Motoring Discussion > Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 35

Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - tyrednemotional
...on a Porsche heading up the A1.

Admittedly it was on a trailer, but it might have confused the ANPR cameras....
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - Runfer D'Hills
Sheesh, I wondered where it had got to! I specifically told them to go up the M40,M42 and M6…
;-)
...surely you won't have ordered one with a Yorkshire registration.....?

(Anyhow, you won't want that one; I overtook it twice in the motorhome!)
FE 73ETS ?
..now that would be from my (current) neck of the woods, but the connection defeats me, unless it's a dyslexic reference to your Alma Mater.
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - martin aston
I think it’s weasily guessed or are you stoataly confused?
Just noticed that in haste I put the space in the wrong place, now it should make perfect sense.
FE73 ETS
Or not. On reflection, it’s probably gone as far as it can as a line of thought. As you were etc.
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - legacylad
Like that....
Many years ago friends in the manufacturing business had the reg ‘K9 BED’ on one of their commercial vehicles.

What surprises me is the sheer number of cars driving round with illegally spaced plates....last week on Skipton High Street I saw a bright orange Lamborghini with a tiny front plate...can’t remember what exactly but something derogatory.

Whilst in grumpy mode I see an increasing number of illegally parked vehicles these days. Just double park and create a one way traffic flow whilst you go to the shop...happens regularly on the Main Street in Keighley. And drivers who straddle the pavement/ zig zags on Pelican crossings whilst collecting their take away...an empty car park literally 20 metres away.
>> Just noticed that in haste I put the space in the wrong place, now it
>> should make perfect sense.
>> FE73 ETS

...if it had been on a Polecat 2......
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - Kevin
>..Anyhow, you won't want that one; I overtook it twice in the motorhome!..

Fancy an upgrade TnE?

www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202210271129128?advertising-location=at_motorhomes
...rather cheaper than the ones I'm off to Germany next week to look at... ;-)

www.promobil.de/neuheiten/luxusreisemobile-auf-dem-caravan-salon/

(Mr Google will translate it for you)
Friends of ours who retired early about ten years ago, sold their family house as the kids had grown and gone, and bought a small flat in their home city to keep as a bolthole/UK address.
With some of the remaining money they bought a 90’ ocean going sailing yacht. They had previously learned how to sail and had owned smaller vessels prior to that.
Anyway, they are still sailing about in the boat to this day. Following the sun basically. They occasionally take paying guests to supplement their pensions, but most of the time they are on their own unless some family members fly out to wherever they are for a holiday.
They’ve been around the world a few times now and indeed to some pretty exotic locations.
Not rich people in monetary terms really, but incredibly wealthy in terms of quality of life.
I suppose a version of that could be achieved with one of those big camper things.
>..they bought a 90’ ocean going sailing yacht.

That's a fair size yacht for two* to handle.

* Mrs K and yours truly were sailing around the Greek Islands a few years ago and met a retired BP engineer and his wife doing the same. In one little but very busy place Jeff had run out of anchor rope and had to motor back, extend his rope and come in again. While he was doing that and trying not to drag someone else's lines at the same time his wife was sat on deck painting her fingernails.
Later, when I asked her why she hadn't helped him she replied "Oh, I don't do anchors dear!"
I was reminded of this today

I'm on a Stellplatz near Ravensburg, and onto the next-but-one space, in rolls a massive f-off Morelo, the driver of which proceeded to offload his Smart car from the garage in the back (god knows how the Morelo handles, as the Smart is entirely in the rear overhang).

He was outdone by a later arrival who had an even bigger Morelo. Different time zones front to back. I'm expecting him to offload a Routemaster tomorrow :-)

Guy who's now parked next to me has a 'van not much bigger than mine, but even he's towing a Smart on a trailer.

Deutschland, eh!
Ok so I guess this is a silly question, but I genuinely am puzzled by people with motorhomes towing small cars. Surely they would be better having a large car and towing a caravan? Or am I missing something?
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - bathtub tom
I've had a couple of wheeled sheds and could never see the point of a motor-caravan. You'd have to pack up everything and stow it away if you wanted to drive anywhere and you could get back to the site to find someone's nicked your pitch. I know some have taken to packing a couple of e-bikes to get around locally. Makes me smile whever I see a motorhome with a tag-along behind.
There's a local radio presenter who recounted the tale of a relative that bought a motorhome, used it once and flogged it because of the problems.
Buy a small tent. It’s the future.
And when it rains stay in a hotel or B & B.
Works for me..but not for everyone I suppose.
I’m going to buy a not all that small tent this winter. Next summer it will be used a lot I hope. I already have a straw hat, a couple of pairs of cargo shorts and a portable barbecue so there’s not much else to get really…
;-)
>> I’m going to buy a not all that small tent this winter. Next summer it
>> will be used a lot I hope. I already have a straw hat, a couple
>> of pairs of cargo shorts and a portable barbecue so there’s not much else to
>> get really…
>> ;-)

I’ve never used a portable barbecue, or owned a pair of cargo shorts....are they
The baggy style which finish just below the knee, have multiple open pockets, and have tassels having off them ? How awful they look.
I do own more tailored walking shorts, above the knee, with only a couple of secure zipped pockets, one of which must be able to accommodate a phone. Lip salve and tissues in another.
Anything else goes in my day pack, which incidentally always has a roll top waterproof liner.

Tents. And Tarptents.
If you are going to buy a tent, then seriously look at the range manufactured by Hilleberg. Top quality gear...my Akto is over 25 years old, well cared for, used on multiple expeditions and 40 day duration backpacking trips. Still like new. As you have said previously, the quality remains long after the price is forgotten, and I could sell it tomorrow for almost what I paid for it in 1998.
>>If you are going to buy a tent, then seriously look at the range manufactured by Hilleberg…

Ok, thanks for the tip. Do you have your tent with you on your current trip?
>> >>If you are going to buy a tent, then seriously look at the range manufactured
>> by Hilleberg…
>>
>> Ok, thanks for the tip. Do you have your tent with you on your current
>> trip?
>>
Yes. My Hilleberg Akto, Phd sleeping bag ( Hungarian goose down, great warmth to weight ratio) and my Exped Synmat Ultra. All 3 conducive to a good nights sleep, whether wild camping or on a site. Highly recommend all 3. I don’t believe in cheap unsuitable equipment which you need to upgrade after unsuccessful trips/expeditions.

Check out Benabarre….a multitude of MTB trails, with a large notice board in the cp showing distance, severity, etc etc. perfect for you. Great place for lunch whilst en route to Vielha..next stop 100kms due north.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 16 Sep 23 at 14:00
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - Bromptonaut
>> Ok so I guess this is a silly question, but I genuinely am puzzled by
>> people with motorhomes towing small cars. Surely they would be better having a large car
>> and towing a caravan? Or am I missing something?

No you miss nothing. Before we bought the 'van we thought about a campervan/motorhome thing.

Then we remembered camping with kids and one of us dipping out in the car to the Boulangerie with one/both kids for fresh bread, croissants etc. while the other got the table set up, coffee on the go etc.

Caravan it was.
.. I'm with Runfer as regards towing a car with a motorhome. A no-no for me (and I have a Smart I could tow). Flat towing is illegal in most of the EU anyway, so a trailer would be de -rigeur.

I think a factor in Germany is that there is a huge network of Stellplätze, simple to sophisticated spots in convenient locations that are designed for motorhomes but generally barred for caravans. Thus, touring with a motorhome (with towed car) is easier than car/caravan, and generally cheaper.

As regards motorhomes vs caravans, horses for courses. I couldn't stand a caravan; we tour with a few days at not at a location, and explore from the far South of Europe to the far North of Scandinavia. Locations are chosen for walking and cycling, with a bit of major sightseeing thrown in. Many/most cities are not a problem using public transport, which I would anyway.

It's suited us for over 30 years, and we're only likely to give up when the walking/cycling becomes too challenging (maybe not too far away. ;-) ).

(I might be tempted to carry a car if I had a big, f-off Morelo, though)
As mentioned elsewhere, retirement looms and I/we don’t want to waste it. Just don’t fancy a caravan or large motorhome really.
We are vaguely thinking of a day van type of thing though to extend our possibilities re our mountain biking obsession. The sort of thing you could use as a car when you were not on holiday but wouldn’t mind sleeping in for a night or two on a random basis backed up by a tent for longer trips.
Maybe.
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - Bobby
Roofbox tent thing with bikes on the back?
Seriously have heard horror stories of seriously expensive mountain bikes being stolen from roofs and backs of cars near to mountain biking areas.
Think there was a spate over near Pentlands or Peebles area?
You want a day van that you can lie in bed cuddled into your bikes!
>> As mentioned elsewhere, retirement looms and I/we don’t want to waste it. Just don’t fancy
>> a caravan or large motorhome really.

I've already said "horses for courses" upthread, so I'm not trying to make decisions for you...

...however :-) if you're serious about seeing a bit of Europe, carrying bikes, and having extended tours, I'd take a campervan over a tent any day.

I'm currently on a basic but attractive Stellplatz in a village in the middle of (German) nowhere with a fine view of the Alps. Very quiet with walks and cycle tracks in abundance. It's €10 per night, expensive for what it is except for the ambience. A German Wohnmobil just drove up, threw a wobbly at the cost, and drove off again.

I've told you before the best match for your professed future is,IMO, a 6m van conversion with it's own loo, and preferably a serviceable shower. Bikes locked on the rear. A day van is likely to be far too restrictive.

Most of Europe is then your (cheap) lobster.

A 6.4m van is somewhat more versatile, but 6m works for lengthy tours.

I've done tents, there's no comparison.
Ok, fair enough, I’ll have a look into your suggestions.
Thanks!
>with it's own loo, and preferably a serviceable shower...

It's not a bloomin loo he needs - it's medical facilities.
... you've got it in one.

It's one of those welfare vans contractors can hire that he needs...
Cheeky beggars! ;-)

>>(I might be tempted to carry a car if I had a big, f-off Morelo, though)

Westfield might be fun! Have I ever mentioned…?
....by coincidence, given Bobby's post above, just as we set out for a short walk, a Landrover with a roof tent pulled in.

I bet SWMBO it wouldn't be here when we came back - and it isn't.

Whether it was the €10 thing ('ow much?!), or more likely the fact that there are no facilities (apart from water and dump at the Feurwehr down the road) I don't know.

But that's the thing about having onboard facilities.
Hmmm been looking. Camper vans are quite a lot more expensive than tents aren’t they!
Not that it’s a surprise of course, but it is quite a commitment I suppose. I guess it’s about deciding how much use we’d get from one.
 Porsche - Saw my first 73 reg today - Bobby
Don’t think they lose much value though looking at second hand values!!
An old van that would be worth a grand seems to be 10 or 15 grand with a bed and sink attached!

>> I guess it’s about deciding how much use we’d get from one.
>>
>>

..indeed, but I thought you were set on making the best of your retirement before any more bits drop off. ;-)

Not cheap, and though they don't depreciate like cars, don't be persuaded they keep all their value (COVID has changed things through a combination of demand and low availability. but it won't last).

We have roughly 2 four-week sessions abroad each year, (could do longer except for family ties) and a lot of shorter sessions in the UK, with year round use. Around a third of the year is in the van.

A 6m van conversion is just about viable as a second vehicle (height barriers excepted) and get the right layout, quite versatile.

...but, it won't suit everyone, and I don't intend to bludgeon you into buying one. It's just that, given what you've expressed about your future desires, I'm concerned that a day van might not be the best/ultimate solution.

Cycling in particular is much better in France and Germany (and Scandinavia as well). I could see you enjoying the freedom. (We never book anywhere on the Continent).
>>don't intend to bludgeon you into buying one…

Not at all, any advice, opinions etc most welcome.

Thing is, my wife is 6 years younger than me and (says she) intends to continue working for now. She only does 3 days a week now and she gets holidays, so plenty of opportunities for mini-breaks, but our usage in the next few years is more likely to be shorter one or two night trips punctuated by one longer summer holiday. Hence the day van (or keep the estate car) but add tent theory.

Also, while we have plenty of parking available here and could easily accommodate multiple vehicles, I guess I was thinking that a Transit/Vito/Transporter sized thing could actually be a viable second car.

Oh I dunno, first world problems eh!
;-)
Latest Forum Posts