Motoring Discussion > What's in a name? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 22

What's in a name? - Rudedog
I see that Hyundai are running an advert teaching us 'barbarians' how to pronounce their name.... not sure what's brought this on considering how long they've been operating in the UK.

Maybe runs along the same lines as the Skoda ads were they put a native twang to word Skoda coincidently there are loads of YT videos where native speakers are 'laughing' at the way English speakers say certain car brands from Europe and Japan.

Maybe we should do the same and get those b***** Americans to say Jaguar correctly!

What's in a name? - Manatee
How is it pronounced, Fanshaw?

I wouldn't buy a car I can't pronounce. Quite a few people have told me about their "Mitsy-Bushey".

Are those upturned margarine tubs pronounced Tess-la, or Tezla?

What's in a name? - carmalade
I’ve always pronounced it “hi and dry “ , for some odd reason.
 What's in a name? - CGNorwich
Nikola would have pronounced it Tessla. He was Serbian I believe. Musk says Tezla. I guess its his Company
 What's in a name? - bathtub tom
>>coincidently there are loads of YT videos where native speakers are 'laughing' at the way >>English speakers say certain car brands from Europe and Japan.

Need we remind them of why the Nova had a different name in Spanish speaking countries?
 What's in a name? - Duncan

>> Need we remind them of why the Nova had a different name in Spanish speaking
>> countries?
>>

Innit the same with Toyota Prado?
Also any idea why Go Compare have changed their name to Go Dot Compare? Must be some thing to go to the expense of running an ad campaign.
 What's in a name? - tyrednemotional
...it's to do with the technical implementation of search in the browser URL bar (not the separate search box).

I'd need to read up the background, but the fundamental difference is that the inclusion of a special character (the "dot") gives the ability to make the search from the URL bar work differently via a "pseudonym".

Enter "GoCompare" and you would get a list of search results (the top of which would most likely be the link to the GoCompare website, but there would be thousands of others). You'd need then to select the appropriate link.

Enter "Go.Compare", and the GoCompare (or now Go.Compare) website is now opened directly.

(I don't really think the use of a special character is critical - other examples of the use of a "pseudonym" exist without it - Local press for example use "thisisxxxx" (Nottingham for example) to provide a similar function - it simply needs a pseudonym that isn't the same as the main domain/url name).
Thanks for explaining that I would have never known.... I wonders if other big brands will do the same? Bet companies like Google won't be happy as it seems to bypass the opportunity of displaying pages of paid for ads.
 What's in a name? - henry k
Rolls Royce Silver Mist was a close miss
 What's in a name? - Zero
The Japanese never got why we would have laughed at the Mitsubishi Starion.
For ages I really tried hard to pronounce Porsche with an A at the end because apparently that was the correct way... since then I've seen numerous native Germans who either work or race for Porsche saying it in the same way as most British speaker do so I gave up.
 What's in a name? - legacylad
>> For ages I really tried hard to pronounce Porsche with an A at the end
>>
So long as you can pronounce Barbie it doesn’t matter.

Tommi Toyota is far easier
 What's in a name? - R.P.
People are talking about the Hyundai advert, so it's a win. Noticed that Skoda's YT ads are now spoken of as "Shkoda" what's wrong with foreign people wanting English speaking people to verblise their words properly ?
 What's in a name? - bathtub tom
When my late MIL went on her first trip abroad, she said they were going to a strange place called dunkerquay.

She was married during WW2 and her husband saw action in Egypt!

>>verblise. Really? I suspect Dunc's having a seizure.
 What's in a name? - CGNorwich
If only British people would pronounce Paris, Köln , and Firenze like the natives do.
My neighbour has a Minor. So is that a Morris or a Maurice ?
 What's in a name? - Runfer D'Hills
I have a northern acquaintance who tells me that he recently changed his Paush for a Mazaratty. Prior to those he had a Range Roveh Spaught and a Meh-cedeez.
 What's in a name? - martin aston
I went to one of those snooty perfume counters to buy my wife some perfume.
I asked for “Chance” in the English pronunciation. Oh you mean “Chance” the assistant replied using the French.
Yes, I said, from Paris (French). Eh, no Paris (English) was the response.
 What's in a name? - Duncan
Bombardier.
 What's in a name? - Zero
>> Bombardier.

pronounced Alstom.
 What's in a name? - Zero
>>Noticed that Skoda's YT
>> ads are now spoken of as "Shkoda" what's wrong with foreign people wanting English speaking
>> people to verblise their words properly ?

As someone said, we dont try and keep telling them how to say Jag-u-are
I see that Vox All is now pronounced Per joe .
Latest Forum Posts