Motoring Discussion > Photo driving licence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Photo driving licence - Bobby
I didn’t realise photo driving licences had a 10 year expiry until I handed mine over for my courtesy car this morning whilst my BMW is having yet another EGR recall.

According to DVLA website they send a reminder out but I certainly didn’t get one!

One for you to check.
 Photo driving licence - martin aston
I renewed mine this year. I can’t remember if I got a reminder. It was a very quick service.
I was surprised they still link to the passport service and use your passport photo. As this can already be up to 10 years old then your driving licence photo could be twenty years old by its next expiry.
I suppose it’s good enough, it’s a small image anyway.
 Photo driving licence - Bromptonaut
Mrs B was caught out when hers expired during the pandemic. She was driving without an in date licence for several months.

Mines up next year I think

And thanks for including the word photo. Reminded me my Senior Railcard wasn't on my current phone and I'm going to London tonight for a work reunion.

Sorted now.
>>Mrs B was caught out when hers expired during the pandemic. She was driving without an in date licence for several months.

Am I wrong in thinking that the 10 years applies to the actual plastic card but you still have an actual valid driving license? Dealer was happy to give me the courtesy car based on the expiry date on the rear of the license.
 Photo driving licence - Bromptonaut
>> Am I wrong in thinking that the 10 years applies to the actual plastic card
>> but you still have an actual valid driving license? Dealer was happy to give me
>> the courtesy car based on the expiry date on the rear of the license.

I was wondering how the hire had progressed but assumed a sensible dealer would do what yours did.

The ten year thing is about making sure the photo is recent(ish).

My current photocard licence expires next year but the photo is from my passport in 2014 and was taken in 2009. Might just be recognisable but hair on head and face ain't dark anymore...
 Photo driving licence - Zero
Got to renew mine early when I hit 70. The expiry date is printed across the bottom of your photo
 Photo driving licence - Kevin
That's not an expiry date. That's a mugshot arrest number.
So todays conclusion.
I definitely prefer the seating position of SUV type cars ie my X1 over the 1 series.

And
The BMW XM is one hugely ugly car from the front. The boss of the dealership has one. Black. Every bit in the front is blacked out. Imagine it would be very threatening to see that in your rear view mirror!!
Something like this
www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/m-models/xm/2023/bmw-xm-overview.html
Latest Forum Posts