Motoring Discussion > Copart "Circle of Life" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 4

Copart "Circle of Life" - Bobby
I know Copart has been discussed here in the distant past. I follow them on Facebook and the sheer variety of cars that they auction are unbelievable. The amount that are "unrecorded damage" is also staggering.

Now I get the argument that insurance companies will "write off" cars quicker now due to the price that they can get for damaged vehicles. People are paying high prices for damaged cars as they can then get replacement parts at much cheaper costs that main dealers because... welll.... there is a huge market in stolen cars getting stripped down for parts. I was just reading today that the thieves have now came up with a more advanced version of the "relay theft" in that they can now remotely access the ECU of some cars from outside the car.

There are also reports of many vehicles being stripped in situ now - folk coming back to their vehicles to find full front ends have been unbolted and removed.

So stolen and recovered undamaged - sold through Copart
Damaged and not recorded - sell through Copart
Damaged and various "Category" definitions - sell through Copart for spare parts if needed.

Kind of ironic that insurance companies are selling damaged cars through Copart knowing that the parts needed from them will probably come from other insured cars that are stolen to order for the parts.

But it must be worth it for all concerned? Just the punter losing out?

And on similar subject, I also follow "Dodgy Cars" on facebook - they regularly post info on crashed cars that have subsequently been repaired and then sold on. Most of these do not appear as any "category " definition. And would be surprised at how many of them seem to turn up on Evans Halshaw forecourts!

Copart "Circle of Life" - Fullchat
Back in my day (and it probably still applies). If a vehicle was involved in an RTC and had sustained significant damage a V23 was submitted. Thsi resulted in a marker being placed on the DVLA and subsequently the PNC databases.
If a check was completed and it indicated 'V23 submitted' it instigated a closer look at the vehicle and a bit of digging. I located several 'ringers' by that simple process.
Even if the RTC was minor a 'Minor RTC card' was submitted which also triggered the V23 process.
All very simple. I'm not aware if the insurance industry submitted V23s for vehicles that had not been involved in policing processes.
Move on to present day. Its difficult to get the Police to attend and deal with any RTCs as it is. Everything cut to the minimum. "Exchange details and let your insurance sort it". It was also difficult to reinforce the importance of a simple administrative process and the consequences of not doing so.
So unless insurance companies submit V23s or 3rd part vehicles are being taken to dismantlers there are still endless opportunities for 'ringing' or mass numbers of parts entering the word of dodgy practices.
If you scan the adds you will often see 'damage repairables' advertised as 'unrecorded'.

I recall in the 90s the large scale thefts of hot hatches:. XRs, Cosworths, GTEs and their like. In My area there was a ring that stole the vehicles and took them to a remote area where they were dismantled. Parts sold on. The ring was investigated and a large numer of parts recovered. When I say large I mean an aircraft hanger full. The issue was finding a suitable facility to store such a haul until court cases were concluded. They ended up quite a distance from my base with extra alarms for security. Infact across a county border. If you search for the location of the Memphis Belle film location your question will be answered. (if you are remotely interested :) )
One night the alarm was activated and yours truly dispatched, collecting a key en route. On arrival and entry I was met with the hangar full of car parts. 'Kid in sweetshop' doesnt quite cover the feelings of a true perol head. Anyway it was a false alarm :S
My point is that its not a new phenomenan but the theft of parts in the street seems more blatant and there is always a market for cheap parts.
Motorcycles are being stolen and shipped off to European countries in containers. You can buy your bike back in bits on the interweb.

Copart "Circle of Life" - Zero
The majority of cars are now written off because of parts lead times. If your policy has a hire car provision, 4 months to get a part (and thats not unusual) leads to a big hire bill.
 Copart "Circle of Life" - smokie
I understood that also cars tend to be written off as the current manufacturing process, or more to the point safety design, means that the car crumples externally and pops apart internally on collision to absorb energy, and the latter can be quite hard to fix. Could be wrong...
 Copart "Circle of Life" - VxFan
>> and the latter can be quite hard to fix.

Try telling that to the Russian YouTuber Arthur Tussik.

www.youtube.com/@tussik01/videos

I've seen him repair stuff that should really be only fit for the crusher.

One of his more recent repairs:- www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Pt45EtTbQ

And one of his "cut n' shuts from couple of years ago:- www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2f-q4WPfs

Latest Forum Posts