Motoring Discussion > SIM in the car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 3

SIM in the car - Crankcase
Just in case this is useful to anyone:

I wanted to put a sim in the car to enable just traffic data. The fact that AFTER I ordered it I realised my variant doesn't actually have a sim slot is neither here nor there.

Anyway, the sim I ordered is from Three, who do a 200MB a data only month sim (so enough for traffic data) for the grand total of nothing. I think to keep it alive you have to make one call/text every six months or something.

Anyway, it's a bit niche and most people doing this will be using their phone and have a contract with gobbets of free data anyway, but for us mere PAYG users I thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone setting this up.

www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I've since realised my phone has a dual sim slot, so I might be able to point the phone to the three sim for mobile data and keep everything else on my normal sim, thus achieving what I wanted anyway.
 SIM in the car - smokie
Good idea, and other places tell me that nav uses about 5mb per hour while driving so probably adequate, though someone suggested somewhere it uses quite a chunk when planning your route - couldn't find how much though. One thread said that nav data doesn't all show up under the nav app either, some is under system data.

Still, worth considering for occasional user!!
 SIM in the car - No FM2R
>>I've since realised my phone has a dual sim slot, so I might be able to point the phone to the three sim for mobile data

Probably better to buy a cheap POS phone and leave it in the car.
 SIM in the car - Crankcase

You're certainly right, but I'll always try the free option first. I'm tight like that. When I DO then have to spend money, at least I know for certain the free option didn't work/was too much hassle.

Although now of course you made me think. I have an ancient but working unlocked iPhone 5 lying about. I wonder...
Latest Forum Posts