Motoring Discussion > Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - bathtub tom
www.starship.xyz/

We've got these things trundling around our pavements. They make me smile. Apparently, if they meet a pedestrian, they say "please excuse me" or something similar. I saw one waiting to cross the road. It appears you have to order a minimum of £15 of stuff and pay 99P for delivery. My grandsons are staying soon, I expect SWMBO will expect me to have one deliver. The website says you can change the tune they play!!!

A friend came across one at a busy T junction that had pulled out in front of a car and then couldn't decide what to do. A pedestrian picked it up and put it on the pavement.

White van man looked terrified as one came up the road. I tried to explain, but he wouldn't believe someone wasn't driving it remotely. Said they'd never believe him in t pub!
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - Manatee
I've seen them trundling the red ways in Milton Keynes, I assumed they were doing Amazon deliveries?

You'd think the scroats would kidnap them - or do they?
>> You'd think the scroats would kidnap them - or do they?

Apparently, they send out a distress message if someone tampers with them. They turn up at your door and you have to put a PIN into them to open them.

Don't know what happened to the one that a member of the public picked up and put on the pavement.

Locals suggest they'll end up in the river, like most shopping trollies.
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - zippy
If they get traffic off the road then that's a good thing.

Not so good of course is the loss of delivery driver jobs, but I guess, designing and building these things requires more skills.

They are cute. Could imagine a people sized one for campervanning.
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - tyrednemotional
...you could find a pitch "just behind the green bin near the back door".…..
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - maltrap
What is to stop them from being stolen ?
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - Clk Sec
Or being kidnapped by humanoids?
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - Zero
Lets hope they keep the genders apart, we could be overrun.
>>What is to stop them from being stolen ?
>> Or being kidnapped by humanoids?

They're apparently in contact with a base and send an alert in case of tampering, I believe they can also emit a loud alarm. They've survived in Milton Keynes for some time and if they can survive there, they'll survive anywhere, although I don't know if there's a rate of attrition.

Chatting to a postman this morning as one went past, he said it was going the same way as him and wondered if he could hitch a lift by sitting cross-legged on top. He told me he came across one that couldn't get up a steep, dropped kerb and it asked for help.
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - CGNorwich
Talking of robotic autonomous delivery vehicles how is Liz Truss?
 Robotic, autonomous delivery vehicles - Bromptonaut
>> I've seen them trundling the red ways in Milton Keynes, I assumed they were doing
>> Amazon deliveries?

The South Midlands Co Op use them. Every time I go the Rohan Shop at Stony Stratford I see them running about.

Couple of Co Op stores in Northampton too including a newish one near Quinton House School and one close to Abington Park which I used to see if dropping my colleague who lived that way off after work.

She mentioned that they talk including asking you to press buttons at Pelican type crossings.
Latest Forum Posts