Motoring Discussion > Diesel prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Diesel prices - legacylad
Still considerably cheaper in Spain than petrol…filled up the diesel Jeep yesterday @ €1.337 litre, with Revolut exchange rate that’s about £1.15.

No wonder that 3 of my walking friends who reside in Spain have all bought new diesel cars in the past 3 months. 2 have bought Dusters. I was told that the 3rd gen Duster will not be available diesel powered.

When I mentioned EVs they laughed…one of my pals works for a hire car company (SixT) here in Spain. Due to increasing insurance and repair costs they are dumping them asap.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 12 Dec 23 at 09:21
 Diesel prices - Runfer D'Hills
Yes, it’s still quite compelling for us to have one diesel on the drive even now. We will still be doing a fairly high annual mileage even in retirement, some/much of which will be in Europe so the cost/convenience of a diesel still stacks up for us.
Also having a smaller petrol car for more local use balances the equation for us. In due course, if it makes sense to us, we might, or might have to replace that with a hybrid or EV, but for now, it feels like the right combination for our needs.
 Diesel prices - Boxsterboy
Wow, that is cheap. Just back from Germany and on the (Dutch) motorway we paid over E2.00 for unleaded.
 Diesel prices - Runfer D'Hills
It was between €1.85 and €2.10 a litre for unleaded in France this summer depending on where we bought it. Fortunately, the little 1.4 petrol Jeep we took (because the Merc was temporarily poorly) is quite good on mpg but even so, it felt a bit dear.
 Diesel prices - Duncan
Just had a look on petrolprices.com. They say the cheapest unleaded near me is Sainsbury's at Cobham 141,9p, whilst the services on the M25 at Downside is 175.9p. Quite some difference.
 Diesel prices - James Loveless
Vehicle fuel has been slowly, grudgingly reducing for a while now.

Round here (W.Herts) a lot of places are currently charging 137.9/litre for unleaded.
 Diesel prices - legacylad
Diesel up in price today…€1.377.
Petrol (95 octane) unchanged at €1.499
 Diesel Prices - Fullchat
BP have announced they are suspending usage of the Suez Canal due attacks on cargo ships by Houthi militants. Standby for the downward trend to be reversed.
 Diesel Prices - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I had exactly that convo a couple of hours ago. If the idea that there might be a supply hiatus takes hold will there be panic buying?

My car was on around 1/3 and indicated range of 180. We shouldn't go any distance this side of Christmas but then I could have to cover an outreach at the other end of the County if colleague were ill or whatever. Filled it while at Morrisons for other stuff 'just in case'.

As we're away with the Caravan for Xmas at a distance we'd struggle with on a single tank and towing we might be at 'squeaky bum time'.....

Of course it's not just fuel. Containers of goodness knows what are also not routing Red Sea.
 Diesel Prices - CGNorwich
The Pentagon is expected to announce tomorrow the formation of Operation Prosperity Guardian, a new task force to protect shipping from Houthi attacks in the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait and Red Sea
 Diesel Prices - CGNorwich
An Israel-linked hacking group has taken responsibility for a cyberattack that took 70% of Iran's gas stations offline.

This looks like Israel's response to the Houthi attacks on maritime traffic in the Red Sea.

The potential for escalation is growing.
 Diesel Prices - tyrednemotional
>> If the idea that there might be a supply hiatus takes hold will there be panic buying?
>>.....
>> Filled it while at Morrisons for other stuff 'just in case'.
>>

...I think you answered your own question....
 Diesel Prices - legacylad
Almost emptied the tank today in my diesel Jeep Renegade in very sunny Espana. Jeez I hope there’s not panic buying when I go to fill up early tomorrow AM…got an appointment up a mountain.

Not with Moses :-)
 Diesel Prices - tyrednemotional
....s'aright. I don't think "Thou shalt not panic-buy fuel" was one of his...
Running on less than quarter tank so filled up this AM en route to the hills. Diesel still €1.376. Plenoil self serve in Moraira only had one old boy filling his scooter…no sign of panic buying !
I’ll work out the mpg later…hazard a guess around 55mpg with the Jeep Renegade diesel.
 Diesel Prices - Fullchat
Not too shabby.
Mrs B filled the 'lingo with diesel at Sainsburys c15:30 and said it was way busier than she'd expected.
Done the sums and last tankful was 50.05mpg….quite disappointing I think. Only been on motorway to my resort, gentle pootling around to the start of walks and mostly single occupant.
No long mountain road trips…got lifts for those.

Makes me wonder if it was brim fulled on collection…fuel gauge showed it was.
 Diesel Prices - Duncan
Filled up my hybrid Yaris today 139.9p/l. Consumption worked out at exactly 50.0 mpg. I thought I would top up before the rush with the tankers being held up and also I have got to drive to the frozen North over Crimbo.

Q. Are the tankers diverting round Africa yet?
>> Q. Are the tankers diverting round Africa yet?

That seems to be the implication of media reports that BP and other operators, though not just tankers, will not go through the Straits at the east of the Red Sea.
Latest Forum Posts