Motoring Discussion > Rental Cars Green Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 37

Rental Cars - No FM2R
Anything clever to know about renting cars in the UK for a few weeks or is it just searching on Google for a good deal?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 10 Aug 21 at 19:36
 Rental Cars - zippy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=azQTpzOKPcU

Enterprise Rentacar have a good damage policy, basically they give you a template and say don't worry about anything that fits in the template and I have never had any issues with them re returned damages, excess charges etc.

Europcar have delivered unusable cars (unbearable stenches, gearshift wouldn't move etc.).

Some have minimum (25) and maximum drivers ages.

Keep receipts for congestion charges and tolls. When paying, if you can, tell the toll company the specific journey you are paying for or they will allocate it against the oldest outstanding current one for that car, leaving you with the fine. (I had this problem with the Dartford Crossing, a few years back, even when calling them to pay, at that time they could not allocate it against the specific journey resulting in a fine and surcharge from the rental co. I don't know if this has changed now.)
 Rental Cars - Runfer D'Hills
There's a tool in the Expedia website that might help. Put your dates in and size of car etc and it finds deals. Although, your earlier thought about buying a banger holds a certain appeal. I'm sure there's a few of us here who would enjoy the challenge of finding one with someone else's money.

;-)
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
Yes, still thinking about the banger, but I will need a rental to get around to find the right one. I've decided it's a risk to far to buy an older car unseen.
 Rental Cars - zippy
There is a thread on the other place where someone has just done this. I am not sure if we are allowed to post a link?
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
Can't think why you wouldn't be. Post it and be damned, I'll note it down before any thought police get it.
 Rental Cars - zippy
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157755/bought-another

I honestly couldn't recall if it was polite to do so or not, hence the question.
 Rental Cars - VxFan
>> I am not sure if we are allowed to post a link?

Why ever not? People have previously and it's not been an issue.
 Rental Cars - Bromptonaut
>> Why ever not? People have previously and it's not been an issue.

I think at one time it was an issue in the other direction to the extent that this site's URL was in their swear filter.
 Rental Cars - Zero
Well we have all now been tagged as accomplices of a subversive character to be under surveillance at all times, so you might as well spread the large net to another site. Share the joy kind of thing, keep the security services busy.
 Rental Cars - Zero
Check out the price for rental if you hired it after you arrived in the uk like a brit, renting it before hand from chile as a tourist using your chile address and driving license.

The price may differ.
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
>> Check out the price for rental if you hired it after you arrived in the
>> uk like a brit, renting it before hand from chile as a tourist using your
>> chile address and driving license.
>>
>> The price may differ.
>>

Very good point.
 Rental Cars - BiggerBadderDave
I always have excess insurance. I forget who I'm with though, but it's a few tenners a year compared to what they'll try and force on you.

I usually rent from Green Motion a bus stop from Luton airport and I've had some good deals from them. But they like one or two-week deals, any more and it gets really pricey. I don't know why they don't like longer-term deals but I'll be interested to see what you find. They like it if you do it on the internet and wave a printed voucher at them. Doing it on the spot is, again, pricey.

They once did a 99p/week. Fantastic, but boy or boy did they try to make me upgrade the car and take on more insurance.

One last month, Europcar, cost £125 for five days. Not fantastic by any means but I needed a drop-off in a different airport so that was expected.

And I got stung a couple of years ago. They insisted your credit card expiry date has at least 6 month from date of rental and mine didn't. They wouldn't rent me one unless I took on one of their insurance rip-off deals. I had no choice. Not happy.

And remember your N.I. number, Rentals use it to check any endorsements. That was a new one on me recently. Lucky I remembered it.

Still hope you buy one. Just let me know where leave it.

Rental Cars - Zero

>> And remember your N.I. number, Rentals use it to check any endorsements. That was a
>> new one on me recently. Lucky I remembered it.

You can get a check code, valid for 21 days, before you rent.

www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
>>
>> >> And remember your N.I. number, Rentals use it to check any endorsements. That was
>> a
>> >> new one on me recently. Lucky I remembered it.
>>
>> You can get a check code, valid for 21 days, before you rent.
>>
>> www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
>>

I b***** hate the 21st Century. I want to return to no computers, no mobile phones, nothing online, relying on call boxes and using cash. Technology has brought nothing I wasn't perfectly happy without, and in many cases happier.
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
>>And remember your N.I. number, Rentals use it to check any endorsement

Thanks for that, it would never have occurred to me.

>>Still hope you buy one. Just let me know where leave it.

I expect I will, and assuming I do it will be available and a "you break it then you fix it" approach.
 Rental Cars - zippy
>>Green Motion

Is the subject of the "consumer affairs" video above.

Rental Cars - R.P.
Enterprise gave me a car once with someone else's driving licence in glovebox and a disabled tax disc (when they were a thing).
 Rental Cars - Bobby
Just watch out for any cheap deals on black Vauxhall Crosslands with a selection of engravings on the bonnet….
 Rental Cars - PeterS
Depending on where you’ll be based and how often you actually need a car you could also take a look at the many car clubs that have sprung up, which let you rent cars by the hour/day from town/city centre locations once you’ve registered with them

www.co-wheels.org.uk/how-it-works

Rental Cars - No FM2R
>> Depending on where you’ll be based and how often you actually need a car you
>> could also take a look at the many car clubs that have sprung up, which
>> let you rent cars by the hour/day from town/city centre locations once you’ve registered with
>> them
>>
>> www.co-wheels.org.uk/how-it-works

I quite like the look of that for the future, but in this case I think that whilst I shall only need it for a short period, I will need it quite extensively with that period, so I don't think that would fit well this time.
 Rental Cars - PR
I always use

www.autoeurope.com/

They have a good cancellation policy

Also as stated above its way cheaper to get XS insurance for the year... (think I pay around £40)

www.icarhireinsurance.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPDSpfSo8gIVAbbtCh3NugejEAAYASAAEgL9Z_D_BwE#0

Rental Cars - MD
Through my minimal sniffing about the prices appear to have rocketed.
 Rental Cars - Manatee
>>Through my minimal sniffing about the prices appear to have rocketed.

Restart your router (good chance it will generate a new IP) and open an incognito window in Chrome.
 Rental Cars - PR
Prices are high because apparently most rental companies sold off their stock in the pandemic (to stay afloat) and now can't get new ones due to the chip shortage
 Rental Cars - legacylad
Same in Spain.
Friends flew out yesterday, limited availability & sky high rental prices. They needed to go out of necessity to check a major refurb on their new property...they’re paying €200 for 11 days, with their own CDW policy. Normally it’s around €60...I normally pay €20/€40 a fortnight during the winter months ( not buying their insurance) . It’s slight hassle changing rentals every 14 days, and I’m about to check out a single 45 day rental period cost before I book my Brittany ferry early November.
 Rental Cars - maltrap
Can you recommend a rental company for Mallorca in October ?
The big companies that i usually use are sky high, are budget companies worth trying ?
 Rental Cars - maltrap
Can you recommend a rental company for Mallorca in October ?
The big companies that i usually use are sky high, are budget companies worth trying ?
 Rental Cars - No FM2R
A single quote just to get a feel for it was 7 days, Volkswagen Jetta, pick up and drop off at LHR, in September came in at £200.

I'd hope to get it a bit cheaper with effort, but that doesn't seem outrageously expensive. Am I wrong?
 Rental Cars - Bobby
£30 a day? That’s not bad I would say?
 Rental Cars - PeterS
For a car picked up at LHR I reckon that’s not bad at all, even in normal times.
 Rental Cars - legacylad
70 days car hire, October -December 2020 from Alicante, averaged €2.10 per day.

Changed my rental approx every 14 days to get the best deals using the broker DoYouSpain and had my own CDW policy so didn’t require their fully comp insurance. I enjoy driving different cars, and on changeover days visited places in the ALC area, so for me it wasn’t much hassle.
Those prices will never be repeated, but several friends are flying out late October for 60 days so we shall see.
 Rental Cars - legacylad
Several friends heading back to Spain next week...one month ahead of me.

Rental prices appear to be dropping after last summers ludicrously high prices. I’m only there for 45 days, so will either change every two weeks, or change just the once at ALC for convenience sake and pay a little more pro rata.

Currently looking at approx €50/€60 for two weeks full to full fuel and free cancellation on a small runaround, rental period starting next weekend...should be the same mid February.

Must remember to take out a new annual CDW policy.
 Rental Cars - Bobby
LL, remind me of the holiday accommodation provider you recommend?
 Rental Cars - legacylad
Ferrando, based on the coast in Moraira ( between Calp & Javea)

Marisa looks after the rental side, whilst her brother, Julian, looks after property sales. Of the 18 rental properties, I believe they own 17 of them, and don’t act as agents for third party owners. At one point I considered buying a property in the ( very expensive) Moraira area and asked what their management fees were, which is how I found out....I’ll continue to rent for the foreseeable.
The business was founded by their parents.

I’ve stayed in 5 of their properties over the years and consider the area my second home....pm me if I can be of any help.
And I’ve looked at numerous other of their properties, discounted because I like to walk into Moraira and some are a 45 minute walk, too far after a day in the mountains !
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 9 Jan 22 at 17:08
 Rental Cars - Bobby
Cheers will have a look.
Don’t know that stay at all other than a package holiday in Benidorm 30 years ago.

If I say to you one of the best holidays I have had was a Villa in Nerja , do you see any similarities between this area and Nerja?
 Rental Cars - smokie
LL do they do winter rates (for a month or more let) or is it just what the page says per week?
 Rental Cars - legacylad
Haha....heck NO !
In years past I’ve had a good discount on their weekly rate, whether it’s for two weeks or ten...and paid a large deposit for gas and electric. Some folks rarely go out and run up huge bills....seems fair to me. We’re out every day, unless it (rarely) rains.
These days I get an inclusive price because they know we don’t run up large gas and leccy bills....I’m not posting prices on here but suffice to say my next rental, Villa Marian for 6 weeks, is over 30% off the weekly advertised rate.
Should you contact them to enquire, don’t mention that discount....feel free to mention my name. They won’t know it as LL !
Latest Forum Posts