Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5.   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 100

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 6 *****

Top Gear - General Discussion thread.

Volume 4 is HERE:-
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 00:25

James May given brain scan - result negative - SteelSpark
tinyurl.com/2w3ztle

James May given brain scan - result negative - TheManWithNoName
And he's supposed to be the brains of the trio!

James May given brain scan - result negative - Zero
>> And he's supposed to be the brains of the trio!

Indeed, standing just where the tow line goes taught.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - VxFan
Scores of viewers angry at Tuesday's 'drive-by shooting' of the Stig on the first of two Top Gear Christmas specials have apparently been registering their disgust with the BBC and Ofcom following the show's screening.

The BBC admitted today that there had been a 'considerable number' of complaints about the show, and a spokesman for industry regulator Ofcom said that it too had been contacted and would be investigating in due course.

uk.autoblog.com/2010/12/23/top-gear-in-firing-line-over-stig-stunt/

I don't know about you, but I just thought it was typical TG laddish behaviour. Haven't these people who complain got anything better to do?

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - R.P.
Maybe - but may be seen in some quarters as glamorising gun culture -regardless of the fact it was the three stooges doing it.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 13:42

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - TheManWithNoName
oh, come, come. Of course it was right to complain. Dont you realise that having watched it on TG, thousands of people are now going to go out, buy a hand gun and go and shoot anyone dressed head to toe in a white racing suit and matching helmet.

I think the BBC should resign!

;-)

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - Zero
>> Scores of viewers angry at Tuesday's 'drive-by shooting' of the Stig on the first of
>> two Top Gear Christmas specials have apparently been registering their disgust with the BBC and
>> Ofcom following the show's screening.

Scores? Ok that means more than 40 and less than two hundred.

I think thats about the same number who phone in to complain about rude sequences of letters appearing on Countdown.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - Iffy
Would they have shown the sequence the week after Dunblane, or Michael Ryan, or that idiot in Cumbria earlier this year?

If the answer to any of those questions is 'no', which it would be, then they have no moral authority to show the sequence at all.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - R.P.
Once it becomes known that people are complaining there will be a bandwagon effect - people who haven't seem it will start moaning.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - SteelSpark
>> Once it becomes known that people are complaining there will be a bandwagon effect -
>> people who haven't seem it will start moaning.

I haven't seen it and I think it is disgusting. Won't somebody think of the children? Lynching is too good for the BBC.

Right, I'm off to watch it on iPlayer. Unfortunately, I might have to watch it several times to gather sufficient evidence for my stern letter to the so called BBC...

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - Westpig
Some people need to get out more.....it was HUMOUR
 Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - Stuu
I watched it and I couldnt stop laughing at the drive-by bit. At the end of the day, everyone knew they would have a dig at Collins, you were just waiting for it.

Anyone who watches Top Gear would expect this kind of thing. Five minutes of South Park and they would be preaching JC is the messiah.

Go do the church flowers and stop wasting ink people!
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 16:39

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - hobby
I agree, it was what I'd have expected of them, I suppose we'd better ban any film with Rambo in it just in case... and then there's the films about the prohibition gangsters... Bonny and Clyde... the list is endless...

>> the prohibition gangsters... Bonny and Clyde... the list is endless...

well two, anyway.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - hobby
I'm sure we could think of more, but it the point is made well enough with those two...

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - BiggerBadderDave
Bugsy Malone

You've just got a thing about Jodie Foster haven't you!

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - BiggerBadderDave
Jodie Foster was replaced as Agent Starling by Julianne Moore, now she is about as hot as they get. 50 years old and a beautiful red-head. Yummy.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - Armel Coussine
Drive-by shooting... great fun in very poor taste.

The really sinister thing was the way the car crept past in a tightish curve. Must have been very like the real thing.

Did you notice the way JC turned his weapon almost upside down like a brainless spade teenager? Surprised he hit the target at all.

Top Gear in the firing line over Stig stunt - VxFan
>> Surprised he hit the target at all.

You don't think for one minute that they were allowed to use or be trusted with live ammo do you?

Most probably blanks and pyrotechnics secreted inside the cardboard stigs.

>> You don't think for one minute that they were allowed to use or be trusted with live ammo do you?

I have to say it looked very much as if they were allowed to fire live ammo at cardboard targets from a slow-moving car in a US facility dedicated to that sort of thing, yes. Pistols don't recoil like that when blanks are fired.

Jeremy C didn't fire hi pistol when it was upside down. He just got filmed holding it like that with a grin.

Just watched it on YouTube.

I have a serious, almost overwhelming, need to shoot a gun right now...is that weird?

Seriously worried about you SS.

On one thread you say you are going missing soon, on another you have indicated you will be packing heat...

Raul my son, dont do it.

>> Raul my son, dont do it.

Wonder if Gazza would bring me some fried chicken...

Keep it up chaps... hilarious...

>> Keep it up chaps... hilarious...

What's up with you AC? Can't get anybody to go under the mistletoe with you?

I can see that you have had a cruel upbringing and live in harsh surroundings SS. Jon the club my dear fellow.

I thought the Gazza sally was quite funny.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - VxFan
Why is it that they can make a brilliant show one week, then complete dross the following week?

Only one thing made me laugh throughout the whole episode, and that was right at the end - baby Stig.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - BobbyG
Agreed Dave, it just didn't float my boat last night.

Sometimes you can watch it and forget all what will be going on in the background, then other times, like last night, other than May being knocked over every part of the show will have been written, rehearsed and they would all have been involved in that!

According to one of the online papers being knocked out wasn't staged - it's a shame really it could have been a good programme. and was a missed opportunity.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Oldgit
As I have said elsewhere, last night's programme really was scraping the barrel. Utter, utter tosh and these three should really be shown the door!

I sat through it in order to make a fair judgement but could not raise a smile at this repetitious clap trap.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Zero
Compared to the rest of Crap Christmas Tele, (apart form the Royal Family) top gear was a shining beacon of light. Ok it wasn't hilarious, but it was beautifully photographed, and the scenes from the back of the Russian transport were spectacular.

What's interesting is the support crew you don't normally see appearing when that Plum James May decided to argue with a tow rope.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Manatee
I seem to have missed the best bits - James was knocked out while I was having my tea, and SWMBO took over the TV causing me to miss the last 15 minutes.

A programme showing how they make it would have been more interesting. The affected laddishness is cringe making, Hammond being worst by far.

You're right - but I suppose it's dumbed down telly for the masses. I think that Zero has a point - not much of note on the box - will be watching Royle Family stored up for later.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - BobbyG
Am sure I saw in the closing credits a reference to a Syrian car club and some aviation mob who I guess both had a big hand in things.
So was the view from the cargo hold with door open a fix?

Dunno - reckon Alfa Floor may tell us when he appears..

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Runfer D'Hills
I don't really care if it was staged. I don't care if it was puerile. I don't care if it wasn't much to do with cars. It made us laugh as a family.

And, best of all, it didn't involve anyone in a dancing, singing, jungle based or ice skating competition spun out for weeks on ruddy end...
There is that ! :-)

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - RattleandSmoke
It may not have been a jet plane and maybe it didn;t get to a high altitude but if it did the cars wouldn't have worked straight away would there? But then I guess the compartment would have been pressurised.

I thought it was ok, not the best TG ever but probably one of the best things I have seen over Christmas. Better than the Clarkson Blu-Ray disc I got which I literary fell asleep during.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Fursty Ferret
Watching James May holding the tow rope I uttered the phrase "You wouldn't find me standing there" about two seconds before he wasn't, uh, standing there.

Felt exceptionally smug.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Stuu
I found it a decently entertaining episode. Nearly wet myself with the Stigbaby at the end, that was inspired.

The problem with TG is that it set the bar so high early on, that people seem to expect it to be able to top itself each and every time.
I tend to look at it as more Last of the Summer Wine with slightly younger guys and some cars thrown in. As light entertainment it does me just fine. Its had moments of brilliance over the years, something other shows never manage at their peak.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - rtj70
>> Last of the Summer Wine

I heard Clarkson say himself the other week they think it's like Last of the Summer Wine too.

Top Gear discussion thread Volume 5. - Stuu
I wonder if Roy Clarke is on the writing team...

Bottom Gear ?. - henry k
Top Gear USA: Will it work without Jeremy Clarkson?

( or Russia or Aussie ?)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12013382

Bottom Gear ?. - R.P.
No doubt they can find their own buffoons.

Bottom Gear ?. - Harleyman
>> No doubt they can find their own buffoons.
>>

They've been breeding them for long enough. I can't see it working though; the humour depends to a great extent on satire, irony and a sizeable dose of anarchic irresponsibility, none of which come easily to the American mindset.

Bottom Gear ?. - Stuu
I see the Burka wearing has caused a stir. Who didnt see that coming....

Bottom Gear ?. - Harleyman
>> I see the Burka wearing has caused a stir. Who didnt see that coming....
>>

Only in the Daily Star. They're probably frightened that they might become fashionable, which would completely scupper the (.)(.) market.

Bottom Gear ?. - rtj70
I was told the reason why they justified remaking their own Top Gear was the cars tested on the UK show were not the sort an American might buy. They then went ahead and basically remade the UK show with American presenters and tested exactly the same sort of cars anyway.

In fact I am told that the American version really is a remake of the UK version. Just not as good. And there is no chemistry between the presenters. It makes you wonder why they bothered.

Bottom Gear ?. - diddy1234
The Aussie version looks good.

Bottom Gear ?. - diddy1234
Actually a quick search of you tube shows this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3JCjIKmt8

I love the Nigel's vs the Bruce's

Bottom Gear ?. - Alastairw
Nigel vs Bruce is going to be in Series 16 apparently.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - R.P.
Crazier than ever according to the 2 page spread in the Sunday Times (obviously a coincidence that JC is employed by Murdoch as a word vomiter). Anyway it's back.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Focusless
Will give it a go based on the trailers they've been showing - appear to be concentrating more on driving fast cars rather than the 'stunts' which I'm not a big fan of.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - RattleandSmoke
I personaly like the cheap car challanges as it appeals to my interest in engineering. Driving fast Ferraris would the track is boring although again the engineering side does interest me.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - mikeyb
I'm with you Rattle - I really like the tasks where they have a grand to buy a car - like the British Leyland one a few series back

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Iffy
...appear to be concentrating more on driving fast cars rather than the 'stunts' which I'm not a big fan of...

The small amount of pre-publicity I've seen gave me the impression this series would be more of a serious motoring programme.

I think the three of them thoroughly overdid the lads' mag stuff, but several million viewers disagreed with me.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - bathtub tom
I thought they'd finally got sensible with the item about the Atom - I do hope it was at Tiff's insistence. Then it turned puerile with the Yeti and finally the 911 V Beetle bit.

I won't bother again.

That S1000RR is something......

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Runfer D'Hills
I ought to like the Yeti. It ticks a lot of boxes as JC pointed out. Just can't imagine actually buying one though. Not sure why.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Zero
because its as ugly as sin.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - RattleandSmoke
Because it says

"I am now middle aged and like to buy perfect cars".

It is probably just too perfect for a car lover.

I would buy one though if I had £15k to spend on a car and I needed something roomy.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 23 Jan 11 at 21:26

Maybe that's it. There's something not quite right or even mildly displeasing about the front of all current Skodas actually. A sort of goofy / toothy look. Makes me think of Hitler's moustache or Austin Powers' teeth.

Feel the same Humph - had a sit in one when buying the beige Skoda - 4WD top of the range jobbie - very, very nice - just ain't a BMW !

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Stuartli
A friend of mine who used to be in the car trade was told by a delivery driver when the Yeti first came out that it was so good that if it had a BMW, Merc or similar badge on it, then even if the price was virtually doubled it would still sell like hot cakes.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Ian (Cape Town)
I saw the Xmas edition as well as the Three-wise men over the weekend.
Saw in the trailer a brief preview which looks like some crime in Johannesburg - large red Nyala armoured car demiolishing houses and cars. has that been on yet?

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - BobbyG
Being a liker of Skodas, I went and checked out a Yeti a few months ago and I remember writing in here that it, to me, was just an overgrown Panda shape.

When I sat in it, it just didn't shout buy me. I think for the prices of a decent 4WD spec then you are well into Kuga, Qashqai, territory to name but a couple and they certainly seem more pleasing to the eye.

And I think it is quite a bit shorter in length than they are as well.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Alanovich
>>you are well into Kuga, Qashqai, territory to
>> name but a couple and they certainly seem more pleasing to the eye.

Dear Lord, no. At least the Yeti isn't trying to look like a gangsta rappa's Cadillac Escalade - it has a much humble proportions and is all the better for it. It's not really an SUV at all, and that's one reason I quite like it.

>> Dear Lord, no. At least the Yeti isn't trying to look like a gangsta rappa's
>> Cadillac Escalade - it has a much humble proportions and is all the better for
>> it. It's not really an SUV at all, and that's one reason I quite like
>> it.

Ohh I never saw Humph and his ho as would be Gangsta Hip Hoppers, but now you come to mention it......

Don' diss the H dude...

I'd like the wife to have a Yeti. But I wouldn't want it myself. Odd. But we'll never get the chance as I can't imagine her ever wanting anything other than a Golf.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Statistical Outlier
I'd have to disagree BT, I enjoyed last night's episode. It was no classic, but the Skoda review was enjoyably irreverent while actually telling you something about the car, the Ariel was amazing, and the Porsche thing a bit silly (although we missed the last two minutes so I'm still hoping that Hammond was squashed by the beetle). All in all, good stuff.

>> two minutes so I'm still hoping that Hammond was squashed by the beetle). All in
>> all, good stuff.

alas I fear the pilot was American Military trained, he missed.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - rtj70
It was okay. The Yeti item was slightly amusing. If it looked better on the outside then it would be a better car. Seems there is a lot of demand for it anyway. The Ferrari vs Yeti was funny in a sort of way - because you need the right car for the right conditions. How would the Ferrari have been in the recent wintery conditions for example.

One thing I wondered was the star in a reasonably priced car was a lot quicker than previous drivers. It could be he was just fast anyway but what I do wonder if they will claim new Stig is better than training them.... and at the same time they upped the power of the reasonably priced car to make sure they are quicker ;-) We'll see how they get on in future weeks.

Totally personal of course, but I find that comedian deeply irritating for some reason - His accent seems slightly faux-Liverpool, can't put my finger on it.

Yes, I want to punch him.

And Michael Mcintyre, if i want laughs with a stupid squeaky voice I will watch the muppets - or rainbow.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Iffy
...His accent seems slightly faux-Liverpool, can't put my finger on it...

When he first spoke, I thought he was a Brummie.

Seemed an affable sort of guy with no 'side' him.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Perky Penguin
What make/model is the Reasonably Priced Car? I thought it a bit Focus like but then it wasn't a Ford badge.

A Kia something...

It's a Kia Cee'd 1.6 petrol manual. I think it's a good bit better than the previous Lacettis and Lianas.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - diddy1234
I am quite interested to see how the Cee'd will hold up with the abuse it will suffer.

But I would be interested, I have a Kia !

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - VxFan
>> It's a Kia Cee'd

Surprised Old Navy hasn't chirped in yet ;o)

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - sherlock47
>>alas I fear the pilot was American Military trained, he missed.<<<

A true American would not only miss the intended target, he would take out some of his friends as well, (having made a recognition error)!!!

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - VxFan
>> I'm still hoping that Hammond was squashed by the beetle

Isn't he short enough already?

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Redviper
a good episode, I was very pleased to see Tiff make a "return" to top gear. however the falling beetle escapde made the porcshe (yawn) segment much more interesting.

I really, really wish they would dispense of SIARPC becasue I dont care about some celeb driving a car round the track, its about cars and thats what I want to see - but thats the time when I go to the fridge and pour another glass of wine. all in all not a bad episode really.

I was just thinking that about Tiff myself.

Sorry, going to have to catch the repeat - who was the SIARPC?

The chirpy scouser I want to punch.

Bishop (not the Bishop of Liverpool)

He's not exactly chirpy either come to think of it - all very forced.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 11:25

>> Bishop (not the Bishop of Liverpool)

Ah, thought it might be. Quite like him.

When I first saw John Bishop on the telly, I thought him very amusing.

Then I went to see him live at the end of last year, and he was rubbish.

I think he ran out of material after two routines and has now resorted to telling anecdotes about his children and home life. I expect him to fade away quite quickly.

>> Then I went to see him live at the end of last year, and he
>> was rubbish.

Fair enough - haven't seen him live. Thought he handled that big televised outdoor gig last year (Prince's Trust or something?) well - his relatively slow delivery meant the audience could actually get his jokes, which wasn't the case with some of the others.

Aye, he presents well, maybe he has a future ahead as an amusing presenter of TV shows rather than a stand-up comic.

>> The chirpy scouser I want to punch.

Ken Dodd?

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - rtj70
>> He's not exactly chirpy either come to think of it - all very forced.

He's trying to be a new Stan Boardman I think. That's my opinion anyway. He'll be telling us the German's bombed his chippy next.

He'll never be Stan Boardman - He appeared at the local rugby club, went out to the Indian Takeaway with some of them - he does come across well !

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Crankcase
I'd never heard of him and after two minutes wasn't impressed, so as ever, fast forwarded through that bit.

Back tonight.....for a six part series. - Stuartli
At a gig in my town recently he was heckled and, apparently, couldn't cope with it.

Not awe inspiring for a stand up comic nor, indeed, someone who's a Scouser.....

>> Sorry, going to have to catch the repeat

For anyone else wanting to catch a repeat - Wednesday 7pm BBC2, Thursday 7pm & Saturday 7.10pm BBC3.

And on that really crap, left wing public service sourced iPlayer of course.

Latest Forum Posts