Motoring Discussion > Waze - sound Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 22

Waze - sound - Bobby
Have downloaded Waze for first time and having a wee play about with it.
When I have the iPhone plugged into the USB and listening through aux in, the spoken directions comes through the car speakers.
When I am streaming from the phone via Bluetooth the spoken directions come through the speakers.
But if I am just listening to the car radio, no spoken instructions come through the speakers even though “BMW” is selected on the audio output on Waze.

Anyone else use it and encountering similar problems? I am assuming it’s a setting somewhere I need to do but can’t find anything obvious?
 Waze - sound - Duncan
I have tried Waze and deleted it. You get a message every time there is a crisp packet in the road.

Too much information.

Sorry, can't help with your specific problem.
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
Google maps is almost the same as Waze, but has no alerts, just directions.
 Waze - sound - sooty123
I've got waze on my phone but have the sound turned off. Same as all the sat navs/apps i find the instructions annoying.
 Waze - sound - Zero
count yourself lucky your sound does not work. That voice on Waze is enough to make you chuck the phone out the window,

Its a horrific product.
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
Given there are a trillion voices to choose from and you can record your own as well, that's a bit rough.

Waze - sound - Zero
>> Given there are a trillion voices to choose from and you can record your own
>> as well, that's a bit rough.

Given that you dont need to go through all that agro with google maps, no its not.

Waze is fine for your pedal car when you are 8.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Feb 22 at 09:07
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
You don't want to be taken literally of course. But the aggro is literally one click, a scroll, a click, done forever.

Or stick with the single terrible robotic voice on Google maps and enjoy traffic reports twenty minutes later than Waze, while not being told about the stopped vehicle round the corner or the escaped horse or the giant pothole coming up in the dark or the flood under the next bridge or the ice on the road over the hill, your call.

Waze - sound - smokie
I slightly prefer Waze over Google maps for the information, which you can customise the warnings individually if they are really too much for you. And once it routed me around an M4 planned closure which Maps didn't even seem to know about.

Or just use Google maps, it really doesn't matter to me. :-)
 Waze - sound - CGNorwich
I use Apple Maps.
 Waze - sound - Clk Sec
Google works well for me.
 Waze - sound - Zero
>> I use Apple Maps.

I think you do it just to be awkward, Suffering to express your individuality.
 Waze - sound - tyrednemotional
...he does it to give you the pip....
 Waze - sound - CGNorwich
>> >> I use Apple Maps.
>>
>> I think you do it just to be awkward, Suffering to express your individuality.
>>

It appeals to my core values.
 Waze - sound - Zero
>> You don't want to be taken literally of course. But the aggro is literally one
>> click, a scroll, a click, done forever.

Oh right yes its three clicks and scroll to

Boy Band? Randy? Cupid? Headspace????? to name a few - Alll of them US, all of them sound shocking.

38 THATS THIRTY EIGHT commands you have to record your own.

>> Or stick with the single terrible robotic voice on Google maps

So you prefer Cat? Master Chef? just some of the other awful sounding delights waze has to offer

Seriously I drive 13-15k miles a year all over the place, and Google maps knocks Waze into a cocked hat every time.

The maps are cartoonish and difficult to read quickly, and I want to spit at that cartoonish picture of officer dibble that appears from time to time.

I thumb my nose at you Waze lovers and seriously question your sanity.
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
Grin. You've not actually looked at the voice list, have you.
 Waze - sound - Zero
you think I made up Boy Band, master Chef?
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Feb 22 at 13:28
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
>> you think I made up Boy Band, master Chef?

No. You think I didn't think you were cherry picking to make your point?

Yes, those voices exist. Also existing are six ordinary American voices, two ordinary Australian ones, five UK ones, a Welsh one and a whole bunch of other foreign languages, if you really want to be navigated in Swedish or something.

Anyway, I'm not arguing, I'm just saying there are more voices available in Waze if anyone wants them, as you said you didn't like the default, whatever your default was at the time. And of course Google maps (which has some undeniably good bits) only has one voice, so you're stuck with it.

They really need to pull the two products together and use the best bits of each.

Waze - sound - sooty123
Well I've just popped out and a road nearby is closed due to a tree down. So chance to do a like for like.

Waze has the closed road but only if you zoom right in and will still send you down there.

Google maps had it as a warning from the map overview screen and redirected you around it.

In the end I came home, CBA in the end. it's chucking it down.
 Waze - sound - Crankcase
>> Well I've just popped out and a road nearby is closed due to a tree
>> down. So chance to do a like for like.
>>
>> Waze has the closed road but only if you zoom right in and will still
>> send you down there.

Waze has done that to me from time to time, and unlike say TomTom, it's just not set up to cope with reporting that or re-routing round it automatically when you are actually driving. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say in a closed minor road situation it usually works fine, but sometimes it is entirely useless.

I've never had it get it wrong on major roads though, don't know if anyone else has.
 Waze - sound - sooty123
It wasn't a minor side road, which is why I was surprised it wasn't rerouted/flagged up.
 Waze - sound - Bobby
I tried it just to see how it was, being an iPhone, I don’t get the actual speed on Google Maps but Waze gives it.
The English gentleman voice was fine, better than the Google Maps one.

I usually just use my BMW Sat nav on mute as I have HUD but on longer journeys I use it side by side with google maps. Neither of them have been 100% the whole time.
 Waze - sound - VxFan
Best thing I've had from Waze was a free jar of their roadside berries jam that I won through a free internet competition.

Latest Forum Posts