Motoring Discussion > Gran Turismo 5 Legal Questions
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 30

Gran Turismo 5 - Skoda
The long awaited motoring games title for the PS3, Gran Turismo 5, is now on the shelves.

Wow, this is light years ahead of Gran Turismo 2 (which i remember was ace) on the PS1 when i was in high school.

Lots of gimmicks too, hook up your PS3 Eye Toy (a webcam) and it tracks your head movement to move the drivers head for a look around. Native 1080p HD, there's 3D support in there too.

Seems pretty good so far, graphics are very good but not benchmark setting. The sounds are though. They're very very good, engine noise is well done, clever.

Just bagged a 1:41.562 on the first ~1/5th of the Nurburgring Nordschleife in a '54 Merc 300SL Coupe. There is no way i would drive a car at even half that speed in real life on that section of track with those tyres.

Had a shot on the Top Gear test track, finally the laps make sense, they never show you everything strung together. It's a big figure of 8 more or less.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Alastairw
Bottoms.

Might have to invest in a PS3 now....
 Gran Turismo 5 - RattleandSmoke
I may buy a PS3 too, I can't be bothered upgrading my PC anymore so it will make sense to have a PS3. I have a 22" LG 1080P TV too so it will be nice to get some proper use to that. Oh if thats not enough it could plugged into my amp.

I actually have enough cash in my bedroom to buy one tomorrow, but I think putting it in the bank towards my tax bill will be a better use of it sadly.
 Gran Turismo 5 - BiggerBadderDave
Got my 30 year old Atari console out last weekend and had a game of Space Invaders.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
...Bottoms....Might have to invest in a PS3 now....

I used to like Project Gotham Racing on the old X Box and I wonder sometimes about buying a current console.

Not enough of us have tried Gran Turismo 5 to comment, so perhaps the OP won't mind if we widen the thread a little bit.

What is the best games console and driving game combination?

Gran Turismo 5 - DP
I had it on pre-order, but eventually became frustrated with the delays and cancelled it.

I have, however, put it on my chrimbo list. :-)

Can anyone tell me how it compares to Gran Turismo: Prologue on the PS3? Obviously it's a lot bigger, but how do the physics and graphics compare?

Best console / game combo for me so far is Forza 2 and XBox 360. But obviously I haven't yet tried GT5 (and my 360 died before I got chance to play Forza 3).

The original Gran Turismo on the PS1 was groundbreaking.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
>> (and my 360 died

Wow thats not common is it.

< note the heavy sarcasm >
 Gran Turismo 5 - DP
>> Wow thats not common is it.
>>
>> < note the heavy sarcasm >

lol. I got 2.5 yrs out of it, which from my admittedly unscientific research, is about normal.

The new slimline 360 is a total redesign, which it needed to be as the original 360 had a catalogue of issues, mostly relating to poor soldering, and woefully inadequate (and infuriatingly noisy) cooling.

My cousin worked in Game while doing A-levels and reckoned their store had a 35% return rate on the 360 in the first 12 months, against less than 2% on the PS3. I took this with a pinch of salt, until I found similar claims online from various other retailers.

In terms of capability, they are much of a muchness, and as you say Zero, the games are a much bigger differentiator than the hardware spec.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Focusless
>> Might have to invest in a PS3 now....

One version being advertised in this morning's Metro for under £200. Tempting...
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
...One version being advertised in this morning's Metro for under £200. Tempting...

Agreed.

Which brings in another point.

No longer is it possible to decide simply between PS3 and X-Box, it then comes down to versions.

I've had a quick look at what's on offer and have been left confused.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
which is the whole point.

Thee is little to choose between Xbox and PS3 in terms of money/hardware

its the software. you dont buy a box for what it is, you buy it for what you want to play on it.

which is why the wii does so well, family interactive games.
>> One version being advertised in this morning's Metro for under £200. Tempting...

Found it - Sainsburys doing 160Gb PS3 for £199.99.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
...Found it - Sainsburys doing 160Gb PS3 for £199.99...

So that machine should do the job for a sad lonely person who just wants to race around a track or shoot a few baddies?

I think I may be that person.

Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
you will need a steering wheel.

but if you have no blue ray player, the PS3 slim makes sense
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
....you will need a steering wheel...

I had one of those with the X-Box and couldn't get on with it.

I'm not a DVD film watcher, but do I take it this £199 PS3 is not a blu-ray player?

Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
thats the joy, it is also a blue ray player.
 Gran Turismo 5 - DP
>> thats the joy, it is also a blue ray player.

And a surprisingly decent one too.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
>> ....you will need a steering wheel...
>>
>> I had one of those with the X-Box and couldn't get on with it.

I knew your driving was carp.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
...I knew your driving was carp...

I've come across dozens of buses over the years and never hit one.

>> I'm not a DVD film watcher, but do I take it this £199 PS3 is
>> not a blu-ray player?

Can't even find it on the Sainsburys website - advert definitely in Metro though, I checked the e-version.
 Gran Turismo 5 - ToMoCo
The PS3 seems to be more of a complete package, take it out the box and thats it. With the 360 I gather you have to buy various exta bits, could be wrong though. Is the 360 HD?

Anyway, If you get a PS3, first recommendation would be Racedriver: GRID for £15.00 in Tesco. Fantastic. Burnout Paradise is also stunning looking and good for a blast.

I'll maybe convince my young son to put GT5 on his Crimbo list, We have Prologue, but i'm not a big fan.
Haven't tried any of the console games, but Colin McRae Rally 2 on the PC is great. Old enough to run on your hardware I would have thought iffy.
>> Old enough to run on your hardware I would have thought iffy.

Typed that without thinking - do modern Macs run PC games?
 Gran Turismo 5 - R.P.
Call of Duty fan me !
 Gran Turismo 5 - ToMoCo
>> Call of Duty fan me !
>>

Could be the Best series ever made MW + MW2. I've just got a hold of Black Ops, not played it yet though
 Gran Turismo 5 - Zero
>> >> Call of Duty fan me !
>> >>
>>
>> Could be the Best series ever made MW + MW2. I've just got a hold
>> of Black Ops, not played it yet though

Medal of honour fan here.
 Gran Turismo 5 - DP
>> We have
>> Prologue, but i'm not a big fan.

Me neither, which is why I'm keen to hear from anyone who has played both GT5 and Prologue. If GT5 is simply a bigger Prologue with more tracks and cars, I'm not particularly interested. I find the handling on Prologue to be very unrealistic.
 Gran Turismo 5 - Iffy
Video here of man opening the GT5 Signature Edition - for those who like to spend £130 on their video games.

tinyurl.com/2vr3udp

Tip: Let the video run some screenshots of the game follow on.

Gran Turismo 5 - Skoda
>> Could be the Best series ever made MW + MW2

The single player of MW had me hooked. Innovative game play -- I was totally taken with them slotting in a misson as a gunner on a C-130 gunship, it was like the ITN News screens from 1990, only much better graphics.

That's hard, keeping track of the radio traffic real time, trying to keep tabs on all the good guys on the ground, still giving them all good support.

A new understanding of what these guys do, digital soldiers or not i felt a bit attached to them. Sod doing "danger close" for a living - either end of the cannon barrel!

MW + MW2 are probably the best games i've ever played of any genre.

I'm blown away with the feedback through the steering wheel on GT5, you can feel what the front wheels are doing, that's impressive.

They should let Vauxhall know how to do that for real life... ;-)
 Gran Turismo 5 - ToMoCo
What wheel have you got Skoda?
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 26 Nov 10 at 12:32
 Gran Turismo 5 - Skoda
>> What wheel have you got Skoda?

Logitech G25, they're almost half price now since the G27 came out. Feels really good quality, apart from the gear change it's a bit lightweight feeling.
Latest Forum Posts