Motoring Discussion > Diesel owners - ever had to replace an exhaust ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 24

Diesel owners - ever had to replace an exhaust ? - diddy1234
I was chatting with a mate earlier on and he mentioned needing to replace the exhaust on his petrol car.
This got me thinking, I have never heard a Diesel car's exhaust blowing.

As a matter of fact I have never heard of a diesel owner having to replace an exhaust.

So my question is, Are there any diesel owners who have had to replace an exhaust system on their cars ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 13:23
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Zero
None that I know either. They dont rot from the inside as there is no acid water in there you get from a petrol car.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Perky Penguin
Probably only the wildly expensive DPF bit of them - they don't seem to rust/rot. Is the residue from diesel combustion less damaging than that from petrol, as Zero has pointed out?
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - -
The welds seem to be the weak point, probably from salt corrosion outside.

Had to replace the back box on my E300 MB at 10ish years, and main section on my Landcruiser at 7ish...that was expensive being a genuine part only on a rare model.

Toyota's exhausts don't seem very good rust wise at least on the 4x4's (i don't know if the cars are better, Madf will know) , i paint the pick up's every year, it looked years old with severe rust coating after just i winter.
No doubt it's break at some point as the corrosion will still be happening albeit slowed up by the paint seal, Stainless system will be going on then.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - PhilW
Yes, several. Mind you, we keep our cars a long time (170k,140k, 110k, and a current one at 110k and all more than 10 years old) In each case except the last the exhaust "went" at the junction/joint of pipe and the back silencer box, so just back box replaced, not downpipe (?) or middle box. (All cars were Cits - 2 BXs and 2 Xantias. Latest one "went" when wife went over an unmarked speed bump in the dark at less than 30mph and the catalytic converter caught on it and broke the downpipe so that and cat were replaced.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Bromptonaut
Similar fleet to PhilW and much the same experience. Xantia and Berlingo have both been 'sleeved' to avoid need to replace cat when main pipe has split.

Both have however had rear box fail. The 'lingo's rusted from outside. The one on the Xantia had originally been fitted in France when the OEM box suffeerd what looked like a fatigue break on the mounting lip and the inlet end. Possibly a cheap pattern part though the garage fitting it seemed kosher.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Bellboy
they are better but do rust so yes ive replaced many
funny how you say diesel and prices go up at the factors though
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Skoda
1997 1.9D Peugeot 306, had to replace the front section inc. cat.

Pulled by the rozzers at the Gallowgate when it was starting to blow, bloke was looking under my car with a wee torch, couldn't see anything and said "noisy tappets".

I had already booked it in, when i took it along 2 days later, accelerating onto the Mway would have wakened the dead!
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - madf
>>
>> So my question is, Are there any diesel owners who have had to replace an
>> exhaust system on their cars ?
>>

Of course.

Our Peugeot 106 diesel 1993 had a new mid section and a new front down pipe.. after 13 years.. When it was demolished in October by another car :-(, the back box was original although the skin near the hangar was rather manky..

My Yaris diesel 2003 - has a one peice system which is as new... thanks to application of heat proof paint very two years...
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - bathtub tom
Maestro diesel back box. Rather annoyingly, the tail pipe fell apart. The box was fine and I reckon it was due to the back wheel throwing muck directly at it. I liberally coated the affected area with cheap paint. The rest of the exhaust was original when I got rid when it was about ten years old.

The floor was rusting out by then!
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - RichardW
Plenty... they're not as noisy as petrols when they go (at least on TD cars anyway!) which is why you don't notice as much perhaps.

Current Picasso had a new exhahust before we got it at 6 years / 45k. Xantia had a new back box last year (at about 80k perhaps) and I had to repair the main pipe this summer after the cat outlet-to-pipe weld failed. Interested to see that the pipe is stainless, but welded with mild steel wire so the weld had wasted. The pipe was quite thin, and had to patched at the bottom both front and back of the cat. This is a one piece pipe from engine to back box and is fearsomely expensive to replace - >£1000 at the dealer and c£400 aftermarket..worth spending a bit of time welding it - although when I was thinking I might have to take the engine out to remove the cut off end of a bolt on the turbo, it seemed otherwise....!
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - hawkeye
>> So my question is, Are there any diesel owners who have had to replace an
>> exhaust system on their cars ?
>>

Yes, just done the mid section on the C3 at 81K miles. Annoyingly it blew a hole on the outside of a bend in the pipe i.e. under pressure from Mrs H's leaden foot, the exhaust gases wanted to go straight on, not turn the corner. Rest of the pipe looked showroom-fresh.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - L'escargot
There's a critical temperature at which exhausts corrode fastest. For petrol cars the critical point is usually somewhere approaching the exhaust outlet. Perhaps the temperature of diesel exhausts is above the critical temperature for the whole of the length of the exhaust.

Incidentally, many years ago I had a car which corroded right at the outlet of the exhaust. The end of the tailpipe gradually just dropped off in little pieces.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - madf
What about water vapour?

I recall exhausts coprroding in sections where wtare condensed or in the bottom end of boxes where water collects..

Frequent wetting is a sure fire way to encourage corrosion...
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Old Navy
>> There's a critical temperature at which exhausts corrode fastest. For petrol cars the critical point
>> is usually somewhere approaching the exhaust outlet. Perhaps the temperature of diesel exhausts is above
>> the critical temperature for the whole of the length of the exhaust.
>>

Diesel exhaust is cooler than petrol, the turbo's run cooler on diesels too.

In 20odd years of diesel driving I have only had to replace one back box, (failed weld), on a SEAT Cordoba estate. All my cars are run to about 100,000 miles.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Bagpuss
Years ago a mate of mine had a diesel Ford Orion (1.6D), one of the slowest and most horrible cars I have ever driven. It was very economical but the parts were always more expensive than for the equivalent petrol engined model.

Anyway the exhaust rusted through and a new one was around 4 times the price of a 1.6 petrol. Whilst replacing the exhaust he discovered the exhaust manifold also had a hole in it. The exhaust manifolds on this model were a specially manufactured 4-2-1 type in a desperate attempt to squeeze a crucial extra bhp or so out of the wheezing CVH lump. Huge amounts for a new one and any savings against running a petrol model well and truly up in smoke.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - hobby
In answer to the OP, no I haven't!
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Runfer D'Hills
I've not replaced an exhaust on any car, diesel or petrol, in more than 30 years. Many of them have been run to well over 100k, some a lot more than that. Mostly long runs though. That must be a factor.
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - Iffy
Humph,

What's playing in the background this morning?

Curved Air, Joni Mitchell, or maybe some Neil Young?

Heh heh ! ....www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW27kzHiWM4
I prefer my Weller with a bit of go in it - Style Council or Jam.

Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - R.P.
Show off !
 Diesel owners - ever had to replace exhaust ? - R.P.
How did that happen ?
Frightened the life out of me.
Latest Forum Posts