Motoring Discussion > Traffic light counters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 13

Traffic light counters - Crankcase
Stopped at roadworks with traffic lights the other day. I remembered that in France, we encountered a similar situation, but the red light had a counter going. You could see how many seconds until it changed.

Great idea.

Why don't we have those? Is it just good old British "not invented here" syndrome?

There can't be that many manufacturers of traffic lights, so I bet they're in the catalogue.
 Traffic light counters - tyrednemotional
...but if they imported them from France, they'd have to convert them from LHD seconds to RHD seconds....
 Traffic light counters - Duncan
We have them in some places, but perhaps only for pedestrian crossings?

tinyurl.com/y3xwsh4p
Not seen that before, Duncan. Seems a good idea there too.
 Traffic light counters - Mapmaker
>> Not seen that before, Duncan. Seems a good idea there too.

They feel so common in London that it's almost a surprise not to see them!
 Traffic light counters - Bromptonaut
>> We have them in some places, but perhaps only for pedestrian crossings?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/y3xwsh4p

I think London pinched the idea from the US.
Ah yes, the metric second. Still, we do seem to have an increasing number of unofficial signs marked in metric. Cafe 100m, that kind of thing. My brain still hiccups to read that as 100 miles.

Walking the other day, public footpath sign showed distances in km. Are they not part of signage legislation?
 Traffic light counters - Bromptonaut
>> Walking the other day, public footpath sign showed distances in km. Are they not part
>> of signage legislation?

No, I think the issue and relevant legislation relate to signs on 'the King's Highway'. All sorts of formats for public footpaths. Sure I've seen some in the style used in Switzerland where time to signed destination is included.

Traffic light counters - zippy
I recall that there was talk a while ago of having traffic lights transmit change sequence and times to cars so that drivers and self driving cars could adjust their approach speed to spend the minimum of time stopped.

www.seat.com/company/news/company/the-car-that-communicates-with-traffic-lights

edition.cnn.com/2018/10/29/business/volkswagen-siemens-smart-traffic-lights/index.html

Traffic light counters - Kevin
Regional govt. in Attica have signed an agreement with Google to manage traffic lights in Athens. The Google system will adjust the timing of red and green phases using live data from mobile phones and traffic sensors to reduce congestion and emissions

For quite a few years now Athens has had a system whereby cars and vans could only enter the city on alternate days depending on the registration number. Plates ending in an even number one day, odd numbers the next.
A local told me that all it really achieved was the creation of a market for old bangers with the 'right' number plate.
 Traffic light counters - tyrednemotional
>> Regional govt. in Attica have signed an agreement with Google to manage traffic lights in
>> Athens.

...Italian Greek Job, anyone...
 Traffic light counters - wotspur
For year traffic could ‘can turn on a red light right in the USA , Why can’t we turn left on a red light , knowing if we cause a crash , it’s 100% our fault .
The biggest thing I’ve found with the numerous roadworks in and around Weybridge is the signage doesn’t go back far enough . Take 7 hills road , suddenly you come over one of the hills and all there are , are lights , and half way between the 1st hill and the 2nd are roadworks and a sign , where it’s redundant and obvious , but not one before that 1st hill
 Traffic light counters - CGNorwich
1 Turning left on a red would substantially increase the risk to pedestrians crossing the road. It’s all very well saying it would be the driver’s fault but that’s no compensation to someone who has been killed or injured.

2 To get more notice of road work delays simply use Google maps.
 Traffic light counters - R.P.
They have them on temporary traffic lights in the Irish Republic - very useful
Latest Forum Posts