Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - smokie
My daughter is looking to change and likes the Citroen C3. Citroen isn't a make wouldn't usually have been on my shortlist.

I'm not looking for any extensive reports but would be interested to hear of any relevant experience which can go into the mix. She's looking at 2018 or later, unsure which model.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - carmalade
The other motoring sites don’t give it very good reviews. Owners are not particularly happy . The 1.2 pure tech engine can be troublesome. I’m sure there are better cars out there . Fiesta, Corsa , Polo etc .
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Boxsterboy
We bought a 65-plate model (so the one before the current shape) for our son, one of the later ones with a 1.2 Pure Tech engine. We bought it at 9 months/6,000 miles old, an ex-Avis rental car that was also a repaired Cat D write off for just £3,250. You never know what you're getting with a used car, but apparently this one had been vandalised, hence the write-off. Couldn't resist at that price!

It has been 100% reliable and had no issues whatsoever, now with 18,000 miles. I will be having the cambelt changed early because of the issues with the belts on the early Pure Tech engines disintegrating. The post 17 ones are supposed to be better, but it's still a belt that will need changing.

It has a soft French feel to the drive (quelle surprise!) which is a nice change from the harder German feel that my daughter's Up! and other son's Suzuki Swift has.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - helicopter
I am not that keen on Citroens either. I would be pointing her in the direction of something Japanese like a Yaris.
Thanks all, appreciated.

I found her method of car selection. She worked out how much money she had and that she wanted a 19reg or later, and some toys, and trawled Autotrader to see what she could get. The Citroens do come out quite cheap for their age but then there'll be a reason for that.

I told her she must test drive whatever she wants. I had a loan Suzuki pos today and it rattled and was short on power and very basic. She's driving a Fiesta right now and when you compare them, the Fords are a different class to the Citroens. I suggested a visit Car Giant or one of those supermarkets just to look at a range of cars all in one place.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Zero
Ok so she has about 8.5k. That gets her the latest fiesta, like this www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105253051290?

dont go for the earlier model, the later one is heaps better.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - legacylad
Pre Xmas 2020 for 4 out of my 10 weeks in Spain I ran a C3 rental. I always check for a spare wheel, being stuck in the mountains with no spare or cell service is a PITA. The initial C3 without spare was a petrol, but the 1.6 diesel with 100 donkeys had a spare, so after surreptitious bribery that’s what I got. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but the 208 and Fiesta I had as rentals the same period were in another class as regards driver enjoyment. Especially the latter.
No idea of reliability, but as Zeddo says, the Fiesta is in another league.
She has a 11 Fiesta which she complains is a bit small ( - she's a big lass) which is one reason why I'm insistent she tries before buying.

I think she might have nearer £10k than £8.5 with the part-ex (or whatever) but at least she is being a little sensible and not stretching herself for a car.

SWMBO has a Yaris which she quite likes. Daughter used to have a C'eed which she quite liked. Not really sure why she's not going to either of those - though I've not looked at prices. I suspect she wouldn't get quite such a new one (& less toys).

I was out today and saw some others - Nissan Juke was one, or Qashqai (maybe too big).
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Dieselboy
If your daughter thinks her Fiesta is a little small, she may be disappointed with a C3. Interior is a little cramped.

My wife drives an 18 plate 1.2 Puretech 82 Flair. It looks, IMHO, good - a little funky. The ride is typically French, soft and more wallowy than you'd expect a small car to be. It's no ball of fire but is rorty enough to pull along at a reasonable pace. It's been (touches wood) reliable so far, requiring only service, MOT and tyres. Must investigate belt change intervals.

We bought it in October 2019 with 28k on (ex hire car) for £8,295.

I think if we were looking again we'd look elsewhere. She had a 2008 Mazda 2 before the C3, I think she misses it.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Zero
>> She has a 11 Fiesta which she complains is a bit small ( - she's
>> a big lass) which is one reason why I'm insistent she tries before buying.

She has the old one, the latest one is bigger inside, better ride, vastly improved dash and ergonomics
It will deffo be on our shortlist as far as I'm concerned.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - legacylad
I sourced my Focus through the Ford UK website...Ford Direct & Approved.
Apply filters, see if anything appeals in the price bracket, then negotiate downwards...I got a good deal from Ford Coalville.
I’m happy to supply the name of the guy who was my sales contact...they have a wide selection of Fiestas should the purchaser wish to go down that route.
Good luck with the search
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Fullchat
A number of years ago I sourced a Focus through Ford Direct. It was interesting to see that depending what postcode you used thereby throwing up the nearest dealer there was as much as £1000 difference in price on the same vehicle working around different dealers.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 00:16
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Duncan
>> depending what postcode you used thereby throwing up the nearest dealer there
>> was as much as £1000 difference in price on the same vehicle working around different
>> dealers.
>>

Which was the cheapest part of the country?
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Fullchat
I didn't go countrywide Duncan only fairly local to myself. York, Skunhorpe, Lincoln, Grimsby, Hull, Sheffield. Hull turned out to be the cheapest and Lincoln was £1000 dearer. If I recall Grimsby was £500 dearer.
 Citroen C3 - Citreon C3 - any opinions? - Duncan
>> I didn't go countrywide Duncan only fairly local to myself.
>>

I have given myself some amusement over the past 15 months by speccing up cars on AutoTrader viz

tinyurl.com/bhh99hv8

It seems the the further away from the SouthEast I search, the cheaper the cars are. Is that much of a surprise?

e.g. Norn Ireland seems to be the cheapest of all. This research would not satisfy the 'More or Less' prog on BBC Radio 4.
Latest Forum Posts