Motoring Discussion > SEAT Alhambra - Filling up !
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 40

SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - wotspur
For years I’ve bought from the cheapestpetrol stations Asda, Tesco Sainsbury’s petrol depending on where I was.
Last time I filled up,at Asda, it cost me 80 to fill up my diesel Alhambra ,and that would normally do me 550 miles , so roughly .145p per mile .
On Tuesday I filled up at an Esso , just to see how much it might cost and see what miles I’d be able to do . Esso had 2 diesels and I thought let’s go for their most expensive 1.50 ish a litre , so it cost me £102.00 to fill up .
On my first journey , up the A316:, it seemed to be much smoother and more poke
So far I’ve completed about 270 miles , of both in town and motorway , and my fuel gauge says I’ve got another 420 miles worth remaining .
So potentially it coukd get 650-700 miles . This is a shock to me.
Who else has gone from Supermarket fuel to a higher quality
What do you use
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - legacylad
I use my old mums debit card
I’ve got P of A
:-)
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - bathtub tom
Ignore fuel gauges. Unless you fill to brim/note the mileage. Then fill to and note the mileage several times the dashboard gauge is as much use as peeing in the wind!
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Lygonos
Doesn't seem to make much difference to my car if I use supermarket, car park, or home grown electrons...

Only car I ever noticed an obvious difference was my 2000 plate Civic VTi - on normal unleaded it would pink slightly on WOT at low rpm and was not quite as smooth as 97-99RON juice where there was no pinking at all and low rpm pull felt better.

SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - smokie
>> Doesn't seem to make much difference to my car if I use supermarket, car park,
>> or home grown electrons...

SNAP but I will enjoy each of the free miles from the solar panels today

SWMBOs Yaris seems to fill up on about £30 - £35 of petrol, not a huge tank but not bad range,
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Zero
In the days of the Bus Killing Laguna, Shell VMAX diesel would achieve significant increases in MPG almost to the level where it was cost effective to use it.

Less so on the older VAG group PD engines that followed it, but still a difference.

Now I have left chip fat engines behind, there is no difference in MPG at all between ordinaire shell petrol and VMAX. Tho I still fill one tank in 5 with the dearer stuff for the cleaning properties.
>> SWMBOs Yaris seems to fill up on about £30 - £35 of petrol, not a
>> huge tank but not bad range,

40L according to the book, I've only had smaller tanks on motorbikes.

When the light comes on, I usually get around 32L in it before the pump clicks off.

I once put 5L in a can in the boot to see how far it would go on empty. I chickened out after 40 miles. It was a Sunday night and I didn't fancy standing on the side of the A14. Still only got 36L in it then, but at least I know it'll go 40 miles on empty!
That's 40 miles after the light came on? Normal driving or were you light footed? Seems generous!!!

Is yours the hybrid? SWMBOs is, it surprised me as it barely ever runs in electric only mode but I suppose the electricity is always assisting the ICE. Though I did wonder at first if there was something wrong with it. I can't remember her overall mpg but I think it's high 40s, for pottering around town that doesn't seem too bad.
>> That's 40 miles after the light came on? Normal driving or were you light footed?
>> Seems generous!!!
>>
>> Is yours the hybrid?

No! Pure petrol 1.3. I suspect there's at least a gallon or more in the tank after the light comes on and I'm suspicious of the claimed 40L capacity.

"How lucky do you feel punk?" Sorry for the misquote.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - No FM2R
>> Ignore fuel gauges. Unless you fill to brim/note the mileage. Then fill to and note
>> the mileage several times the dashboard gauge is as much use as peeing in the
>> wind!

No, that's not right. Fuel gauges are frequently inaccurate but are rarely inconsistent. Thus, over time they are perfectly useful as a yardstick.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Falkirk Bairn
First longish trip in a long time a few weeks back
Filled to the brim - 120 miles later we arrived - gauge was 3/4
Return journey, funnily enough 120 miles - gauge was showing over 1/4.

That said the gauge / computer is very accurate. Years ago the tank is low - warning flashed on computer 30 miles left - 52 litres to fill the 57 litre tank. 5 litres is roughly a gallon & my average is around the 28-30mpg.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Runfer D'Hills
Our town doesn't have a "branded" petrol station, so for the past 20 years or so our cars have been filled almost exclusively with supermarket fuel. Between them they've managed over 900,000 miles on it without problems. Maybe the posh stuff would have been better in some way, who knows.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Crankcase
My Skoda has a 999cc petrol engine (It's the 1.0 TSI). It gives me about 550 miles on my usual 42 litre fill up (48 litre tank). About 11p a mile at the minute if I've done the sums right (?), my last tank being at 1.32 a litre. I drove past a couple of BPs today and they are at 1.42. Ouch.

I've only used Tesco cheapest unleaded since having the car.

I looked at trying super unleaded special stuff; before I tried it a few googles led to me to info about this engine actually giving worse results on super unleaded, who knows why. So I haven't bothered.

As always, anyone out there with the same or similar setup who has tried it, be interested to hear.
Fuel will be on the way down soon, OPEC has just agreed to increase production.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Crankcase
Yes..so do I buy my heating oil now, or wait...
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Bobby
The original owner of my X1 felt the need to pay extra for the “extended fuel tank”. Think it’s an extra 5 litres or something.

Drove from Lanarkshire to Bishop Stortford to Dorking to Great Yarmouth and then ran about locally for a few days before finally the light came on and I filled up at Asda, diesel was 130.7 which was the cheapest I have seen it for a while ( rest of garages were mid to late 30s). Overall it worked out about 53.5mpg which I am delighted about.

Journey back home tomorrow, getting pretty windy here just now so hope the rain doesn’t appear before we take tent down in morning.

>> Journey back home tomorrow, getting pretty windy here just now so hope the rain doesn’t
>> appear before we take tent down in morning.

I am hauling the Crossover Camping Vehicle up near there tomorrow morning, There is currently a Met office warning for campers and caravaners, wind and floods.

I didn't even know there was an "extended fuel tank" feature. I cant imagine the engineering or thought process behind offering that - just to add 5 litres?
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I didn't even know there was an "extended fuel tank" feature. I cant imagine the
>> engineering or thought process behind offering that - just to add 5 litres?
>>

...Bobby's is a diesel. As standard, the petrol has a larger fuel tank than the diesel, presumably to compensate for the relative consumptions (not that the consumption on my petrol is particularly bad).

As they have a larger tank available, presumably they choose to offer it as an option (though, if they do, it begs the question as to why they bother with the smaller one.) My last Ducato-based motorhome was fitted with a 120 litre tank, rather than the standard 90 litre - now that did make a substantial difference to the range (and cost of filling :-( )
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - tyrednemotional
...Missed the edit, but it's 61 litres vs 51 litres.
Suspect it may have been to reduce weight for NEDC mpg tests (similar to ditching a spare wheel).

The tax difference between 119 and 121g/km CO2 was huge.
Where were you heading? How’s the weather?
After a week of lovely warm, calm weather, ideal for the tent, the winds picked up last night. I remembered what a night in a large tent in the wind was like, not a minute of sleep !
I am off Sunday morning to Plantation Park between Norwich & Gt Yarmouth, week CCVing off grid. Its a dog training thing.

Talking of Norwich, where is CGN?
You have just reminded me of something.

A17. Single carriageway. Has NSL signs but in several points where there are junctions, the NSL changes to a 60 sign.

What’s the difference on single carriageway?
Its a posted speed limit, with repeaters, indicating a hazard, as opposed to a NSL which is only posted at its limits with no repeaters.
Ah, so no actual difference in speed limits for any classes of vehicle?
>> Ah, so no actual difference in speed limits for any classes of vehicle?

No, me towing a van for example, is still limited to 50mph by the type of road - single carriageway.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - sooty123
>> I am off Sunday morning to Plantation Park between Norwich & Gt Yarmouth, week CCVing
>> off grid. Its a dog training thing.
>>
>> Talking of Norwich, where is CGN?
>>
He logged in yesterday, but has posted since having a bit of an argument a few months ago.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Kevin
Jeez. I didn't have CGN down as someone who would let a bit of disagreement wind him up. Water off a ducks back kinda guy.
I blame mark.
Just looking back as I don't remember it from the time, it was something and nothing really - it's a pity that one uncalled-for comment made a regular feel he didn't want to come back, after being around for so long.

Come on back CGN, if you're still reading!!!
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Clk Sec
I think he's busy renovating his Vespa 125 at the moment.
Always knew he was a dick, Lambretta is much more stylish.
They're both wrong. BSA and Triumph made scooters for wimps. Nothing less than 500cc would do.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Clk Sec
>> scooters for wimps.

Nonsense. A cheap and clean mode of transport for youngsters who wanted to travel around wearing the same smart clothes as they would wear if they could afford a car.
Those of us with a full rounded education in life did both.

Who'd have thought in my dotage, some 50 years later I'd be camping in a field again, this time however next to some serious horsepower, and in comfort.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Kevin
>.. this time however next to some serious horsepower, and in comfort.

Have you got rid of the BMW then? Bought an XFR Sportbrake?
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 26 Jul 21 at 17:58
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - Dog
I had scooters and bikes back in the day. Lambretta GT200 and an SX 200. Dangerous things IMO, due to the size of the wheels - nearly had my chips twice coming round Trafalgar Square, and then the roundabout orf Westminster Br.

Tyres were just the black on the wheels to me then, might well have been bald for all I knew.

Bikes: Suzuki GT 250, Honda 550/4, and a US import Honda 500CX Custom.

The road we live on now - A388 outside Launceston, bikers fly down 'ere and a few have come to grief.

Such as life, and death :(
>>Honda 500CX Custom

Transverse V-twin iirc - unusual layout - presume to aid shaft drive?

Just checked - technically longitudinal - it's the pistons that are transverse not the crank :-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 27 Jul 21 at 10:11
>>Transverse V-twin iirc - unusual layout - presume to aid shaft drive?

Dunno, I just rode the thing :) .. I was never 'into' bikes like I was with cars.

The standard CX (not the Custom) was the choice of couriers, I believe.
 SEAT Alhambra - Filling up ! - MD
>> Such as life, and death :(

Laaaannsonnn as they zay up 'ere in north Devon........
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Jul 21 at 11:32
>>Laaaannsonnn as they zay up 'ere in north Devon........

And the 'propa' Cornish. It's just one mile from Devon and I feel it's more Devenish (good beer back in the day) than Caaarnish.
Latest Forum Posts