Motoring Discussion > Electric Commercial Vehicles Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 7

Electric Commercial Vehicles - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/av/business-58174043
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - bathtub tom
Guy Martin presented a recent tv programme where he attempted to set a new record for the fastest electric car over a quarter mile.

During that, he also attempted a run from Grimsby to John-of-Groats and back in 24 hours in an electric car. It took twelve and a half hours on the outward journey and we didn't see the return.
On the outward journey, he had to find charging points in advance of those planned - over half of which didn't work! At one point he crept into a charging point with 1% charge left.

The journey cost around twice as much for electric as it would have done for diesel.

He also failed the original record attempt, although to be fair it was in an old Beetle with Tesla running gear.

I don't think we'll be seeing the end of internal combustion yet.
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - Manatee
>>Guy Martin presented a recent tv programme

Just watching it. Half the chargers were problematic, either not work or not charging as fast as they should. Same on the way back, according to the voiceover.
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - No FM2R
I can't watch Guy Martin. In a world of artificial and contrived TV he still stands out as a leader in both.
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - zippy
>>I don't think we'll be seeing the end of internal combustion yet.

I think you are correct, and I'm guilty of buying a diesel MHEV in March.

There was an article on the news the other day with lorries (HGVs) using pantographs to pick up power from overhead cables on motorways and A roads.

The system detected bridges and lowered the pantograph appropriately (all fine until there is a mechanical failure).

Batteries within the vehicle are used for the "last mile(s)" of the journey. The overhead cables were on lane 1 of the motorway only, which is a shame, use all three lanes and adapt them for cars as well.

Base road charging on mileage and vehicle size and the notional cost of electricity used plus a contribution to the infrastructure and I reckon you're on to a winner.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 13 Aug 21 at 21:17
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - Zero
>
>> Batteries within the vehicle are used for the "last mile(s)" of the journey. The overhead
>> cables were on lane 1 of the motorway only, which is a shame, use all
>> three lanes and adapt them for cars as well.

Not possible, the hight differential between HGVs and Cars makes this impractical and dangerous.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Aug 21 at 21:58
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - Robin O'Reliant
>> >
>> >>
>> Not possible, the hight differential between HGVs and Cars makes this impractical and dangerous.
>>

And changing lanes might prove challenging.
 Electric Commercial Vehicles - Duncan

>> Base road charging on mileage and vehicle size and the notional cost of electricity used
>> plus a contribution to the infrastructure and I reckon you're on to a winner.
>>

You've definitely got a winner here.

What could possibly go wrong?
Latest Forum Posts