Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 24

Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - maltrap
I may have lost (still searching) the key/remote to my 2012 Polo.
Any idea how much a replacement will cost ?
Many Thanks
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - CGNorwich
About £250
A good description of what is involved.

www.ukcarlocksmith.co.uk/vw-key-replacement-cost/#:~:text=Normally%2C%20a%20VW%20key%20replacement,£%2C%20depending%20on%20your%20requirement.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Duncan
I had a key cut by an auto locksmiths in Kettering. Can't remember the name, but I paid around £50 IIRC.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - smokie
I wanted another spare for the Vx Ampera so I bought a blank key (of the correct type) on AliExpress for under a tenner IIRC, and had it cut by a local locksmith for not a lot - that worked OK. But the process I'd found to re-programme the key - and it was an official one I think - didn't work.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Bromptonaut
We need one for the Berlingo as Mrs B dropped hers down a grate in the road. Still got one 'plip' and a manual key though.

IIRC the dealer quoted around £90 to supply and programme a replacement.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Manatee
>> We need one for the Berlingo as Mrs B dropped hers down a grate in
>> the road. Still got one 'plip' and a manual key though.
>>
>> IIRC the dealer quoted around £90 to supply and programme a replacement.

Sounds good value. I lost one of the Mitsubishi keys in the house fire. Ordered replacement from dealer, over £400. Then discovered Aviva would not cover it under house contents. I still think they're wrong. Didn't try to claim on car insurance, excess would have wiped most if not all of it out anyway.
My first car was a Mini. I remember losing one of the keys. You could get spare BMC keys at the local petrol station. You simply needed the number conveniently stamped on the spare key
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - neiltoo
Timpsons (in many supermarkets) claim to do car keys. I haven't tried them, so I don't know if they do programmable keys.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 7 Sep 23 at 10:55
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - VxFan
I felt like my trousers were pulled down and was given a spanking at Timpsons recently.

Needed a spare Yale door key a couple of months ago. Local locksmith in town didn't have the correct blank, otherwise it would have been just under a fiver.

Timpsons charged me £9.80, and it wasn't even a genuine Yale blank. He already was half way through copying the existing key I gave him before telling me the price. Just shy of a tenner for less than a minutes work!!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Sep 23 at 11:39
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - martin aston
Timpson’s have an interesting business model for a chain. The operative has the authority to set their own prices according to the local market. In my local town they are efficient but not cheap.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Robin O'Reliant
>> My first car was a Mini. I remember losing one of the keys. You could
>> get spare BMC keys at the local petrol station. You simply needed the number conveniently
>> stamped on the spare key
>>

I had a Capri that could be opened by anything that would fit in the lock.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - tyrednemotional
Things have certainly changed.

Back in the days of the Falklands war a friend locked his keys in his car on a campsite I'm pretty sure it was a VW Scirocco. Only a small farm site with few cars. Only two other VWs, but the keys from one fitted.

Back in 86/87 I had an MG Montego, which was parked on the street near to work. Heavy snow during the day, and I set off home, opened the car door with my key (c/l but no remote) and settled into the driver's seat, immediately noticing that, though it was a Montego it lacked the *special" MG interior. Climbed out, nonchalantly locked it, and moved to my car one along. Very little noticeable difference under a heavy coat of snow. ;-)
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Bromptonaut
>> Back in 86/87 I had an MG Montego, which was parked on the street near
>> to work. Heavy snow during the day, and I set off home, opened the car
>> door with my key (c/l but no remote) and settled into the driver's seat, immediately
>> noticing that, though it was a Montego it lacked the *special" MG interior. Climbed out,
>> nonchalantly locked it, and moved to my car one along. Very little noticeable difference under
>> a heavy coat of snow. ;-)

My Mother did much the same 30 or so years before.

She and Dad were on holiday parked while each ran separate errands. Mum returns to the black Austin A30 and sits in the passenger seat waiting Dad's return.

Been there a few minutes cussing her husband's slowness when she realised the maps on the dash were not theirs.

Made a rapid exit and found Dad in their A30 three cars further up the road....
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - VxFan
>> I had a Capri that could be opened by anything that would fit in the lock.

IIRC, those era of Ford cars, there were only 4 different key patterns. Or was it Austin?

Anyway, chances are a key from a tin of spam, or anything made by Fray Bentos that had a key would also open them.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Bobby
Son has a 2016 Polo gti.
The actual key snapped off his fob. Apparently a common happening with these keys.
He still has the second key so is using that.
I bought a blank key from Amazon for a tenner and watched a YouTube video that shows how to remove the remote functional parts and move over. But before I attempt that I have told him he needs to get the key cut on it before I attempt the next bit.
He still hasn’t bothered his backside so I ain’t either!
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - smokie
On daughter's old Kai Ceed her key was cracked where it meets the plastic bit. Caused the immobiliser to not disarm, so it wouldn't start the car. ISTR them saying there was a fine wire went down the blade which the ignition read.

"He still hasn't bothered his backside so I ain't either!"

The flaw with this is when it becomes a problem for him, it still becomes a problem for you too!!
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - Bobby
Yeah Smokie, that’s the reality ain’t it!
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - carmalade
Get it done at Vw dealer . Expensive, but at least you know it will work . A friend tried to copy a key to his Audi , ended up costing nearly £2.5 k as he had corrupted some of the electronic modules.
Found them ! What a relief. VW wanted £325,Duplicut £100.
Thanks for all the advice.
If you have an Apple phone could be a good idea to buy an Apple AirTag key ring.
I don't have a smartphone.
Since this near miss i have considered any gadget or device that would help me find lost keys.
Does anyone have recommendations ?
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - zippy
>>Does anyone have recommendations ?

Remember those key finders that beeped when you whistled - a real throwback to the '90s

www.amazon.co.uk/Thumbs-Up-WHIKEY-thumbsUp-Whistle/dp/B004R6Z0YE
 Volkswagen Polo V - Replacement key - bathtub tom
>> Remember those key finders that beeped when you whistled - a real throwback to the
>> '90s
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Thumbs-Up-WHIKEY-thumbsUp-Whistle/dp/B004R6Z0YE

They were absolutely useless. Put one on your keyring and it would go off at any high frequency sound - like keys jangling together!

The only use I found for them, was when I left a job that had a compulsive whistler. I left a few hidden around on my last day. I wasn't too popular, apparently!
A smart phone?
Latest Forum Posts