Motoring Discussion > Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? Legal Questions
Thread Author: NeilS Replies: 17

Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - NeilS
No excuses just enjoying the drive up to Caen and failed to register the warning sign and to slow down quickly enough as I approached a village outskirts - I think I was doing a smidge over 80kph on the car's speedo in a 70 kph limit. I've been told that the UK and French authorities now exchange info so I'm expecting some paperwork and a nice piccie of the car with me and SWMBO inside.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Zero
I've been told that the UK and French authorities now exchange info so
>> I'm expecting some paperwork and a nice piccie of the car with me and SWMBO
>> inside.

Not yet they dont, you are safe.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Perky Penguin
I got flashed in Germany last year but I was in a hire car so they obviously got my details thru Hertz. I asked for a translation of the impenetrable german legalese and got it and paid 90 Euros. BTW - the photo was almost good enough to have been used for my passport! I think that, on the scenario you describe, Zero is correct and you will be OK. Please kepp us posted - a lot of us go to France!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 09:23
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - lancara
Hope the Spanish and French authorities aren't exchanging info either!
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - NeilS
Cheers Zero and PP that's good to know. If anything comes of it I'll be back with an update.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Mike Hannon
Standard penalty is 135 euros, reduced to 90 if paid within 15 days.
Up to 20kph above legal limit, one point deducted from the 12 which come with every French licence; over 20kph above, three points deducted. (It's the British system in reverse).
Lucky you! Forget it...
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Bellboy
we have this problem in our village in littleole england
obviously its impossible to see you are approaching a village because theres lots of houses suddenly spring up in the way
we now have a 20mph speed limit because of a few
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Iffy
...we have this problem in our village in littleole england...

The trial of the postmaster has been put back until next March.

Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Bellboy
The trial of the postmaster has been put back until next March.
>
>>>>
why though?
we all know he dunit
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Iffy
..why though? we all know he dunit...

More forensic tests needed on an iron bar, as far as I can gather.

Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Soupytwist
I was flashed by a speed camera in France in early August. I've yet to hear anything from across the channel.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - lancara
On a vaguely related topic - on leaving Calais last week and heading for Rouen, was surprised when a man in black appeared from behind the ticket machine at the first toll booth, which is approx. 20 km down. It was a customs man! "You live in Spain, you've been in UK, do you have anything to declare to French customs". Most odd.
The Douaniers do the same thing to UK registered cars heading up from Spain through France. Locals say they are not friendly so you wouldn't dare tell them to mind their own business.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Bagpuss
>> The Douaniers do the same thing to UK registered cars heading up from Spain through France.

A good few years ago I got stopped by Dutch customs about 45 minutes after leaving the ferry at Rotterdam. I'd got on to the motorway, driven about 20km, left at the wrong exit and got lost. Just as I was about to rejoin the motorway they pulled me over. They went through my car with a fine tooth comb and were visibly disappointed not to find anything, not even duty free. I guess they'd followed me all the way from the ferry port so it was a bit of a wasted half a day for them.

My car at the time was a fairly battered old UK registered Peugeot 305 and I was a single male in my late 20s, so probably fitted the target group to be "pulled" perfectly.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - Zero
>> On a vaguely related topic - on leaving Calais last week and heading for Rouen,
>> was surprised when a man in black appeared from behind the ticket machine at the
>> first toll booth, which is approx. 20 km down. It was a customs man! "You
>> live in Spain, you've been in UK, do you have anything to declare to French
>> customs". Most odd.

Well I do declare, I just love your uniform.
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - hobby
:-)
Just seen a piece in the French press - the EU plans to act to make fines and points applicable across borders. Legislation expected by the end of 2013...
 Flashed in France - any idea what penalty will be? - R.P.
Dank their eyes !
Latest Forum Posts