Motoring Discussion > Roof Tents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 18

Roof Tents - Bobby
Seeing more and more of these on the market. Saw one set up in Go Outdoors the other week and it looks good for what it is. But probably not suitable for my camping trips but ideal for somewhere to sleep overnight in a road trip.
Interestingly in the spec of this it mentions that as long as the car roof can take minimum of 50kg. But a tent and a couple of adults could be putting a lot of weight on those roof rails?
Obviously it’s not going to have the same dynamic forces as if you were driving down the motorway at 70mph with 150kg on the roof but does still seem strange that there isn’t much focus on the car’s capabilities?

www.millets.co.uk/16618550/oex-vertex-lite-roof-tent-16618550
 Roof Tents - Bobby
And a follow up question.
What exactly is the point of them and why not just throw up a pop up tent beside your car?
 Roof Tents - Zero
These things keep making an appearance as the next big thing, then rapidly get dropped.

They are a ridiculous waste of space, and there is a reason its being sold at nearly half price.
 Roof Tents - Bromptonaut
Seen them in the past on Land Rovers and similar but I'd not want to try it on my Berlingo still less the Fabia. That said, I'd considered an arrangement with a few scaffold boards so I could sit over the roof of my BX at airshows. Limit there though was 100kg and I was barely half of that at the time.

I suspect the advantage compared with a 'pop up' is that there's no need to faff with pegs or guy lines or with cold and dampness, or worse in a thunderstorm!!
 Roof Tents - tyrednemotional
...more popular in countries with ground-based threats...

(and with people who practice BBQ Bungee ;-) )
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 26 Apr 23 at 22:14
 Roof Tents - legacylad
Totally pointless unless there is the threat of scorpions, poisonous snakes or chance of being dragged off by a dingo.
Or other carnivores
 Roof Tents - Zero
Bears have been known to drag people out of them, the food is on the eyeline shelf.
 Roof Tents - Runfer D'Hills
>> Bears have been known to drag people out of them…

Don’t think that happens much in the UK? Might be wrong of course.
;-)

Roof Tents - sooty123
Seems like some sort of camel trophy wannabe add on.
 Roof Tents - martin aston
The roof load aspect bothered me too. However the headline roof load figures in the handbook are the dynamic load for a moving car and take into account other factors such as centre of gravity. So Bobby’s mention of dynamic is relevant.
A random roof tent page I found online says the safe static load is five or more times the dynamic load. They have a vested interest of course and can’t possibly have checked every car and its roof rails but intuitively it must have some truth. After all a rolled over car doesn’t fold when it’s taking the car’s weight. The rails will fail though and your tent will be in tatters.
That aside the prices are eye watering and I can’t see the attraction.
 Roof Tents - Duncan
If you think I am going to sleep in a tent on top of a car, you have got another think coming. What could possibly go wrong? - Oh I see.
 Roof Tents - John Boy
>> What could possibly go wrong? - Oh I see.
>>
The prospect of being left alone on the roof when strong wind has removed the tent?.
 Roof Tents - Boxsterboy
I would worry about rolling over in the night...

Seriously though these are an awful lot more expensive than a similar sized ground-based tent. I could put up with a bit of damp/discomfort for the money being saved. Or even put myself up in a Premier Inn for a few nights with the money saved!
 Roof Tents - legacylad
A good quality tent..Hilleberg manufacture some excellent tents.. will retain a lot of its value. Sleep mats have improved immeasurably the past few years…mine is down filled, warm and very comfortable. In a double skin tent you’ll be warm & dry with the right kit, and a deep eave allows safe cooking.
Camping isn’t for everyone but I often prefer it to mountain huts, with snoring, trumping and surly wardens charging extortionate amounts.
Wales coast path beckons once Spain becomes too warm for walking. ..I enjoy wild camping with the occasional camp site for a shower.

I paid £350 for my Hilleberg Akto 25 years ago…still like new, and current RRP is £680. Saved me many thousands in accommodation.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 27 Apr 23 at 10:24
 Roof Tents - Bobby
We went camping in 2021 to Great Yarmouth. Took the new inflatable mattress thing that the missus had picked up in a Xmas sale and had sat in the loft since.

Only when it was inflated did we realise it was a King Size and about two feet off the ground! Huge!
I do wonder if some sort of mat would be be more comfortable and practical. Though we also picked up a couple of the clip together canopy bed type things as well in a sale. They are probably comfy enough without a mat and are raised off the ground.
 Roof Tents - CGNorwich
I thought they were a joke at first. Sort of thing you see Dragon’s Den followed by a collective “I’m out.”

Absolutely ludicrous.
 Roof Tents - John Boy
My camping days are over, but I used something like this attached to an estate car:
www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Outwell-Outwell-Sandcrest-S-Awning-2023/m-34102.aspx?PartnerID=1631&gad=1
I'd sleep in the car and keep all the paraphernalia in the tent. I had one when most tents were blue and fluorescent orange and a later one, called a Caranex, which was made in Scotland. Both of mine could be free-standing, so I could use the car during the day. That's not the case with the one above.
 Roof Tents - Zero
At dog shows, I pitch one of these over the back of the Beemer.

khyam.co.uk/products/screendome-quick-pitch-shelter
 Roof Tents - Bobby
I saw something similar to that in an email offer yesterday.
Can’t remember who it was from. Looked impressive.
Latest Forum Posts