Motoring Discussion > Fuel prices creeping up Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 21

Fuel prices creeping up - Rudedog
Over the last two weeks noticed that petrol has started to creep up in price - anyone know the reason why?

I thought it was on it's way down - local to me it was just getting to £1.40, now just just two weeks later the same station is up to £1.51

Fuel prices creeping up - Bromptonaut
>> Over the last two weeks noticed that petrol has started to creep up in price
>> - anyone know the reason why?

Supply v demand?

Holidays here and in Europe; American driving season.
 Fuel prices creeping up - Runfer D'Hills
Mentioned elsewhere but petrol and diesel was significantly dearer in France this trip than here, even allowing for the €/£ exchange rate.
 Fuel prices creeping up - Kevin
€1.96 to €1.99 for UL in Greece last week.
>> Mentioned elsewhere but petrol and diesel was significantly dearer in France this trip than here,
>> even allowing for the €/£ exchange rate.

For a long time diesel in France as about the same in Euro a litre as £ here. Petrol rather more.

Taking the (petrol) Fabia this time as it's a short trip sans caravan and the main driver, moi, prefers it to the 'lingo. Might cost a few £ more for fuel...
 Fuel prices creeping up - Terry
Over the last month the price of a barrel of Brent crude has gone up from $74 to $82 per barrel.

A barrel of oil contains 157 litres - a price increase of $8 per barrel - 5 cents a litre - about 4p.
>> Over the last month the price of a barrel of Brent crude has gone up
>> from $74 to $82 per barrel.
>>
>> A barrel of oil contains 157 litres - a price increase of $8 per barrel
>> - 5 cents a litre - about 4p.

I've read in several places that retail prices on the forecourt are determined by spot prices for refined product more than $ per barrel of crude. Massive price gap diesel>petrol last year was because the spot price was driven up as we'd been dependent on diesel refined in Russia.
 Fuel prices creeping up - Robin O'Reliant
My local jumped from 141.9 to 149.9 yesterday.
 Fuel prices creeping up - smokie
15.1p a kWh for me today, cheapest it's been for a bit and cheaper than it's likely to be for the next week. Currently on the charger till full.

A kWh gets me between 3.5 and 4 miles, maybe a bit more.

A £1.49 litre is £5.40 for a gallon. Say that gets you 50 miles. So worst case that's about 8.3 kWh which costs about £1.25p.

If I was only motoring I'd go back to the plan which has the proper cheap overnight rate (7.5p) but the daytime cost is about 30p so if I'm not doing a great mileage then the cost balances out. It's under constant review though :-)
 Fuel prices creeping up - R.P.
Currently 1.47 at Apple Green where we live. £1.34 a litre in Sainsbury Wrexham....worth going there.
 Fuel prices creeping up - CGNorwich
"15.1p a kWh for me today,"

That's pricey, Only paying 10p per Kwh with OVO Charge Anytime. Average consumption over 9 months including winter is 4 miles per KwH. so that's works out at 2.5 pence per mile.

Drove into Norwich last night to visit cinema. Total fuel cost 10p. Four hours parking cost £7 You cant win!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 3 Aug 23 at 22:48
Can't see that tariff on their page, it only offers me one. Is that 10p per kWh for all electricity, or just for your car?
 Fuel prices creeping up - CGNorwich
www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime

Just for car. Standard rate (no surcharge) for everything else.
I decided to switch to a Tracker tariff at start July rather than the Octopus IO tariff, which would have given me 6 hours for any use from 00:30, plus occasional random and unannounced periods during the day, at 7.5p then the remaining daytime at about 31p. So as long as my charging remains reasonably low I ought to be at least about the same.

It's hard to directly compare TOU tariffs but my thinking was I'd be doing less charging, and gradually the tracker rate will come down. Tracker was 8p a few Sundays ago, for 24h. It's peaked at about 18p since I've been on it. You only get to hear tomorrow's rate at about 11am the previous day but that's plenty of time to decide whether to charge the car today or tomorrow, if it needs it.

And with tracker I don't feel obliged to wait till the cheap rate overnight, to charge or dishwash or tumble dry . In July I seem to have saved a bit over £10 on my 400kWh usage - I have an average of 15.3p per kWh. So this month the theory has worked.

I have recently measured usage of some of my appliances and the savings from running them in the cheap periods was barely enough to factor their use in. The dishwasher uses about 1.1 for a regular cycle. The washing machine 0.6, and even the tumble dryer is only just under 0.5 kWh for an hour.

And if my usage patterns change so it becomes unfavourable I'll just switch to the IO tariff, but as winter looms my daytime usage is likely to go up so it will remain a tricky decision :-)
 Fuel prices creeping up - Timeonmyhands
4.54 litre/imp gallon.
£1.49 x 4.54 = £6.76. Per gallon.
 Fuel prices creeping up - wotspur
I find that the garages in Watford off the A41 are amongst the cheapest , Sainsbury’s diesel the other day I think was 141.9 , possibly because just down the road is a Costco which is even cheaper, but I don’t have an account .
I’ve also found garages in gillingham and ashford in Kent and Asda in Preston much cheaper than my local Asda in Woking
 Fuel prices creeping up - Bobby
I paid £1.33 for diesel in Glasgow Costco last week maybe go once every couple months and always fill up when there.
Depending on what mileage someone is doing they could easily recoup the cost of membership on fuel savings alone.
 Fuel prices creeping up - legacylad
£1.50 for petrol at my local Coop garage...paid £1.58 there yesterday for some 97 octane super unleaded. Next closest is Coop garage in Ingleton, 11 miles away.

Cheapest will be Tesco in Skipton, 17 miles away. Not worth making a special journey there to fill up...I always use the free bus when visiting Skipton, unless on my way to or from the airport when it’s only 2 miles off route, so I’ll get a full tank of Momentum 99 octane later this month.

Thinking about it...a full tank will cost me more than the return flight I’ve just booked to Spain in December !
 Fuel prices creeping up - Rudedog
On Friday saw diesel at 161p/l and petrol at 159p/l in one of my local Shell stations and yet other big brand stations were still selling petrol at 155p/l.

Wasn't sure if the price of fuel already delivered and in the ground can be raised or is it only on new deliveries?

Seems the price is still slowly moving up.
 Fuel prices creeping up - Falkirk Bairn
I was at Costco a few weeks back - petrol station mobbed when I went in.
When I came out 2 hours later the queues were even longer.
The forecourt was full, say 60 car queue, and the queue stretched back into the carpark - say 50+ yards.

I had half a tank - wasting 20/30 minutes to save £3+ did not appeal to SWMBO & me!
I gave Shell a pass in Stirling, last week - £1.59 for 95 and the V-power is around 15p on top making £1.74!
 Fuel prices creeping up - Lygonos
Costco Edinburgh often has cones out to create a snake of cars so the guys waiting for fuel don't block the way out for the more enlightened of us.
 Fuel prices creeping up - sooty123
I paid 151 for diesel, although I've seen at 172.
Latest Forum Posts