Motoring Discussion > “Dieselgate” claims Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 22

“Dieselgate” claims - Bobby
I know it’s the new version of PPI claims, but seem to be getting inundated with adverts for this sort of thing.
Anyone know anything about it? Haven’t really followed the issues/claims?
 “Dieselgate” claims - Rudedog
I could probably claim as I had a VW diesel after 2007..... but guess what.... I didn't lose anything and I knew exactly what I was buying.

I still don't get how drivers can claim compo when they didn't actually suffer any loss.... doesn't seem right to me.

“Dieselgate” claims - zippy
>>
>> I still don't get how drivers can claim compo when they didn't actually suffer any
>> loss.... doesn't seem right to me.
>>

They did though. The cars were more efficient when on a rolling road than they should have been and therefore the MPG was higher in real life than it should have been.

Imaging 2 cars, identical save for the cheat software. One reports 100g/m co2 and 50mpg, the other 200g/m and 25mpg.

Which one would you buy? On top of that you weren't getting the real life expected MPG because you would expect the one with the tested 50mpg car to be more efficient than the 25mpg car but it wasn't.

Personally, I think VW got off too lightly.
Missed the edit...

and if you were "green minded" you may have even paid a premium for the VW product as opposed to another brand because of the improved co2 rating - you were effectively conned in to buying that car as opposed to a rival at a cheaper price.
 “Dieselgate” claims - CGNorwich
I had a Golf TDI made during this period. I bought it because I liked the car. Nothing to do
with emissions. I doubt I even checked them out at the time I bought it.
It gave me good service during the period I owned it and I got a good price for it when I sold it. As far as I am concerned I lost nothing and I bought another VW a petrol Golf SV, the car I have now.
I have an electric ID3 on order. I haven’t always had VWs but the last two cars have proved to be the most reliable and best cars I have ever owned. Yea
I have no intention of joining the compensation culture bandwagon.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 15 Aug 22 at 00:29
Just because you purchased one on that basis, didn't mean everyone else did and it may have been just one of the factors that the buyers chose, but if it was a factor, they were cheated because they may have purchased something different.

I also thing the government should sue, because of all the BIK revenue that they likely lost for company car tax.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 15 Aug 22 at 01:03
think not thing! Doh!

Fraud is becoming a matter of course in our society and we seem to be conditioned to accept it.

90 year old MIL got several calls from someone pretending to be Domestic and General. Wanted her account numbers and OTP code for her account. Luckily she had the wherewithal to at least check with us before handing out the details. Her bank has been alerted.

The Telegraph ran an article where to elderly people had been conned out of approx. £1m. The police won't do anything. Just report it to action fraud and the bank, it's staff, it's shareholders and pensioners will be that little bit worse off as the banks have refunded significant proportions.

We see loan fraud at the bank. Firms overstating income, profit or cashflow. No harm they say as we would have lent them the money anyway. We may have, but at a higher rate if we knew the risk was higher (risk / reward) and risk directly impacts the products, rates and fees offered.
Whenever I see the slightest fraudulent data I report it (I am obliged to under threat of prison for failure to report financial crime) and I ensure that a CIFAS marker is raised and if possible recall the loan. It may stuff the borrower but they tried to stuff me, personally - and my job is on the line if I miss something - it's personal.
 “Dieselgate” claims - Fullchat
"90 year old MIL got several calls from someone pretending to be Domestic and General. Wanted her account numbers and OTP code for her account."

I had calls 2 days on the trot at the same time from a far away land, informing me my agreement for mu appliance insurance was about to expire. I dont recall who they claimed to be calling on behalf of.

As we don't have appliance insurance it was a non starter :) Thieves!!
 “Dieselgate” claims - Bromptonaut
>> "90 year old MIL got several calls from someone pretending to be Domestic and General.
>> Wanted her account numbers and OTP code for her account."

I've had a few claiming to be D&G. SFAIK their call centre is UK based and in the Stratford on Avon area. The callers had strong foreign accents and were on poor quality telephony.

I told them that as I now have both a pension and work income and no mortgage I can afford to pay as I go for repairs; please would they cancel the policy.
 “Dieselgate” claims - CGNorwich
It does mean though that I was not miss sold anything and am not therefore morally entitled to so called compensation. I rather suspect that most people who bought a VW in that period were similarly happy with it . Most joining in the class action are just after some free money and suffered no real loss .

The constant bleating for compensation by money grabbing lawyers is one of the more unpleasant factors of modern life.

“Dieselgate” claims - Zero
>> Just because you purchased one on that basis, didn't mean everyone else did and it
>> may have been just one of the factors that the buyers chose,

it wasnt. If it was they would have bought a petrol. To try and jump on a claim for compo for a loss, that wasn't, is fraud.

All ambulance chasing does is put up your costs
 “Dieselgate” claims - RichardW
In VW's case it was more the other way around - the 'defeat' device detected when it was being tested, and downgraded performance to upgrade emissions. In the real world performance (and probably economy) were better, whilst emissions were worse. Post emissions fix may reported drivability problems / increased consumption. I can see in VW's case there might be a small loss to compensate for reduced value and / or drivability problems, but the ambulance chasers are suggests almost anyone with a diesel has a claim 'for thousands' which sounds pretty spurious to me - although they obviously think there is something winnable in it given the amount of ad spend they are throwing at it, and no-win no-fee arrangements!
 Ring doorbell and floodlight - bathtub tom
There must be a warehouse full of these with my name on waiting for me claim them.

Anyone else?
 Dieselgate - Bromptonaut
On the basis of having the Roomster from 2015-19 with an EA185 engine I'm technically in scope to make a claim.

I wanted that car and long preferred diesel to petrol. No disadvantage to me as, whatever its consumption, it was good enough and significantly better overall than the current petrol Fabia.

I repeatedly declined the engine mod. Daughter's in laws had their Passat modded and felt it was never quite as responsive afterwards.

I shall not be joining up. I'll wait for more court decisions before taking a view on whether the claims are even moral .
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 15 Aug 22 at 09:11
 Dieselgate - PR
Individuals as have said on here did not lose materially.

The environment certainly did.

I would think though that being sold something that was a lie (the emissions figures) where you did not lose anything is still fraud

If you had paid £1000 for upgraded leather for example, and they had instead fitted something cheaper you might be a bit miffed, even though there was no real difference to your ownership experience. You backside would have not noticed..
 Dieselgate - CGNorwich
>> Individuals as have said on here did not lose materially.
>>
The environment certainly did.

Good reason for a a large fine from governments. No reason for “compensating” individuals.

If I had explicitly ordered leather seats and got plastic I would indeed have reason to complain.

At the time of purchase I know more cared about the emissions values than what brand of tyres they fitted. If I didn’t care I shouldn’t be compensated.

Dieselgate - PR
Yes and if you'd ordered a car that did 50mpg whilst emitting only Xmg of NOx, which on paper was better than the non cheating opposition who could only manage 45mpg then you were also cheated

I agree on the governmental fine. As in the US. And they made VW offer buybacks on all of the cars. There was non of this Id rather not get it made legal..
 Dieselgate - Zero
>> Yes and if you'd ordered a car that did 50mpg whilst emitting only Xmg of
>> NOx, which on paper was better than the non cheating opposition who could only manage
>> 45mpg then you were also cheated

Except of course the no fee claims companies are targeting ALL makers of diesel cars during this period, claiming they all cheated.
 “Dieselgate” claims - Bromptonaut
>> I know it’s the new version of PPI claims, but seem to be getting inundated
>> with adverts for this sort of thing.
>> Anyone know anything about it? Haven’t really followed the issues/claims?

One of the firms running this stuff is Leigh Day:

www.leighday.co.uk/latest-updates/cases-and-testimonials/cases/learn-about-the-vehicle-emissions-claim/?

They're a large and reputable firm who appear to have already had some success regarding the most egregious alleged offender - VAG
 “Dieselgate” claims - Zero
PPI is a whole different ball game. That was a service that banks knew they were offering - almost by default - to target audience that was never going to get paid. It was, in effect, financial fraud. people were out of pocket.
 “Dieselgate” claims - smokie
On which point we recently had an approach from a company saying that the pensions advisor (IFA) SWMBO took retirement pension advice from has gone into liquidation and we should consider whether we had been mis-sold.

We wanted to cash in the pension into a SIPP and they were about the only company we could find who would support it.

So we did it.

I suppose I could work out how it's grown and whether we'd have been better off keeping it as a work pension but I really can't be bothered.

Though my (ex-IFA) mate just had an unexpected £20k+ payout from a high st bank for a timeshare he'd bought. He paid about £15k for it and was guided to the bank to take out a loan, which he repaid immediately. I turns out his purchase was in a very small window when the bank were not the authorised loan shark. The bank initiated the action and did all the work, all he had to do was confirm details to them - in fact he believed it was some sort of scam more or less till the money appeared in his account!! He got the £21k plus he got to keep the timeshare (probably worthless in real money but they haven't had to give it up - and have already done OK through it - swap for elsewhere, had some good holiday offers etc).
>>PPI

Yes, thieving idiots, but was there mens rea? I'm not convinced. No one has been prosecuted and I'm sure the FCA would instigate a prosecution if appropriate.

As an indicator, my employer found that we had got the interest rate wrong on a huge number of accounts over an extended period. The actual percentage was quite small but the contracts said we will lend at base x + y% but used base z + y%. Someone had just selected the wrong option on the rates list.

The only data for all the balances was end of day reports in PDF, millions of lines of data. Armed with a PDF converter and the correct rates we refunded everyone who overpaid interest and swallowed the loss on anyone who underpaid interest. This was done the day after we realised and I was involved with getting the data together so we could refund customers.
 “Dieselgate” claims - RichardW
VAG was proved to have defeat devices and has been fined accordingly. They settled out of court with owners for £lots (£193M springs to mind...). Going after the other manufacturers looks a lot shakier as they haven't been found guilty of anything - there have been real world test where cars are shown not to be meeting the emissions rules, but that's harder to make stick as the rules only say you have to pass the lab test (well, not anymore as there is a real driving section now). I imagine they are trying to get lots of people signed up and hope that they can lean on the makers to say give us some cash or we'll make lots of noise...

I looked on the LD link - but it's England and Wales only, not Scotland so no 'good' for us!
Latest Forum Posts