Motoring Discussion > Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 15

Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - tyrednemotional
...I wish my car had....

On return from my three week sojourn sur le Continent, the initial year's subscription for my car's data SIM had expired, and there was a map update waiting for the built-in Satnav.

In anticipation of the SIM expiring, I'd bought a replacement from EE, at rather less than half the cost of continuing with the existing Vodafone SIM.

Maps can be updated OTA (subject to size) but I prefer to do them by download via the PC to a USB stick and update from that (rather more reliable, and the data is already paid for on the home broadband).

I decided, however, that updating OTA would be a reasonable test of the new connection, and updating the UK segment is not too data heavy.

So, I fitted the new SIM, and tested it was working by checking the online weather - all fine. Set off the OTA download, which counted up to 100%, but no subsequent update happened. Installation can take some time (for a single map segment it installs in parallel to the existing version, and only switches over at next engine off - it means mapping remains available during update. There is an accompanying "Installing" message, or more correctly, in this case, there wasn't). For the UK it's usually about 25 minutes.

The map didn't update, and a message appeared in the "download centre" saying "installing software", which persisted for 5 days!). Looking online, it is not entirely a rare occurrence, but the means of fixing it is not clear.

I finally cracked, and used the USB method, which successfully updated the UK map......but, the "installing software" message persisted.

Incidentally, the USB method installs a full 2.7GB map; OTA however uses 144MB of incremental change data.

I phoned the servicing dealer (they're the closest to me, aren't the selling dealer, and are in fact an authorised service dealer only, no sales). "Bring it in first thing tomorrow morning and we'll look at it straight away". So I did. It took 5 minutes for the tech to say "we've seen this before, and cleared it with a full Europe map update". The service receptionist said "you can leave it with us to do that if you want, but it will be a long job, or, given you know how to use the USB method, you can do it yourself, and if it doesn't work, we'll book it in for a longer look" - which, given the circumstances, I elected to do.

The full map download is 55GB! The Volvo servers are slow, and it took 6 hours (left to it's own devices) to download. Then copy to USB, verify, and stick it in the car.

It took quite a bit of fiddling to get the installation started ("go away, I'm busy" messages and the like) but eventually it started. Oddly enough, it was much quicker than a single 2GB or so map segment, and only took about 25 minutes for the whole thing. It did, however, completely disable Navigation and associated functions, so was patently using a different methodology.

Engine off, and on restart, the update of all European countries was complete.

....but, of course, the "installing software" message (along with an annoying circling icon) was still there. Something is borked and it looks like it will need a full day hooked up somewhere.

(The system doesn't take "push" updates OTA, only map and apps selected from in the car, so it isn't anything but some corruption from the first, stalled, attempt at map update).

Luckily, the car is still well in warranty, but sometimes I thing we've over-complicated things.

Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Bobby
You have made me wonder actually.
My BMW has all that internet type stuff and live road updates.
Assume I must have a SIM somewhere but certainly don’t pay for it!
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Zero
>> You have made me wonder actually.
>> My BMW has all that internet type stuff and live road updates.
>> Assume I must have a SIM somewhere but certainly don’t pay for it!

You do, and someone has paid for it, and the subscription may run out.

do you have an account at www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive? Login and check your services paid for.
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - bathtub tom
Isn't it remarkable how we used to manage without all this stuff.

A lot of us still do.
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Clk Sec
>> A lot of us still do.

Not sure about that, as my modest 20 years old limousine has air con, cassette player, central locking, and (wait for it) electric windows all round.

So there!
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Boxsterboy
Map updates are always really slow, whatever the device (e.g. my Garmin gps is always so slow I rarely bother).

And your experience with updating built-in sat-navs shows why so many rely on Google/Waze, etc. via Apple/Android Car-play these days.
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Rudedog
My 2019 GTi was right on the cusp of when VW went over to OTA updates for maps so mine is still stored on an SD card and the updates come out every 6 months which I can do myself... maybe not so obvious are that the speed sign warnings work in conjunction with front-camera and satnav so the map SD has to be kept plugged in (some drivers took them out as the only used phone maps which flagged up warning lights).

I had just over three years sim connection to the VW We Connect app which has just run out, unfortunately they want about £150 per year to reconnect to give me all of the bells and whistles to monitor exactly what my car is doing or has done journey wise.

I can still use my phone's hotspot to connect my car which gives some limited services.

Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Bill Payer
>> I had just over three years sim connection to the VW We Connect app which
>> has just run out, unfortunately they want about £150 per year to reconnect to give
>> me all of the bells and whistles to monitor exactly what my car is doing
>> or has done journey wise.
>>
Was quite surprised reading a Tiguan forum the other day that a few users had paid for that - personally I wouldn't dream of it, and I didn't think anyone would pay it.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 7 Oct 22 at 12:37
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - VxFan
Vauxhall, back in the late 1990's used to have a system called TrafficMaster and you had the 1st year free, with the option to subscribe thereafter. Very few people did, so Vauxhall stopped bothering to fit it in around 2001.

More recently, they fitted OnStar, which had WiFI and other clever stuff, again free for the first year or so. Then when no one bothered renewing the subscription, it was also dropped.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Oct 22 at 13:17
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - R.P.
Ah yes TrafficMaster !
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - R.P.
The OE sat-nav on both of my last Volvos were awful compared to the BMW system in 335. I rarely used it to be honest and preferred the Apple Car Play sat-nav. Used my TT rider to get to Harwich (actually very good in plotting non motorway bike friendly routes) and used my iPhone with Google Maps in Netherlands (as my friend had sent me a Google route to his place) and was spot on, including finding food/drink stops in Hoek on the way home. I wouldn't bother with OE sat-nav in future if was subscription based. Google (other mapping is available) has been a game changer in navigation.
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - legacylad
I understood very little of the original post, but as my last 3 cars have had Apple/Android Car Play I’ve not used the in car Sat Nav. I plug in my phone and use Google Maps or Waze.

Question.
On my current rental, a Citroen C3 with Apple Car Play, I can only adjust the volume of the direction instructions by using the phone. It paired ok but the car volume control button doesn’t control the speaker volume when using Car Play for Google maps.
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Crankcase
Sometimes the volume for spoken directions can only be changed by the car volume control exactly as they are being spoken, if you see what I mean. All my recent cars have worked that way.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 8 Oct 22 at 07:45
 Volvo - ....A Few Less Chips - Dog
S'funny, when I picked up my new car from Somerset, I used the satnaff to get me back on the M5.

I'd never used one before bee leave it or not - even though I've had 'em in previous cars.

Well, I couldn't hear the nice lady giving me directions, and I didn't know how to increase the volume.

:o)
...indeed. Whilst there might be "deep" settings somewhere, it is reasonably common for volume adjustment to work "by source", and only when that source is active.

e.g. adjust the 'phone/bluetooth volume when that is actively playing; adjust the Satnav announcement volume when there is an active announcement overlaid on whatever else is being listened to..... usw.
...car spent the morning in with the servicing agent.

After hooking it up to VIDA (the Volvo dealer software) they decided they'd better simply overwrite the core software for the functions affected.

Luckily, it seems to have done the job (and most of the stored settings have remained as they were before).

All under warranty of course, though one wonders what the charge would have been if it wasn't.

Cause, of course, unknown - but definitely attributed to the failed OTA update.
Latest Forum Posts