Motoring Discussion > Quick Irish Tractor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 29

Quick Irish Tractor - Fenlander
No worries getting held up behind this guy....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmE17Dg23w

NB tractor not seen until 50 secs into video.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 5 Jan 11 at 11:22
 Quick Irish Tractor - corax
Eh? Are my eyes deceiving me?

:)
 Quick Irish Tractor - Tooslow
Ace!!

But what was the third one in the first convoy, after the John Deere? I've seen some big tractors but - whew!

John
 Quick Irish Tractor - TheManWithNoName
>> Ace!!
>>
>> But what was the third one in the first convoy, after the John Deere? I've
>> seen some big tractors but - whew!
>>
>> John
>>

Not sure of the name but there was one in use by the farmer near me. Massive thing it was that was jointed in the middle and steered by hyrdaulically twisting the body. It filled the lane and left no-where to go if you met it coming the other way.
Mind you at least it could be seen above the hedgerows.
Despite its size they still managed to get it stuck in a boggy field one day and the only way to get it freed was to call the USAAF who had a base nearby. They used some seriously heavy lifting equipment to shift it.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Zero
>> >> Ace!!
>> >>
>> >> But what was the third one in the first convoy, after the John Deere?
>> I've
>> >> seen some big tractors but - whew!
>> >>
>> >> John
>> >>

It was a ford, about 1985 vintage.
 Quick Irish Tractor - spamcan61
excellent! Love the 'no no no' comments from the camera crew near the end, presumably they, like me, thought he was going a wee bit too fast on that run.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Zero
>> excellent! Love the 'no no no' comments from the camera crew near the end, presumably
>> they, like me, thought he was going a wee bit too fast on that run.

Yeah, it still handles like a tractor at the end of the day.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Bellboy
brilliant
and i thought gungadin was brave
 Quick Irish Tractor - spamcan61
>> >> excellent! Love the 'no no no' comments from the camera crew near the end,
>> presumably
>> >> they, like me, thought he was going a wee bit too fast on that
>> run.
>>
>> Yeah, it still handles like a tractor at the end of the day.
>>
Indeed, with an NCAP rating of minus 5 it must take balls of steel to ride that thing fast round corners.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Armel Coussine
Fabulous!

I think the steering and its damper, plus tracking and front suspension location, will have been very carefully fettled. The thing didn't look remotely skittish in those clips although driving skill may have played a big part. It handled a lot better than a Zeppelin-engined Edwardian racer I once saw at Shelsley Walsh, and better than a Bentley/Royce special I saw at the same meeting.
 Quick Irish Tractor - jc2
The quick one looks like an elderly Fordson Major with a V8 in;The tractor bending in the middle was likely to be a "Does of Ulting"conversion-two Fordson Majors,both converted from 4-cyl. to 6-cyl. and joined together in the middle,front axles removed,and steered by hydraulic ram joining the two parts.
tinyurl.com/3aeuppk

For all of the big kids on here.
John
 Quick Irish Tractor - Bellboy
60 SOVS?
your avin a larf?
 Quick Irish Tractor - Iffy
...60 SOVS...

Not far off the going rate for a decent model.

I kept an eye out for a grey Fergie for a while and there was nothing worth having under £40.

Not me. I haven't bought one :-)

John
"The quick one looks like an elderly Fordson Major with a V8 " It says a V6 out of a Granada on YouTube.
John
 Quick Irish Tractor - Injection Doc
phew its enough to make your eyes water !!!! how how how does it keep the front wheels on the ground to steer ??? they normally bounce everywhere at 25 mph
That guy had no fear ! Dead if he rolled
 Quick Irish Tractor - Fenlander
No fear indeed... someone way back in the youtube comments said *drive like you're late for mass*

Regarding tractor handling we've owned 4. Two (Internationals) were tank slappers over 10mph, one John Deere was OK and another Internation (early PAS) was pin sharp to max speeds.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Injection Doc
This one looks great fun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfRMNkPXa2A&feature=related

V6 engine fitted, I like the power slide
 Quick Irish Tractor - Cliff Pope
There must be a lot of other modifications too?

1) The Massey Fergusson has rear brakes only, which means virtually no ability to stop. Touching the brakes on mine locks the back wheels instantly.

2) It's quite easy to flip one over backwards when starting off even with the standard engine. There must be a lot of ballast up front

3) I'm intrigued by the mechanical set up. Tractors aren't usually like cars, with a chassis into which a more powerful engine could be bolted. The engine itself forms the structure at the front, supporting the weight of the vehicle, the front steering, and taking all the front/back twisting shocks. Car engines are very flimsy by comparison.
Presumably there is a lot of reinforcing or construction of a new sub-chassis to handle the lighter engine?

4) Tractor engines give enormous torque at low speed, so can start in any gear. With a high-reving car engine I'd have thought you would need to accelerate up through the gears. If his M-F is like my Ferguson, it has an appalling crash box which would kill all the zip from a sportier engine. Perhaps he upgraded the gearbox too?

All told, they certainly look exiting.
 Quick Irish Tractor - Harleyman
Cliff, I sometimes have to move tractors in my job, and occasionally use one with a Quicke loader to take a pallet off.

Why is it that they all, without exception, seem to have clutches which would make excellent bear traps?
Sorry, what's a bear trap? Something on the stock market, or do you mean the pedal kicks back viciously? I can't say I've noticed anything exceptional.
I don't relish ever having to access the clutch, unbolting the tractor in the midle and supporting the two halves while wheeling one end clear.
...Sorry, what's a bear trap? Something on the stock market, or do you mean the pedal kicks back viciously? I can't say I've noticed anything exceptional...

If it's not air suspended, climate controlled and power assisted he doesn't want to know.

Typical feather-bedded lorry driver. :)

Quick Irish Tractor - Mapmaker
Prefer Tiger Traps myself, often to be found in the English Countryside.

Seriously.

>>
>> If it's not air suspended, climate controlled and power assisted he doesn't want to know.
>>
>> Typical feather-bedded lorry driver. :)
>>
>>
>>

Cruel! ;-)

Doesn't apply to me; I've had plenty of years driving Bedfords, Leylands, ERF's and Scammells which had none of the above, unless you count gaps in the floor as aircon! There are a few around who'd match your description though, I'll grant you!

Cliff, sorry, a bear trap is a large gin trap; the analogy implies that they bite sharply.
Yes, I guessed that, I just couldn't see the similarity with a clutch pedal.

The pedal hazard mine does have is from carelessly alighting putting one's foot on the brake pedal instead of the foot rest. This releases the parking brake, so on a slope one is immediate run down by one's own vehicle.
...Cruel! ;-)...

But funny, I just hope Pat doesn't see it or I'll be in the dog house. :)

I also wondered what you meant about tractor clutches.

I've driven quite a few Fergies, Fords and Nuffields from the 60s and 70s.

Don't recall the clutch biting sharply on any of them.

What gear do you pull away in?

For just moving the tractor under no load, I would start a few gears up from the lowest, depending on how many gears and ratios it had.

>>
>> For just moving the tractor under no load, I would start a few gears up
>> from the lowest, depending on how many gears and ratios it had.
>>

Yes, might be that I'm perhaps being over-cautious and selecting too low a gear; I've plenty of experience of driving FLT's and telescopic handlers, but a front-loader on a tractor requires a bit more care, sice it's difficult to see the pallet from the tractor cab. I can do without damaging either my lorry or someone else's goods!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 13:11
...but a front-loader on a tractor requires a bit more care...

Choosing the correct amount of revs with the hand throttle, or using the foot throttle if it has one, is another part of the equation.

Sort of thing you could only pick up if you drove that particular tractor regularly.

We had a front loader on a Nuffield 10/60.

No power steering, that was hard work unladen, let alone with some weight in the bucket.

Worst job was loading stacked bales onto a trailer - lots of manoeuvring forwards and backwards.

Quick Irish Tractor - borasport
Does a solid white line down the middle of the road mean something different over there, then ? ;-)
Latest Forum Posts