Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 18

Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Falkirk Bairn
Looked at 3 franchises, all Japanese.
Nothing wrong with the car but better access needed as we are getting a bit older (77)

The car my wife thought of was £32K list and the garage was looking to squeeze £7K T/I making the cost to change around £25K plus some extras - say £500

The other 2 garages wanted to give their price once we tied down trim levels and any extras

This morning I had a look at some prices on-line and Drive the Deal were offering the same car, same trim for £27K + £500 extras

Looked at Motorway.co.uk and their estimate was £9K -

Making their cost to change around £18K+ £500 extras if we take take them.

A huge difference - even if Motorway only made £8K it would still be a huge difference

No rush, I will do my homework before committing

Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Bobby
So is this an old CRV for a new one?

What’s the difference in the access between the two?
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Falkirk Bairn
T/I my old CRV for a new car providing easier access.
My wife had a hip replacement, the pain has gone BUT access still an issue.

Looking for smaller/lower but not too low a car with easier to get in/out. Budget under £40K!
Ah I never read properly. Sorry.

Always thought a higher car would be more suitable than a lower for mobility issues. But as you say you can get too high I guess!

Wonder if the batch of mini SUVs like Seat Arona, Ford Puma, Audi Q2 etc would be a halfway house?
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Rudedog
While younger than most on the forum I have a right hip problem combined with sensory nerve damage around my lower back and thigh, for me by far the biggest issue is not how low the car is but how much room I have to manoeuvre to get in so if a car parks too close to me then I basically stuffed as I can't do any kind of limbo to squeeze in.

I've always driven Golfs... they are perfect for me with the size of car and the driving position but I now have to park well away from others so I can fully open the drivers door just in case some one with a wider car parks too close to me.

Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - smokie
I find that SWMBOs Yaris is one of the easiest cars to get in and out of, doesn't require doubling over etc.
Access considerations

1) Height of sills from the ground
2) Width of sills
3) Distance from outer edge of sill to seat - too wide makes it tricky
4) Bolster on seat - height makes it more difficult to slip on to seat
5) Door width, how wide it opens etc
6) Door handle grab

Getting in is half the problem
Getting out easily just as important.

The Arithmetic of measurements tells you something but it's literally bums on seat in/out that is the acid test.

The additional problem is that, in he last 28 years, I have only bought 1 brand new car that was not Japanese and that was a disaster. I find myself struggling with a handful of brands as I exclude UK, French, Italian, German brands

I have had some 40+ brand new cars since the early 1960s (Some company, some for wife/children) and it is only in the last 28 years have I found what a reliable car is - Japanese!.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Boxsterboy
>> The additional problem is that, in he last 28 years, I have only bought 1
>> brand new car that was not Japanese and that was a disaster. I find myself
>> struggling with a handful of brands as I exclude UK, French, Italian, German brands
>>
>> I have had some 40+ brand new cars since the early 1960s (Some company, some
>> for wife/children) and it is only in the last 28 years have I found what
>> a reliable car is - Japanese!.
>>

It's odd this breakdown thing. In all the years I have been driving I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken down:

1. Hillman Hunter - engine seized due to failed oil pump circa 1981.
2. Renault 18 - broken clutch cable 1984 (in Belgium - luckily I had a spare as they were known for this due to tortuous cable route, so I wasn't delayed for long while the local garagiste did his stuff).

So to me reliability is not a problem and I don't have to restrict my choice of car as a result. Well apart from VW group cars. 6 years ago the engine on a Transporter I owned from new was worn out after just 4 years/60,000 miles due to bad engineering. I sold that before the engine seized. No more VW group cars for me.
My dad still won’t buy a Ford cos his Cortina’s used to struggle to start when it was raining or damp!
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Kevin
A girl in our local had a laugh like a MkI Cortina starter motor on a damp morning.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Dog
>> his Cortina's used to struggle to start when it was raining or damp!

No doubt caused by a faulty 12v supply from the starter solenoid to the 9v ignition coil = Ford's cold start system.

Bit late now though :}
What is the car you priced up in your original post?
CHR & Yaris Cross - both new - top model Yaris Cross, lower model CHR.

Honda HRV idea dropped - very slow.
The Mazda CX30 dropped as it is a Mazda3 on stilts - well finished but did not appeal although on paper it looked to be a good bet.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - R.P.
We've used DTD twice, once for my Wife's MX5 in 2017 and my Audi A4. Service was excellent from both dealers. The only issue is where the car is collected from. The MX5 was from Nottingham and the Audi from er..Grimsby. The collection of the Mazda worked for us as our nephew was at University there so we had a pleasant enough day ! I enjoy journeys and the trip to Grimsby was OK for me - never been there before. But if I was in the market for another DTD trip to anywhere I'd do it.

DTD are honest and upfront, once the initial deal was done, I didn't hear anything from them. No issue for me, the supplying dealer has a DTD dedicated salesman, the whole thing was very easy.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Lygonos
>>DTD are honest and upfront, once the initial deal was done, I didn't hear anything from them

I was advised (by them) their business plan is to take 1% of the car's price effectively for introducing you to the dealer.

All money goes direct from customer to the dealer.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - CGNorwich
I used DTD for the purchase of my ID3. Local VW couldn’t (wouldn’t?) come anywhere near the price. Dealer used was JCB. Volkswagen in Chatham. Car was delivered free. It was actually good not to have to deal with all that sale hassle at the dealers and attempts to sell overpriced car polishes and gap insurance when you pick up the car.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 25 Apr 23 at 17:55
Exactly the two Toyotas I was going to suggest!

Colleague had a new Yaris Cross hybrid, loves it and very economical!
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - legacylad

>> Colleague had a new Yaris Cross hybrid, loves it and very economical!
>>
Unlike my Yaris.
I’m obviously driving it wrong.
 Honda CR-V III - Looking tot T/I 10 yr old CRV Ex for a smaller car - Dog
Howls about: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2023-04/2023-honda-zr-v/
Latest Forum Posts