Motoring Discussion > Parking fines Legal Questions
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 13

Parking fines - wotspur
Oh yes we’ve all received them for spurious reasons a person I know has been sent a fine in a retail outlet for Not parking in the space provided . All four wheels are in the parking bay and the car is almost perfectly straight , but the back is over hanging the back white line .
I always thought that it was if the wheels are within the boundary then that was fine .
Any advice
 Parking fines - Falkirk Bairn
If it was me, I live in Scotland, I would just ignore the parking invoice. In Scotland the parking invoicers need to know the driver's name - they have paid for the car owner's name who is not necessarily the driver and if you do not tell them they will never know. They will send increasing ££s and threats of court action but cannot do anything as they do not who the driver was..

rUK I would take the photo to the Store Manager and ask him / her to fix it.
Failing that I would ask the local paper to publish a picture / put it on-line etc etc

Failing to withdraw the invoice it would be the last time you would be in the shop & you will be telling everyone you know to be aware of using his carpark / shop.
 Parking fines - zippy
As Falkirk says, have a word with the store manager. It's worth a go.

I noticed that the local Tesco superstore, which is sited alone, away from other businesses, has just implemented parking restrictions.

I didn't take much notice as I'm rarely there but there seemed to be several different levels from 3 hours, down to 10 minutes, depending on the time of day.

It can take 10 minutes to get through the checkout queues and another 10 to get around the store!

There is no explanation about what happens if your arrive say at a 3 hour time slot but that goes over a two hour slot etc.
 Parking fines - Dave_
>> the local Tesco superstore, which is sited alone, away from other businesses, has just implemented parking restrictions

Do they offer free EV charging? A lot of Tesco stores do now.
 Parking fines - zippy
>> Do they offer free EV charging? A lot of Tesco stores do now.
>>

They do.
 Parking fines - CGNorwich
Why did you park it partly outside the space and how much is it overhanging?
 Parking fines - bathtub tom
I once got an FPN for parking my car with a bit of the back overhanging a motorcycle parking bay. There were no bikes in the bay. I think the 'yellow peril' was having a bad day.
 Parking fines - smokie
IMO it's not so bad if you are overhanging into access lane a bit but annoying if you are overhanging into another space, preventing it being used.
 Parking fines - Zero
>> IMO it's not so bad if you are overhanging into access lane a bit but
>> annoying if you are overhanging into another space, preventing it being used.

Which I faced the other day. The space was reduced by the dork in front, the beemer is 5m or so, thats long, and its gorgeous bum was sticking out in the access lane asking to be patted by a passing car. I had to move to a space further away.

So advice to your friend? Tell them to pay up and park properly next time.
 Parking fines - Bromptonaut
>> Why did you park it partly outside the space and how much is it overhanging?

The OP is quite clear that it is an acquaintance who has been ticketed and not himself.

Car park spaces are often too short for even quite modest sized vehicles. Years ago I attended work training in Maidenhead. Even though I had the front bumper touching the wall the rear was over the space.

Also, as this is a supermarket carpark, factors like access to boot for self others is a factor.

This is, I assume, England/Wales. Following the Beavis case in the Supreme Court, parking companies are quite bullish about following up. Ignoring the parking company's threats is an option but ignoring the County Court is not and untangling a default judgment isn't straightforward.

As others suggest I'd be writing to the supermarket and the parking company looking for the PCN to be withdrawn.
 Parking fines - wotspur
Thanks Bromptonaut , it was a lady on a FB Unfairparking charges page . I was always led to believe if the wheeels are in the parking bay , and you Weren’t Interfering with a space behind that was ok .
Yes I believe it was a Tesco supermarket .
Many of whom now have vultures who , If you park on that site and go to the post office or another place , off the supermarkets land will also issue a ticket , EVEN if you then go into the shop and spend money . Yes when you receive aticket , the shop will normally cancel it .
The other one I hate , having been fined , was arriving at a multi storey car park at 14.00 , having to go to the top floor , and parking for 2 hours at 14.10 . Getting back to the car within that time frame 16.05 , and then taking 15 minutes to depart .
On entrance and exit it is APNR registered and you’ve been on site for 2 hrs and 25 mins and only paid for 2hrs . That is wrong
 Parking fines - Manatee
I'd take my chances in court on that one. How are the terms and conditions worded? Did they use a plumb line? What is reasonable, is everyone supposed to get out, check, use their own plumb line or builders' level and move the car if necessary?

I very much doubt if it is the level of enforcement intended or explicitly sanctioned by Tesco/the council/whomever.

Fascists.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 20:25
 Parking fines - tyrednemotional
...jeez, I parked the motorhome across 4 spaces at a LeClerc supermarket today. (Busy at that).

How many euros is Jacques Bonhomme going to be after me for now?
 Parking fines - Rudedog
Could be a common issue with the move the EVs, wife was given a Leaf as a courtesy car and it stuck out a good 20cm over the end of our drive compared to her Polo parked in the same position.

Not sure what you can do when parking if your car sticks out length-ways if all of the spaces are marked up the same in a supermarket.

Latest Forum Posts