Motoring Discussion > Police car v human Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Police car v human - Bobby
www.thesun.co.uk/news/16680570/knifeman-stabs-people-shot-dead-norway/

I know cars have crumple zones etc but I am staggered that this is the damage done to a car from hitting a “pedestrian”

It looks more like it has been in contact with a tree!

And airbags all deployed. Aren’t airbags there to protect you hitting the steering wheel under rapid deceleration after an impact? Which this collision didn’t have?
 Police car v human - PeterS
I guess perhaps it depends where the sensor that trigger the airbags is located? If an 80kg person is hit at speed and the impact is in the vicinity of the sensor could it caused the triggering? Though I agree I thought some sort of decelerometer type sensor would be used and not affected by this type of impact. I must be missing something though because I couldn’t see any images of a badly damaged car in the link
 Police car v human - henry k
>> I must be missing something though because I couldn't see any images of a badly damaged car in the link.

Play the video clip.
 Police car v human - PeterS
Ah thanks :)

I agree, and the top down camera phone view doesn’t seem to fit with the view of it being towed, damage wise, either?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Nov 21 at 19:25
 Police car v human - zippy
I think the car hit a post.
 Police car v human - Bobby
Ah!
After some googling I came across this
www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-10/norway-police-shoot-dead-knife-wielding-man/100607838

Which would explain the damage after all!!
 Police car v human - Shiny
Not 100% sure it is the case here, but the bonnets on new NCAP ***** cars do that to deflect passengers over the top of the car instead of under it (albeit unwarranted and unfortunate in this case).
It is popped by pyrotechnics and obviously a new bonnet and firing mechanism are added to the cost.
 Police car v human - zippy
>> Not 100% sure it is the case here, but the bonnets on new NCAP *****
>> cars do that to deflect passengers over the top of the car instead of under
>> it (albeit unwarranted and unfortunate in this case).
>> It is popped by pyrotechnics and obviously a new bonnet and firing mechanism are added
>> to the cost.
>>

Yes, my Tucson has that.

Not sure that I'm happy about it or not (am if it saves someone, not if it costs me ££££).

Apparently it raises by a couple of CM to help absorb the impact of a person hitting the bonnet.

I'm not sure how raising a bit of metal towards a head / body helps but there you go.
 Police car v human - bathtub tom
>> I'm not sure how raising a bit of metal towards a head / body helps
>> but there you go.

It increases the 'deformable space' and thus reduces possible injury to whoever's hit. I've heard cars have been written off after it's activated as it costs more than the car value to re-instate the facility, similar to air-bags.
 Police car v human - Kevin
There was a bit of a fuss in one of the fish-wraps a few years ago with the owner of a Jag F-type complaining that his system had activated and he'd been quoted £X for a new bonnet and mechanism. Soon followed by others claiming it had happened to them too.

'I only hit a kerb and the thing went off, now I have to pay for new wheels, tyres, airbags and a bonnet.'
 Police car v human - No FM2R
>>'I only hit a kerb and the thing went off, now I have to pay for new wheels, tyres, airbags and a bonnet.'

Christ, Runfer better not get one of those.
Latest Forum Posts