2000rpm at 70mph so quiet at speed.

I did wonder before purchase whether the lack of a cylinder would be an issue but it seems not. However if your driving style is "energetic" it may be that more cylinders and CCs would give a less stressed engine which may last longer.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Crankcase
I have a 2019 Octavia with the 1.0 engine, seven speed DSG petrol. I have recently driven to Scotland and back twice, fully loaded, and now am in Shropshire, even more loaded, four up and packed to the gunnels with luggage.

It always pulls well, and at no point did I find it underpowered at all. However, I don't roar along in and out of traffic, or try hairy overtakes. Just wandering along at or near the speed limits it's a very quiet and pleasant drive indeed, especially with the excellent adaptive cruise turned on.

Incidentally the Scotland run showed 70mpg on the computer, the Shropshire run 66.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 22 Jun 21 at 13:44
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Bill Payer
Daughter has the 1 litre 115PS in a SEAT Ateca, which of course is basically a Tiguan, so a fair size.

Hard to sum up really, it is what it is, if that makes sense - you wouldn't be doing many fast A road over-takes but I've driven it and it's pretty nice to drive. She mainly uses it for a flat 30 mile commute so it's not stressed. I noted it's pretty higly geared in 6th so I reckon you'd likely be changing down on any sort of slope.

I think the 1.5 4cyl is 130PS in some models and 150PS in others. Will the car be new? There was a lot of iffyness about the 1.5 when it first came out, hesitation etc.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Bobby
Looking at 2-3 year old.
Possibly one of these www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106214049673
Exactly what I have. Works for me.

The SE tech doesn't have LED headlights, nor traffic sign recognition, nor lane keeping, nor auto high beam. If you want those, you need to go to the SE L or higher.

I wouldn't have minded having all those, but the extra price didn't seem worth it at the time. Not sure I'm missing that much in reality.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 22 Jun 21 at 17:42
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - Bobby
My X1 has LED headlights which I love. At some point in the ownership though I fear I may regret that its not just a halogen bulb I am replacing!

He bought the 1.0 Octavia tonight and is absolutely delighted with it, his initial highlight is how well the android auto feature works!
My android auto is playing up big time at the minute, but I don't think it's the car end of things.

Anyway, I was thrilled to discover I could get a single mattress in the boot without even moving the front seats forward. Or indeed, our two bikes without taking wheels off, which saves on roof racks or towbars.

VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - DP
A colleague had an Octavia 1.0 DSG until recently. He reckoned it was perfectly adequate performance-wise and gave very impressive real world economy.

I've only experienced the 1.5 litre unit in a mk7.5 Golf (with a manual 'box) that SWMBO had as a long term hire car through work. It felt quite punchy and was very smooth. The only issue was that it was very jerky / kangaroo like in the lower gears to the extent where you found yourself over-using the clutch sometimes to keep things smooth. It was really bad when cold, and improved when warm, but never really went away. I believe this is a known issue with the 1.5 TSI unit.
 VAG 1.0 vs 1.5 - martin aston
I purposely bought a used 1.4 Golf when I could have had a 1.5 for very little more money - or a 1.5 Octavia for somewhat less.

At the time (late 2019j there was a lot of comment online about the 1.5 problems.
Latest Forum Posts