Motoring Discussion > Speed Enforcement Thresholds Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 14

Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Fullchat
This article flashed up for me. Auto Express did a survey in 2009 on speed enforcement thresholds. They contacted 45 UK police forces. Of the 33 that responded, 25 shared information.
Generally the threshold is 10% + 2MPH. So process in a 30 starts at 35MPH.

tinyurl.com/2edn5dsr
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 10:24
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Zero
Surrey police recently let it be known they had dropped the threshold to 10%+1mph

Edit: and the met is reported to have dropped theirs from 10% +3 to 10% +1
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 10:31
I generally set my speed limiter/cruise to 10% +3 as the speedo reads a consistent 3mph fast across the full range (as checked by several GPS devices), and I tow the crossover camping vehicle at indicated 66/55 mph
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 10:36
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - smokie
2019 FC, 2019 :-)

10% + 2mph has been the ACPO guidance for a few years now, though forces didn't have to follow it. See a useful table in section 9.6 here (despite the date it is stil the same, AIUI)

www.npcc.police.uk/2018%20FOI/Operations/030%2018%20Speed%20Enforcement%20Guidance.pdf
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Fullchat
Yeah ok 2019, 2019. My bad :)
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Bill Payer
My wife has an SAC coming up for 35. She always panics about a local red light camera so sped up through it - turns out it also records speed!
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - smokie
Could have beena double whammy though!!

Though have a very vague recollection from the dim and distant that you can't get done twice in the same trip, or maybe it's just on the same bit of road on the same trip.
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - tyrednemotional
...wouldn't cover two entirely different offence categories, though...
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Runfer D'Hills
A guy I used to work with got pulled over in Birmingham one evening because a police officer thought he was driving too slowly. The policeman’s suspicions were compounded by the fact that apparently at the time the vehicle was travelling through a local “red light” district and he assumed a bit of kerb crawling was underway.
In fact, my erstwhile colleague was transporting a tank full of tropical fish in the back of his estate car that he’d bought on eBay.
Or so he claims anyway.
;-)
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - tyrednemotional
...sounds a bit fishy to me...
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Runfer D'Hills
He was asked at work if there were any crabs involved…
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - zippy
Similar thing happened to a colleague many years ago before satnav. He was visiting a client and arrived at his hotel the evening before.

He went and scoped out the client’s premises so he could find it early the next morning, including taking some file photos of the building with no one around to stick their nose in.

Unfortunately the police did! The industrial estate became a red light district after hours and he was driving slowly to find the right industrial unit!

Luckily he had the appointment and address printed out.
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Unfortunately the police did! The industrial estate became a red light district after hours and
>> he was driving slowly to find the right industrial unit!
>>
>>

Forgive me, but I can't help being a bit skeptical here...
 Speed Enforcement Thresholds - zippy
>> Forgive me, but I can't help being a bit skeptical here...

I haven't worked with him for over 20 years now, but have bumped in to him at industry dinners etc.

If you knew the guy, you would know the story was as he described, for lots and lots of reasons. Also, as it was his first time there, he wouldn't have known it was an red light area.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 20:41
>> He was asked at work if there were any crabs involved…
Slippery character, he's lucky he cod'a got battered by the locals.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 14:40
Latest Forum Posts