Motoring Discussion > Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - smokie
www.bbc.com/news/uk-58021450

I don't mind this too much but I did post here recently about an inconsiderate group of cyclists so I do hope it turns out fair to all road users.
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Runfer D'Hills
Not sure if this will have much of an effect on my driving. I've always tried to avoid hitting pedestrians and cyclists. Can't help thinking they'd make a heck of a mess of the paintwork.
;-)
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Zero
Just read it, have to say I dont see any change, all of that was a given wasn't it?
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Rudedog
Wasn't sure about this bit...

'ensuring that riders have priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead'

Where would I see this?

Does this mean stopping on the main road of a crossroads to let traffic pass across from the minor roads?
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - No FM2R
I think it is the opposite where a bicycle gets to a cross roads on the minor road and wishes to go straight ahead, where a car on the opposite minor road wishing to turn right onto the main road must give way to the cyclist.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 15:22
Thankfully it does not legitimise ignoring red lights. Which most cyclist seem to think do not apply to them.
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - hawkeye
tinyurl.com/3xm8662z - links to Google maps

Just wanted to let off a bit of steam about this. Was cycling up Bridge Road right-to-left having passed a parked car opposite No. 2, Bridge Road. White van was in my mirror so I kept a position a metre to the left of the centre line because I was going straight on into the unnamed road opposite, as I have done many times before. No signal from me, I'm going straight on, and the road is clear both sides. Not this time; a dieselly growl from behind me and a glance in the mirror showed white van overtaking me as I was about to enter the junction. I braked hard and white van swerved left in front of me to head up Richmond Road, his rear bumper missing my front wheel by about a foot.

I hope I've mustered the correct tone of righteous indignation here; no amount of Highway Code wordery can protect cyclists from such arrogant impatience.

Feel better now!

{I feel better now the link has been shortened to restore normal page width}

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Aug 21 at 20:12
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Bromptonaut
>> Wasn't sure about this bit...
>>
>> 'ensuring that riders have priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead'
>>
>> Where would I see this?

I read it as referring to use of filters and advanced stop lines to avoid the risk of being squished at junctions.
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Manatee
I understood that peds effectively have priority anyway when crossing a minor road junction. Although not many drivers seem to think the same way.

It's a consultation, closes in October, so you can have your say - although I would say the die is cast.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/904038/consultation-on-a-review-of-the-highway-code.pdf
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Rudedog
For me the point is it 'safe' to just stop on the main road when turning into a minor road if a pedestrian steps out to cross without even looking, often it's not and you risk being rear-ended.

There's a crossroads I use daily and when crossing from the minor roads I get half way across when pedestrians see me but still decide to step out and cross.

I'm sure people will still look before crossing but I'm sure some will perceive the word 'priority' meaning they can launch themselves into the road without a care.
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - No FM2R
Standard junction arrangements here are that pedestrians have right of way when crossing the minor road.

They don't look, they just step out. Cars do get rear ended, more worryingly they can get caught out and end up blocking the main road while waiting for the pedestrian to clear the minor one. Pedestrians get hit, particularly when a car is turning off a major road into a minor one and there is street furniture confusing the view.

It is ridiculous to permit a large lump of metal and a warm body to have equal rights at the same moment over the same piece of tarmac where the decider is who gets there first.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 31 Jul 21 at 14:47
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - bathtub tom
>> They don't look, they just step out.
>> It is ridiculous to permit a large lump of metal and a warm body to
>> have equal rights at the same moment over the same piece of tarmac where the
>> decider is who gets there first.

Wholeheartedly agree. I nearly had a jogger the other evening in the dark, who ran out as I was turning left (we drive on the left here). They were all in black and I didn't see them until the last moment. Tyre sqeal and horn! Another close behind was obviously shocked.
I asked the second if the one I nearly hit was an organ donor (we all are now), they replied they'll have a word.
 Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code - Dog
>>I asked the second if the one I nearly hit was an organ donor (we all are now)

I'm not, I need all my organs for when I pass into the afterlife.
Yeah, I think the world is better off without any remnants of you still wandering round.
Latest Forum Posts