Motoring Discussion > Potholes. Surrey tops the list. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - henry k
Surrey named pothole capital of the UK

www.which.co.uk/news/2010/03/surrey-named-pothole-capital-of-the-uk-205773
These are reported potholes.
I have reported some of the worst and could easily report 100 pot holes within a mile of me It really is getting quite dangerous as cars are regularly swerving to miss the craters.
There are also many roads where patches of road surface has been eroded and the concrete joints exposed.
I was told they have 10,000 in Surrey to sort out. About 15% of the patches fail but I can accept this as the need to have a quick fix is more important.
Meanwhile they have been out with the white paint marking cycle lanes on roads where I never see cyclists.
Ho hum!
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - L'escargot
It's not specific as to how the data was collected. Perhaps Surrey residents would more readily report road defects.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Badwolf
>> Surrey named pothole capital of the UK

Blimey, I think they've got the results wrong there. I'm seriously thinking of contacting NASA to see if they've got any spare moon buggies knocking about that I could borrow. The roads in Southport are nothing short of a disgrace. The roads around here are under the 'care' of Sefton Council who are either unable or unwilling to rememdy the situation. However, a five minute drive from my house takes me over the border into West Lancashire were, by and large, potholes are filled fairly promptly.

I do think that somebody (not me, I'm far too laid back) needs to 'do a Wolfie' and mount an uprising. As it were. If there was a mass witholding of part of our Council Tax in protest then the Councils would have to do something. I don't think that they'd be able to prosecute everybody at once and this may finally get the message across that we're, by and large, sick and tired of having money taken off us at seemingly every turn with very little visible return. Of course, we'd all pay the witheld amount as soon as the Council undertook to remedy things...
Last edited by: Badwolf {P} on Thu 11 Mar 10 at 10:19
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Boxsterboy
I reported some really bad and dangerous potholes to Surrey CC on their online report form. The road in question is so bad that you literally have to stop, wait until it is clear in the other direction and drive on the wrong side of the road. Nothing had been done after over a week, so I phoned them. Mysteriously they had no record of my online report, so I told them the road in question.

"Oh yes, we know about that, it's on our list" Another week later and still nothing has been done.

I am wondering whether I should buy a new wheel (to replace one SWMBO scraped against a kerb some moons back) and send them the bill? Maybe hitting them in their pocket might have some affect?

The people I feel sorriest for are bikers on unfamiliar roads in the dark. Potholes for them are lethal.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Zero
> Maybe hitting them in their pocket might have some affect?

No - dont do that, its my council tax your are increasing.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Boxsterboy
And mine - but at least I get something out of it. Tell you what, you do the same and we'll call it fair?
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Zero
Only if I can find some way of blaming the dent in the rear bumper of the clio on a pothole.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Bill Payer
This really does work against those who have followed the trend of the last few years and ordered their car with big alloys and super-low profile tyres.

I noticed a special edition Ford Focus in the paper the other day with 18" alloys - ridiculous.

I bet the Range Rover driver that I held up for some distance while driving across Bucks the other day at about 20MPH was cursing me!
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - Servelan
I am sure they are not the worst pot holes in Surrey, but the state of A25 / A24 junction at Dorking roundabout means you need to drive like you are in a slalon to get round them. It's okay if you know they are there, but in the dark to anyone unaware, particularly for those on a bike, it could be dangerous as well as uncomfortable. Shamefully I have not reported them, but a sign has finally appeared warning of resurfacing work starting soon. It has taken weeks though.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - bathtub tom
I reported a patch of potholes outside my house in January. After a while they were highlighted with white paint - that soon wore off.

Last week some of them were roughly filled, curiously leaving one of the worst. Yesterday another crew turned up to make permanent repairs of the previous temporary jobs completed only four days previously!

I can't understand how potholes that are deemed not serious enough to be repaired for two months need temporary repairs replacing within a week.

I'm furious it's my taxes that are paying for a job to be done twice and am losing sympathy for council staff that are in imminent danger of redundancy.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - L'escargot
Trust affluent Surrey residents to be more picky than those in poorer areas.
;-)
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - bhoywonder
Come to Glasgow and see a pothole every 10 yards.
 Potholes. Surrey tops the list. - henry k
There has been a vast improvement to the road state on a minor bus route in my area of Elmbridge Surrey.
Over a stretch of half a mile plus a proper job has been done.
Lots of quite large sections of road surface along the route has cut out and good Tarmac rolled in. I am very impressed at this change of approach.
Long may it continue.
Latest Forum Posts