Motoring Discussion > Pressure washer snake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 24

Pressure washer snake - Tooslow
Is it only me who has trouble with the high pressure hose on a pressure washer or do you too? What with it being a bit rigid to begin with, throw in the cold and the kinks from wrapping it round the machine and its worse than wresting a python (I guess).

Then there's the hose feed and the electricity cable. One of these days SWMBO is going to wonder where I've got to and find me tied up on the drive.

John
 Pressure washer snake - Bellboy
sick of the water pipe blowing off my pressure washer
the lance developing a leak
the noise
and of course it dam well hurts if you put your hand in front of the spray (dont ask)
so
i now have an extra large width hose pipe connected up at work with an old fashioned twist type end on it rather than those leaky flashy chinese carp rotating heads and you know what?the power from the mains turned up full nearly pulls the hose out of your hand
so its back to basics for me and im soo happy
 Pressure washer snake - Stuu
The Karcher one does that on the short hose that comes with it, but the extended 5M hose seems to be made of something more felxible and doesnt do it anywhere near as much.

Of course, the pros automatically twirl it as they go which keeps it straight. Something you learn quickly using a lance day in, day out.
 Pressure washer snake - -
I've almost given up with them as well, only really use for after winter thorough cleaning.

Instead we bought a 25 metre roll of half inch clear low pressure air line, rated for 120psi or so, lasts for years and is just about perfect flexibility to be usable, windable and will not kink, cost about twice the price of ordinary hose pipe but pays for itself times over.

Luckily we have good mains pressure here, i could p faster at my previous address.
 Pressure washer snake - R.P.
My elderly Kraecher (German made) still works well - snaky cables and hoses though. Have considered a re-chargable power washer that a biker mate uses...
 Pressure washer snake - Old Navy
Old sailors advice on coiling ropes, electric string, and hoses.

Always make sure that the far end is free to rotate, hold the end to be coiled in one hand, as you coil twist the rope/wire/hose with the other hand to form a loop. repeat until you have a neat coil. The same applies if you are coiling a hose onto the ground, twist the hose to form a neat coil.

Do NOT use a reel.
 Pressure washer snake - -
>> Old sailors advice on coiling ropes, electric string, and hoses.

Old truckers, glad i spelt that right, coil ropes differently forming loops roughly 4ft in circumference loosely coiled so the rope unfurles when you throw it over the top of a high load, still got the evidence of splits on my fingers to prove it too from many years ago...causes havoc with stockings, oo-er missus.

I do use a reel for my washer hose, a free spooling ground standing jobbie, what's wrong with a good reel Navy.
The coil size is optional, GB. The same principals apply though. The problem with a reel is that it retains twists in the hose/wire/rope, unlike coiling, which if done correctly takes them out, (the rotating free end).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 21:35
 Pressure washer snake - Cliff Pope
I appreciate the point about coiling, but the trouble with most hoses is that neither end is free to rotate unless it has one of those fancy rotating connections.
When you are blasting away with the washer and pull on the hose to get some more off the coil, the last thing you want is to be trying to rotate the gun at the same time, so you end up with a kink. Then when you move round the end of the car the kink jams under a wheel.

I find the best plan is to lay the whole length out straight to the furthest point of washing before turning on, then work backwards, leaving the hose as a large loop. Then when finished unscrew the hose from the machine and coil it separately. The problems arise with trying to coil it round the machine and then stick the lance in the carrying slot without it uncoiling again.
Misguided move number 2 is to try to hold it all together by coiling the electric cable round it too.
 Pressure washer snake - Stuu
It is definately easier with a longer hose, the short ones are irritating. Holding the lance with two hands, spin the handle end with one hand, usually no more than three times and it removes all kinks pretty easy. Ive not come across a pressure washer hose that doesnt coil up to some degree. Maybe if you do it everyday, you do it without thinking.

I find I get more annoying kinks with the garden hose I use to get water to the washer, heavy duty hose better in that respect.
www.mobiwasher.co.uk/

These are the re-chargeable pressure washers I mentioned (which takes the electricity cable out of the equation)

I reckon that tangled cables are a fact of life for the left handed minority who live in a right handed world.
I reckon that tangled cables are a fact of life for the left handed minority who live in a right handed world.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>interesting
i is that man :-(
And me. Some kind friends re-arranged my kitchen when my wife died - the kettle was moved across the room - only then did I realise that it was now set up for right hand drive !
 Pressure washer snake - R40
>> "I reckon that tangled cables are a fact of life for the left handed minority
>> who live in a right handed world."

never a truer word said.....................give me a cable and I can give back spaghetti in moments; not deliberately and definitely unknowing lol
>> I appreciate the point about coiling, but the trouble with most hoses is that neither
>> end is free to rotate unless it has one of those fancy rotating connections.
>>

If you coil the hose in an untwisted state after each use, (disconnect from the washer and coil from the lance end), at least you will start without twists. Your method of laying out the hose before use is as good as it gets. :-)
 Pressure washer snake - Runfer D'Hills
I write with my right hand but kick a ball with my left foot. Although I can reverse both of those activities if I think about it but in preference right hand / left foot.

Which hand are you holding the fag in right now ?
Har de ruddy har ! I had managed to not think about that subject for an hour or two...Thanks very blinkin' much PU !!

Tetchy...Moi ?

:-(
>> Tetchy...Moi ?
>>
>> :-(
>>

You will be fine, Humph. The first year off the fags is the worst.
Year!!??
i would have said year 3 but its only this last few years the total withdrawal symptoms finally left me
 Pressure washer snake - bathtub tom
I gave up ten years ago, but can still appreciate a little second-hand smoke.
 Pressure washer snake - bathtub tom
When coiling items I double it (if possible). That is bring the far end to the source and then wind it, that way the twists cancel out.

We had a vacuum cleaner that had a couple of pins to wind the lead round. The top one had a quick release catch. It took me years and a couple of new power cables before I convinced SWMBO to wind it in a figure of eight.
 Pressure washer snake - Avant
I've never been tempted by a pressure washer, and certainly not now I've read this thread! Good old Flexy hose-fed brush for me.
>> Good old Flexy hose-fed brush for me.
>>

Where do you get your non twisting hose from?

Or are you a closet coiler? :-)

Latest Forum Posts