Motoring Discussion > It’s the small things…… Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 16

It’s the small things…… - Bobby
Out all day today trying to find a suitable car for my old recently widowed aunt.
Currently has an Octavia but understandably wanting something much smaller.

Captur, Clio, Polo, Corsa, Mokka, Fabia, Kamiq, Arona, Yaris all looked at today.
All, with the exception of the Skodas, had a basic issue that was problematic. At just under five feet tall, when the boot is open, she cannot reach it to close!

The Skodas have a similar strap that hangs down like she has in her Octavia. On her Octavia, she then has a cable tie looped round that strap and that works for her.

The ideal car for spec and availability seems to be the Arona. However the interior of the boot is just flat plastic with finger cut outs so nothing to tie a loop onto.

Looking fo suggestions how to overcome this without too much permanent damage? A suction type thing won’t stick to the plastic I’m sure? I could maybe use some strong 3M tape with an eyelet attached to pull down on but I’m sure the learned contributor’s here will have a far better suggestion.

Anyone?
 It’s the small things…… - Zero
All of them however have a rear wiper. Before one opens the boot one loops a length of fabric (hem or bias binding is good) over the spindle of the wiper, when the boot opens - the fabric dangles down, the length cut to match the user.

Pull the fabric, shut the boot, retrieve the fabric for next time.
 It’s the small things…… - tyrednemotional
...well-padded walking stick stored in the boot....?
 It’s the small things…… - No FM2R
The putting on and putting off of a piece of fabric is dependent on remembering the piece of fabric each time, and being in the position of having to have hands free. Personally i would never remember and would curse a lot. And I guess for her it's not just a bad thing, it'd be a disaster because she'd literally have no way of closing it without help.

The walking stick is a good idea, but I'm not sure it would grip the boot lid very well.

Seems to be that permanently fixing a tie inside the car is the way to go. I'm sire there's a way, there'll be a bolt somewhere, or a piece of boot frame or something that one can tie to.

I'd remove the inner door card or whatever they are these days, drill a hole in a bit of the inner frame, attach a permanent tie and refit the door card with a hole in it also if necessary,
 It’s the small things…… - Crankcase
www.adaptacar.uk/product/details.php?prod_ref=3

"The boot strap is made from a webbing strap which is custom fitted to your vehicle. The length will vary according to your needs."

Custom fitted might mean anything of course.
or

www.desgoslingmobilityltd.co.uk/products/general-adaptations/boot-strap/

Looks better, and similar perhaps to that which Zero described.
 It’s the small things…… - BiggerBadderDave
"or

www.desgoslingmobilityltd.co.uk/products/general-adaptations/boot-stra
p/

Looks better, and similar perhaps to that which Zero described."

The fully mobile strangle-a-toddler version.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 19:08
 It’s the small things…… - No FM2R
>> www.adaptacar.uk/product/details.php?prod_ref=3
>>
>> "The boot strap is made from a webbing strap which is custom fitted to your
>> vehicle. The length will vary according to your needs."

Can't see you'll get a much better solution than that.
 It’s the small things…… - bathtub tom
Get her to wear high heels?

OK, I'll shut up .
 It’s the small things…… - tyrednemotional
>> Get her to wear high heels?
>>

....you are BBD in disguise.....
 It’s the small things…… - zippy
Do any of these small cars come with auto closing boot options (pressing the fob to lock the door and automatically lowers the boot door)?
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 23:50
 It’s the small things…… - James T
One of these on the boot handle?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KDK4S3H
There is no “handle” to tie anything to.
And not looping something round the wiper.
And not wearing high heels….

I’m thinking towards some sort of webbing strap held in place with very strong adhesive.
 It’s the small things…… - henry k
>> I’m thinking towards some sort of webbing strap held in place with very strong adhesive.
>>
I needed to attach an item to the my boot lid.
it was simple. Find the reinforcing ( double skin ) and drill a hole in it.Use a self tapping screw to secure a D ring then chose your webbing etc.
www.gsproducts.co.uk/stainless-steel-d-ring-cleat-tie-down/
Ideally a two screw would be better
Here’s a boot lid panel

Would like to know what the quarter circle groove is for…

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-ARONA-REAR-TAILGATE-BOOT-LID-INNER-PLASTIC-COVER-CARD-PANEL-6F9867601-/303781765169?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Last edited by: Bobby on Sat 31 Jul 21 at 21:21
 It’s the small things…… - Crankcase
Brief discussion and an apparent resolution:

www.aronaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=673
Cheers for that crankcase
 It’s the small things…… - hawkeye
>> Here’s a boot lid panel
>>
>> Would like to know what the quarter circle groove is for…
>>
Late I know but I'm guessing it's for the tailgate boot release to poke through. In case you've left the remote in the house and you've shut the boot lid, with the cable tie or loop of cloth or whatever, with you inside. And you can't take the parcel shelf off to climb over the seats. Seat look as if they've prepared for anything.
Latest Forum Posts