Motoring Discussion > Suspend insurance and SORN Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 4

Suspend insurance and SORN - legacylad
Hip replacement imminent and a pal recommended I try to suspend my insurance and SORN the car whilst I’m unable to drive for 5 or 6 weeks.
My annual policy is circa £250, and after a quick live chat my insurer RIAS advise it can’t be done ( my garage is pretty secure and alarmed) and if I were to SORN it they’d need to speak to the underwriters.
Worth 10 mins of my time asking the question but won’t take it any further....cba to be honest.

I did find out that I can add a car to my RIAS policy for a max of 45 days, but my insurance expires before my tentatively planned 7 week road trip to Spain and other such lumpy areas commencing May once the hip is firing on 3 cylinders again.
 Suspend insurance and SORN - Zero
i have had two 6 week periods where I couldn't drive for medical reasons. I wouldn't even consider sorning for that period of time, and I certainly wouldn't raise the spectre of "unable to drive for medical reasons" in font of my insurance company.
 Suspend insurance and SORN - legacylad
Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you ‘raise the spectre’ ?

Once the surgeon gives me the ok to drive post op, what effect can that have on any future policy ?
 Suspend insurance and SORN - Zero
>> Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you ‘raise the spectre’ ?
>>
>> Once the surgeon gives me the ok to drive post op, what effect can that
>> have on any future policy ?

the surgeon does not usually give you the OK to drive, all you will get is a recommendation of a minimum period not to, it varies by patient to patient and your follow up appointments will probably not coincide with your ability to drive. The choice of when to drive is up to you.

I was fit to drive after my broken hip after 4 weeks. I tested that by how much pressure and speed I could hit the brake pedal. After my cancer surgery it was 5 weeks, that was driven by the ability to wear a seatbelt and upper mobility.

Suspend insurance and SORN - smokie
"Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you ‘raise the spectre’ ?"

Holiday insurance rather than motor, but I told them when the doc increased the amount of blood pressure tabs I take cos it was tending towards the top of the scale. He said he was just being cautious. Still cost me an extra £35 a year, IIRC. Slightly annoying, when I know I am being medicated to keep it under control yet there are probably loads who aren't and who pay less insurance.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 21 Nov 22 at 16:49
Latest Forum Posts