Motoring Discussion > Goodbye GB. Hello UK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 16

Goodbye GB. Hello UK - VxFan
GB number plate sticker no longer valid abroad.

British motorists driving outside the UK must now remove old-style GB stickers or cover them up.

Instead they should display a UK sticker or have the UK identifier on their number plate.

The UK government guidance has been in place since Tuesday 28 September.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Bobby
I’ll stick with my SCO thank you…….
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Zero
>> I’ll stick with my SCO thank you…….

Wont do in Europe mush.

I cant tell you how much this GB to UK thing annoys me, There was no consultation, no scrutiny in parliament, no warning, no requirement. Just added agro and expense.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Lygonos
>>Wont do in Europe mush.

ECOSSE usually fine in France. Maybe best a combo with UK just in case one comes across an officious gendarme.
>>Wont do in Europe mush.

Never been a problem to have SCO or Ecosse. Have never had a GB plate/ sticker and it’s never been an issue.
>> >>Wont do in Europe mush.
>>
>> Never been a problem to have SCO or Ecosse. Have never had a GB plate/
>> sticker and it’s never been an issue.

Never used a GB logo at all in the past, no country identifier at all. Never got a raised eyebrow.

I suspect, however, that post Brexit sentiment in France, would ensure scrutiny and official agro currently, specially as the frogs are really currently peed off with us over a certain sub deal.
Yeah you might be right.
I would start by playing the Jock card, we are not English, we never voted for it and I suspect that would win them over. :)
>> Yeah you might be right.
>> I would start by playing the Jock card,

The home of UK Nuclear submarines? nah wouldn't go there.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - hawkeye
>> ... Just added agro and expense.
>>

2 cars and a caravan done for £3. And not much agro either. Running that BMW must be more of a drain on your wealth than I thought Mr Z.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Rudedog
Just read the piece... can't see where it says that I 'must' cover the one on my number plate up?

Also is there a legal size for the bumper sticker? I see varying sizes from the full-on size to the small discrete ones about the size of a credit card?

I'm sure the vintage cars I see with the chromed metal GB on their grill won't be removing them.

I wonder who are the countries that could refuse drivers entry according to Halfords? No doubt wanting to sell more stickers.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Terry
The French know which cars are GB/UK - they all stop at the first petrol station they come to on the other side of the channel!
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - PeterS
>> The French know which cars are GB/UK - they all stop at the first petrol
>> station they come to on the other side of the channel!
>>

Thanks to the £:€ rate petrol was cheaper in France than the UK when I was there this summer, but it was definitely more expensive in France, Italy and Germany than the UK last year.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - R.P.
Rarely used one to be honest. Last time I was in France I was on the bike, probably for the first time had an Euro style one in the top-box just in case.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - sooty123
I wonder how people abroad get pulled over for this sort of thing, I bet it's very low.

All seems a bit like colour of passport, not particularly important.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - bathtub tom
>> I wonder how people abroad get pulled over for this sort of thing, I bet
>> it's very low.

Back in the 70s I put a GB plate on the bonnet as well as the boot, after reading advice that it helped recognise British cars. Reckon I was stopped by every bolshy French gendarme as a result.
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - sooty123
Well if 50 years ago was the last time there was any hassle from the french police about this type of thing, I reckon its not a priority ;)
 Goodbye GB. Hello UK - Dave_
>> Also is there a legal size for the bumper sticker?
>> I see varying sizes from the full-on size to the small discrete ones about the size of a credit card?

180mm wide by 133mm high, apparently. Shame, as I was planning to get the smallest UK one I could find to go near my GB/Euro stars numberplate.

There's probably a market for oval UK stickers with a tiny "I didn't vote for this" message across the bottom.
Latest Forum Posts