Motoring Discussion > Christmas motoring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 4

Christmas motoring - bathtub tom
Invited to our daughter's at Epsom for Christmas. Initially, we intended to go by train, but after the chaos on the railways over the previous few days, decided to drive.

Set off just after lunch on Christmas eve and despite motorway limits on the M1 from j13-J10, everything kept moving. There were no delays on the M25 around M4-M40-Heathrow (for the first time I can remember) and I can't recall seeing any LGVs. Went on past Wisley and found our way from the next exit. One of the quickest journeys I've made down there!

Returning on the 27th (colleague's funeral), took an hour to reach the M25. Three hours on the M25-M1 which I abandodned at J9 and found our way via Luton and A6. Kept looking for other routes, but they were all showing longer times. Missed the funeral! Heard later that there were no East Midland trains and Thameslink delays, due to overrunning engineering works, so may still have been the fastest option - Four hours to do eighty miles!
 Christmas motoring - Boxsterboy
>> Four hours to
>> do eighty miles!
>>

I read somewhere over the Christmas break that the government's plan to deal with overcrowding on the trains following cancellation of HS2 and the extra capacity that would have brought, is to increase train fares to 'manage' demand and push people onto the roads. Which aren't overcrowded at all(!) and which won't exactly help us to meet net zero by 2050!
 Christmas motoring - Terry
HS2 would have had zero impact on road congestion and rail capacity for 6-10 years as the first stage to Birmingham was schedule between 2029-2033.

It may have had a negative impact in the shorter term as it drained cash which may otherwise (no guarantees) have been used for either road or rail improvements.

Note that rail capacity is not just about building more lines - it can be achieved in other ways - signalling improvements, longer platforms, scheduling changes, better rolling stock, track layout etc etc.
 Christmas motoring - Bromptonaut
>> Note that rail capacity is not just about building more lines - it can be
>> achieved in other ways - signalling improvements, longer platforms, scheduling changes, better rolling stock, track
>> layout etc etc.

That's pretty much all been done. There's very little more that can be sweated from current assets or what's possible with track etc. As was found in at the turn of the the 20th/21st centuries on the West Coast line it's impossible to do major work while keeping everything running.

The current line northwards of Birmingham is literally full. HMG have cancelled HS2 and haven't the foggiest as to how, other than going back to the eighties and pricing traffic off, they'll tackle that.
 Christmas motoring - sooty123
I quick look tells anyone that you can only extend platforms so far. Although it's now so downgraded it'll be a bit of a damp squib.

Although some people are dead set against high speed rail as a general principle.
Latest Forum Posts