Motoring Discussion > MoT early Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 6

MoT early - Rudedog
Hopefully a simple one but wanted it confirmed here.

My MoT ends on the 29/03 each year and I renew it a month early while the GTI is having it's yearly service.

This year is a leap year so if my dealer has an appointment on the 29/02 would that be ok to maintain the original MoT date?

Or just play it safe and do it for the 01/03?
 MoT early - Bromptonaut
Gov website says a month minus 1 day and quotes as an example:

If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
 MoT early - Oldgit
>> Gov website says a month minus 1 day and quotes as an example:
>>
>> If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT
>> to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

>>
Surely that only applies if you want to keep that same date every year. I'm sure one can have an MOT any time but the date will then be 12 months from that test date. I believe that is what you said above though. My road tax expires on the 30th June each year so I have my MOT done as soon as June arrives. Quite simple to remember even for a very old git, I would have thought.
 MoT early - Bromptonaut
>> Surely that only applies if you want to keep that same date every year.

My understanding of the OP was that the MoT expires on 29 March. To retain that date the car has to be tested on or after 01 March and not on 29 Feb which occurs this year as we're in a leap year.
 MoT early - Terry
Something doesn't stack up. Placing the MoT on a fixed date means it may even fall on a Sunday when the garage is likely closed.
 MoT early - Bromptonaut
>> Something doesn't stack up. Placing the MoT on a fixed date means it may even
>> fall on a Sunday when the garage is likely closed.

And?

If you really NEED an MoT on a Sunday you can probably find some place that will do it....
 MoT early - Bobby
Or get it done in the 30 days before hand?
Latest Forum Posts