Motoring Discussion > Driving Styles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 23

Driving Styles - zippy
Mrs Z has always been an aggressive driver.

She used to throw the Touran around like it was a go kart and at times I was amazed it didn't roll.

Anyway, in the Note, I have really noticed that she treats brakes like they are an On or Off switch. Seriously, there is no middle ground.

I'm not brave enough to bear her wrath and tell her outright that it's uncomfortable as a passenger and potentially dangerous, but need to get her to change her driving style before I have to fork out on another set of pads (the car has not done 20k and is well on its way through a second set).

Any ideas?
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 23 Jul 21 at 15:55
 Driving Styles - sooty123
Just tell her, yes she might get a huff on but if it's so bad you don't want to be in the car sugar coating won't help. Or have her pay for the wear and tear.
 Driving Styles - bathtub tom
I was once asked If I used to by a chauffeur by an ex-plod driver on a driving assessment. They particularly complimented me for the way I pulled to a stop at traffic lights.
 Driving Styles - Runfer D'Hills
When I first met my wife she used to drive way too close to vehicles in front of her. I used to try to tell her that it might be a good idea to maybe hang back a bit more, but she just ignored me.

Until, she hit the back of a queue...She hasn't driven like that since.

My father in law, who taught her to drive, is pretty binary with all car controls, on on off are the only positions he uses with the clutch, steering, accelerator and brakes. I try very hard never to be a passenger when he is driving. He's had countless "accidents" over the years, none of them serious thank goodness, and of course, none them were his fault...

I think you've got to bite the bullet Zippy and tell her. At least you can try...but maybe wait until the hospitals are a bit less busy eh? Just in case...

;-)))
 Driving Styles - Crankcase
Plenty of apps that measure acceleration. Make it a competition between you to get a green flag at the end of a journey or something? Then you can pretend you hadn't noticed, but look, dear, this app says we could both be smoother...
 Driving Styles - No FM2R
Do what all *real* men do in these situations:

Make your daughter tell her.

For she must be told.
 Driving Styles - Zero

>> Any ideas?

Yeah, Idris is a all or nothing late broker. So sat in the passenger seat, when she braked, I leaned hard forward tight again the seat belt, head pitched forward, arms and hands dangling out in front of me like I was a dead weight subjected to 51g.

Driving Styles - Kevin
>Any ideas?

Yeah. A couple of Xanax, keep your mouth shut and sod the cost of the pads.
 Driving Styles - Manatee
I hate being thrown backwards and forwards so I tell her I feel a bit sick with it. She doesn't like it mind. She just gives me the keys now which isn't really what I want.

Most people's driving gets to me which suggests I'm the common factor. I'm not - there are some people whose driving I simply never notice, presumably because the g-forces are minimised.

I had a boss once who was an extremely nice bloke and became a good friend, but he did two things that together really did make me feel queasy. He would be on and off the accelerator, even on a motorway, so you were nodding all the time. The other thing was going round corners in little bites, as if they were threepenny bit shaped, so you got a sideways nod on as well. Fortunately he didn't like driving and he often asked me if I'd mind driving his car if we were using it.

I have noticed that bus drivers seem to do the on/off thing, especially the ones who drive airport car park buses. I have been told that buses are hard to drive smoothly, which seems ridiculous when passengers can be on their feet.
 Driving Styles - Runfer D'Hills
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSwXcyfjbY
 Driving Styles - Terry
There is the alternative driving style employed by my dear lady.

Caution is the order of the day. 60mph on the m/way is getting a bit "ragged edge". Come up behind an HGV (slowly), hold back for 5 minutes, check the mirrors 5 times, cautiously pull out into the middle lane to overtake, sigh of relief when manoevre completed.

When I drive (normally very moderate speeds) - tense, hands clutch seat base, feet braced against non-existent passnger brake pedal.

Do I tell her to "nail it", or relax - it takes a little longer, pi55es off other road users, frustrates me but we normally get where we are going in one piece.
 Driving Styles - Kevin
>..he did two things that together really did make me feel queasy.

When I did the morning commute into Reading on the A33 I'd occassionally find myself in a queue of traffic behind a woman in a 3-Series who did a similar thing.
She'd be constantly slowing down to 30mph and then speeding up again to 40 (it's predominently 50). When she came to a bend though she'd be zig-zagging from verge to centre-line and dabbing the brakes each time she turned the wheel.
Absolutely infuriating.
 Driving Styles - John Boy
Next time you're driving her in your car, Zippy, drive the same way she does and wait for any comments. If there are none, I think you'll probably have to live with the situation.

On the other hand, I know a guy who is very keen on cars, yet when he's out with his wife she always drives. I assumed he doesn't like driving, but she told me she doesn't like being driven by him because "he doesn't pay attention"
 Driving Styles - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant used to be a brisk, confident driver. Long term ADI, RoSPA Gold and IAM badges. Over the past ten - fifteen years she has changed completely, she can be slow to the point of embarrassment, has grown to dislike driving and uses her car as little as she can. Back in the day when we used to go out we'd fight over the car keys, now she automatically hands them to me - then if we're using her car spends the journey complaining that I'm thrashing the life out of it when I accelerate briskly.

I don't think she will bother at all in a year or two, something I'm dreading as I'll be dragged off to do the weekly shop.
 Driving Styles - bathtub tom
SWMBO hasn't driven for over year. She had full anesthesia for a minor op a few weeks ago.

I've noticed a deterioration in her cognitive abilities since.

She hasn't tried to drive any where since and I suspect she's aware.

I've heard about others who've developed dementia after a full anasthetic?
 Driving Styles - smokie
I've not come across that but if you or her are concerned just see the doc.

(Which seems impossible round here these days but you can get the video doctor quite easily)
 Driving Styles - No FM2R
It took my 86yr old Father almost 4 months to fully get a grip again after a general anaesthetic. The effects did disappear completely in the end.
 Driving Styles - Zero
I have had 4 ga's in the last 4 years. Think it depends on the length you are under, the big one -under for 7 hours - took me fully 6 weeks before I was physically and cognitively nearly recovered. Clearly the older you are the longer it will take. Mind you I think its being in a hospital ward with a load of ga ga old patients that does you in mentally.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 24 Jul 21 at 08:48
 Driving Styles - sooty123
Mind you I think its being in a hospital ward
>> with a load of ga ga old patients that does you in mentally.
>>

End up on the geriatric ward, did they find out about the caravan?
 Driving Styles - Zero
>> Mind you I think its being in a hospital ward
>> >> with a load of ga ga old patients that does you in mentally.
>> >>
>>
>> End up on the geriatric ward, did they find out about the caravan?

The caravan came after the geriatric ward, draw your own conclusions.
 Driving Styles - Dog
>>I've heard about others who've developed dementia after a full anasthetic?

Yeah, retired work colleague of the ole woman had both knee joints replaced a few years ago.

Gradually went downhill in the head department - she used to be 'as bright as a button'.

Ole woman visited her this Wednesday gorn - she's away with the fairies now.
 Driving Styles - henry k
>> >>I've heard about others who've developed dementia after a full anasthetic?
>>
>> Yeah, retired work colleague of the ole woman had both knee joints replaced a few years ago.
>> Gradually went downhill in the head department - she used to be 'as bright as a button'.
>>
Full anasthetic had that effect on SWMBO every time over a few years.
Two knee joints replaced and a heart valve replacement had a big impact.

Knee sugeon disclaimed the effect. Private op so CYA response ?
 Driving Styles - Zero

>> Full anasthetic had that effect on SWMBO every time over a few years.
>> Two knee joints replaced and a heart valve replacement had a big impact.
>>
>> Knee sugeon disclaimed the effect. Private op so CYA response ?

Dunno why, its now recognised as a potential risk*, older the patient the higher the risk and is listed and covered in the consent form.

*not primarily causal but can speed it up.
 Driving Styles - Dog
>>CYA response

I had to look that up :)

Wife's friend had both her knee replacement ops within 7 months of each other.

Wifey was visiting to advise her husband on power of attorney reqiurements. His wife's condition has taken a toll on him - you have my sympathy, Henry.
Latest Forum Posts