Motoring Discussion > Noise cameras being trialled Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 14

Noise cameras being trialled - VxFan

A noise-detecting traffic camera is to be trialled as part of a crackdown on "boy racers", the government has said.

The camera is fitted with microphones to record vehicle noise and provide digital evidence to police.

It will be used in Keighley for two weeks before moving to Bristol, Great Yarmouth and Birmingham.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-63291631
 Noise cameras being trialled - Rudedog
Pretty sure they already have those up in the 'swanky' parts of London where the hypercars are driven up and down disturbing the Kensington brigade.

Noise cameras being trialled - Slightlyfatdirector
They do indeed.

Daughter's boyfriend got a ticket from one somewhere in London earlier this year.

I can't remember the details of where and what dB the limit was, but he was apparently well over it in his C63 and we were both a bit surprised. Neither of us had ever heard of it before, and whilst his car has a decent 'grumble' to it, I wouldn't say it's excessively loud.

They sent a photo, not a recording :)
 Noise cameras being trialled - Fullchat
I was sat outside a cafe in an urban street a few days ago. You could hear hard acceleration and loud overrun banging coming up the street in the queue of traffic. Eventually it reached us and there was a Richardhead with stupid grin smiling at fellow customers.
I'm assuming some sort of map or gadget is able to ignite unburnt fuel in the exhaust. The sound was just like multiple gun shots
Apart from excessive noise disturbance I'm sure a person suffering from PTSD as a result of military service would be particularly disturbed. Its totally unnecessary.

>> I'm assuming some sort of map or gadget is able to ignite unburnt fuel in
>> the exhaust.

The chavs used to use a spark plug screwed into the exhaust pipe to ignite the unburnt fuel. Activated by a separate coil and switch.
Wonder what the noise camera would make of this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IKthNYhVY
Fixed Penalty Ticket heading his way :)
 Noise cameras being trialled - Rudedog
They interviewed the makers of the acoustic cameras on R4 about this but in the whole piece they never mentioned what the actual UK db limit was so I was none the wiser.

Also they mentioned it was to tackle modified cars but many performance cars have the 'pops' and 'bangs' as standard on the overrun when you lift-off suddenly, not sure how drivers running an unmodified car that have passed EU/UK build regs could be ticketed.

Then of course you have the standard two stroke scooters that can be heard several miles off.

Noise cameras being trialled - CGNorwich
74 dB apparently
 Noise cameras being trialled - bathtub tom
>> many performance cars have the
>> 'pops' and 'bangs' as standard on the overrun when you lift-off suddenly,

I understand the pops and bangs are necessary to keep the turbo spooling, done by injecting fuel into the engine on the overrun that is then ignited in the exhaust.

Why would you need the turbo spooled up in an urban environment?

My fuel injected car cuts off the fuel on the overrun, as it's not necessary.
"Also they mentioned it was to tackle modified cars but many performance cars have the 'pops' and 'bangs' as standard on the overrun when you lift-off suddenly, not sure how drivers running an unmodified car that have passed EU/UK build regs could be ticketed."

A lot of it is down to manner of driving. Hard acceleration and deceleration which induces the banging. Driving normally would not induce the excess noise.

The Construction and Use Regulations cover all manner of exhausts and noise issues. Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 covers vehicles being used in a manner which causes alarm, distress or annoyance.

There just need to be the will to enforce.

Of course being petrol heads we love to hear the sound of a performance engine but there are boundaries.
 Noise cameras being trialled - CGNorwich
“Of course being petrol heads we love to hear the sound of a performance engine but there are boundaries.”

Never understood the noise thing. It’s all a bit juvenile. Like driving around with stereo on full blast and the windows open.
 Noise cameras being trialled - smokie
That made me think of that mod the good ole boys in the US (and many others probably) made to their diesel exhausts on their pickups to puff out huge clouds of thick black smoke over anything they take exception to - called rolling coal.

Anything they took exception to has been a target - protestors, Teslas and (maybe not surprisingly) Trump haters.
 Noise cameras being trialled - bathtub tom
Daughter had an old car with a breather emptying into the top of the carb. It was a small diameter pipe that I found was blocked. Unblocking it produced clouds of white smoke as the oil collected was drawn into the engine. I toyed, briefly, with an arrangement consisting of a T piece, washer pump and redex that I quickly removed. I thought I could inject a drop now and then as a de-coke aid. The resultant clouds of smoke were completely unacceptable.
 Noise cameras being trialled - martin aston
Many years ago I stuck some Redex or similar cleaner in my Morris 1100. I expected there might be some smoke that would quickly subside. How wrong I was. It produced clouds of white steam or smoke for several minutes of running. I lived in a city centre flat so it was on the public road. I drove off thinking it would be better to disperse the cloud but it was pretty persistent, and embarrassing, on a quiet Sunday morning.
Never again.
Latest Forum Posts