Motoring Discussion > Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: John H Replies: 132

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - John H
from 13 Jan
www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=17067
Screenwash with Antifreeze
£ 4.99*

* Can be used in temperatures as low as -60°C
* Suitable for fan jet nozzles
* Contains Bitrex® with extremely bitter taste substances, for increased protection against confusion with edible goods and accidental swallowing
* 5L
* 10p/100ml

also
Battery Charger
£ 12.99*
* Electronically controlled, fully automatic charging with LED indicator
* Charging cable with insulated clips
* Choose from continuous charging function or trickle charging with thermal overload and reverse polarity protection
* Recovery mode helps to prevent sulphation
* Suitable for most 6V and 12V car or motorcycle batteries with a 1.2-120Ah capacity
* 4 variable charging rates, max. (A): 3.8
* Operating voltage: 220-240V ~ 50/60Hz
* Size (cm): 19.5 x 6.7 x 4.4
* Contents & accessories not included
* 3 year manufacturer’s warranty

Last edited by: John H on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 11:58
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Chris S
Whenever I get to Lidl all the decent special offers are gone - if they arrived in the first place.

I suspect they just sell a limited number of them at some stores so they can put them on the leaflets and get people in.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Snakey
Chris S - I suspect that tactic is used by a lot of shops! I never seem to manage to get any of the 'special offers' shown in the papers or on flyers
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - FotheringtonTomas
>> Whenever I get to Lidl all the decent special offers are gone - if they
>> arrived in the first place.

They do run out - I have also (very rarely) seen "specials" put out the night before, and (very rarely) heard of ones that don't turn up right on time. I don't think there's been anything I've wanted that did not arrive at all.

>> I suspect they just sell a limited number of them at some stores so they
>> can put them on the leaflets and get people in.

You can subscribe to an e-mail list at both Lidl and Aldi, and get advance warning of what's coming up.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Old Navy
>> >> Whenever I get to Lidl all the decent special offers are gone - if
>> they
>> >> arrived in the first place.
>>

I have one of the battery chargers, and very good it is too.

On a couple of occasions when I have not been able to get to a LIDL on the appropriate day I have managed to buy items a day early by asking in my usual smooth suave manner. :-)
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Stuartli
>>I suspect they just sell a limited number of them at some stores so they can put them on the leaflets and get people in.>>

It's more likely to be the fact that such offers are on a split basis - about half the stores have the offers one week and the rest the following week.

This is the reason why you have to enter your town or postcode on the Lidl website so that the correct offers for your area are listed.

My local Lidl and Aldi both normally have plenty of any special items available from the stated date, but particularly good offers sees plenty of people queuing up well before opening time to snap them up.

Apart from the leaflets or e-mails, special offers are listed well in advance on the respective websites.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 13:18
It's very slightly different to the last lot I bought - which had -70C on the label (I posted a picture if it a while ago, with a link from a post in C4P).

The (nearly sold out) Aldi screenwash I saw yesterday is "ready to use" and does not seem to have a "down to" temperature on the label.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Boxsterboy
Thanks to the OP. I was wondering when they would have this in stock again - it's good stuff and way better value than the pre-mix at garage forecourts.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - L'escargot
With a freezing point of -60 °C I can't help but wonder what's in it. Halfords only claim -6 °C for theirs. Have Lidl made a ten times error?
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Tooslow
My Comma stuff works down to -26C or -12C diluted 50/50 so I reckon that's a practical proposition. The Halfords stuff is useless in the weather we have recently had.
John
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Iffy
...The Halfords stuff is useless in the weather we have recently had...

It's not brilliant.

Halford's pink froze in the a toilet pan in the caravan during the last cold spell.

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - jc2
For one of the offers at our local Lidl,people were queueing before the shop opened;the manager came out,stated he had twenty-five of the particular item and when they were gone,they were gone.He handed out twenty five tickets and said,that's it. All gone in the first five minutes.
Last edited by: jc2 on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 16:28
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Alanovich
I've just been to Lidl and bought some downlighters for my kitchen refurb. Chrome, dimmable, swivelable, they came in a 6 pack including low energy bulbs, and they do not need transformers. A pack of 6 was 7.99, so I bought three. They are beautiful quality items, how they do it for under 8 quid is insane.

I priced similar up in B&Q recently, each individual downlighter was 10 pounds a piece, not including a bulb, nor a transformer. 8 lights would have cost me nigh on 200 quid. I've just got 18 from Lidl for under 24 pounds.

"Bargain" doesn't quite cover it.
...I priced similar up in B&Q recently...

Some of the stuff in there is well-priced, some is not.

I recently bought a stop cock key for £6.49 from B&Q.

Screwfix and a local plumbers' merchant wanted £15 to £20.

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - smokie
...on the other hand I nearly bought a rad valve with drain point in Wickes the other day - just over £6 as opposed to just over £3 in Screwfix.

It's worth shopping around.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - bathtub tom
I understand Wickes have been bought out by Homebase and even SWMBO's put off by their prices!
>> For one of the offers at our local Lidl,people were queueing before the shop opened;the
>> manager came out,stated he had twenty-five of the particular item and when they were gone,they
>> were gone.He handed out twenty five tickets and said,that's it. All gone in the first
>> five minutes.
>>

Which is how they keep low prices - no over-stocking. That and fewer product lines.
>>Which is how they keep low prices - no over-stocking. That and fewer product lines. >>

But these are, as stated, special offers.

Lidle, Aldi etc are basically food outlets. Just take advantage of any exceptional offers.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Tooslow
"Halford's pink froze in the a toilet pan in the caravan during the last cold spell."

You're not supposed to drink it.
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 16:46
...You're not supposed to drink it...

It's so close to water it might not do you much harm.

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - borasport
>> It's so close to water

so it could be described as 'like sex in a canoe' ?

[___ing near water !]
Last edited by: borasport on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 17:21
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Cpt. Flack
"Halford's pink froze in the a toilet pan in the caravan during the last cold spell."

I put this stuff in during the cold spell in early 2010 and over last months freeze. Both cars, no problems. Was it the no add water stuff you had?

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Skoda
The 5 litres of lidls makes 15 litres of -16 degrees (2:1 dilution with water).
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Mike H
>> With a freezing point of -60 °C I can't help but wonder what's in it.
>> Halfords only claim -6 °C for theirs. Have Lidl made a ten times error?
>>
Unlikely, -60 degree protection is common here in Austria. I have some -40 that I bought in the local Aldi (called Hofer in Austria but the same company), and have just been to the garage to check the contents. It only lists ethanol, colour, smell, and "anionic tensid" whatever that its, I suspect it's a cleaning agent as a lot of household cleaners have "anionic surfactants" in them.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - L'escargot
>> It only lists ethanol, colour, smell,
>> and "anionic tensid" whatever that its, ...........

I suspect it should have said anionic tenside(s).
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Mike H
>> I suspect it should have said anionic tenside(s).
>>
That's as may be, but the two different makes I have both say the same, i.e. tensid without the plural "e" :-)
>> With a freezing point of -60 °C I can't help but wonder what's in it.
>> Halfords only claim -6 °C for theirs. Have Lidl made a ten times error?

Nope.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - sherlock47
The Lidl stuff is absolutely brilliant in melting the hard ice that just very occasionally forms on screens and wipers. I hate to think what it does to the paintwork.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - R.P.
I'm off there tomorrow to look for baking stuff - anybody notice how strangely noise free these stores are compared to other supermarkets, almost eerie...
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - legacylad
Someone recently posted on here the BOGOF deal for 5 litres of concentrated screenwash. Cannot remember from where now, but thank you to the poster. I received mine within a few days. Nearly all gone now...used by 4 cars...my better half uses plenty on her 35k pa mainly motorway miles.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - VxFan
>> Cannot remember from where now, but thank you to the poster.

You're welcome.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=3568&m=81255

Offer now finished though ;o(

Wish now that I had ordered some myself. Got approx 2 litres of concentrated screenwash left and my usual places I buy it from have sold out.
>> anybody notice how strangely noise free these stores are
>> compared to other supermarkets, almost eerie...

I like it. I also like the fact that one does not get bashed into or obstructed so much by "those people" that populate Tesco, et al - hunched over their trolleys, leaning on the handles, shuffling along and lost in a dreamworld of "special offers".

Oh, I also like the coin-slot-release trolleys a lot - never blowing free about in the car-park and bashing into cars.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 08:59
hunched over their trolleys, leaning on the handles, shuffling along....

I've noticed that - how uncomfortable must that be ?
>>how uncomfortable must that be ?

Not at all. It means their knuckles don't have to leave the ground.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Pat
Of course that would be MEN pushing trolleys that you're talking about.

Pat
Well Pat - did some observing today. Lidl well behaved trolley jockeys in the main. Home Bargains - sort of OK - but some blockers (blocking aisles while they peruse a product), Tesco was abysmal, some male hunchers but aisle blockers were all women....maybe they should have a highway code for trolley users..!
>> Of course that would be MEN pushing trolleys that you're talking about.
>>
>> Pat
>>

You don't get real men in pushing shopping trolleys, (or driving them). :-)
Well of course, I just let Tesco deliver to me and get my own back for all those years of being moaned at for being 3 minutes past my booking time.

As for shopping at Lidl, I would never darken their doors after seeing the state of their warehouses. Aldi on the other hand are clean and well organised, but both use the same system on the checkout that my fumbling fingers can't keep up with.

Give me Tesco self checkout any day if I do have to go into the store.

Pat
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Zero

>> Give me Tesco self checkout any day if I do have to go into the
>> store.

Give me the waitrose scan and bag as you shop system every day.
I've never had the chance to try that system but I bet it's a good one.

Pat
I have to agree with Zero - Waitrose now have a branch even in this windy outpost - Excellent fruit and veg and nice staff.
>> I've never had the chance to try that system but I bet it's a good
>> one.

You swipe your card into a bank of hand scanners at the store entrance, and take the one indicated by a light. You scan your items as you place them in your free reusable waitrose bags, you take your scanner to a dedicated checkout, bleep your hand scanner against a barcode on the checkout, insert your card, your pin, remove your card and leave.

Sometimes, (rarely) as a security measure, a random rescan is required by staff. They come and do this for you and repack your bags.

Sainsbury have introduced the system as well.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 16:36
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - BobbyG
Safeway introduced that system, gawd, must have been at least 10 or so years ago if not longer. I remember we used to have a remote control thingy that would automatically ask for a "random" check of the shopping.

If memory serves me right at some stage we withdrew "shop'n'go" and the green crates that were used with it. Not sure if it was when Morrisons took us over or whether it was before.

Obviously either way ahead of the times!

Apologies for being an anorak on this subject but Safeway also had the ABC loyalty card and the marketing info that this built up was, well, what you now see from Tesco Clubcard.
With the shop'n'go though, the next step which would have been introduced was the handscanner bleeping to recommend purchases as you passed them in the aisles, based on your previous shopping history.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Perky Penguin
ALL self-help checkouts are more trouble than they are worth, if you are buying more than a very few items. Things won't scan, special authorisation needed for alcohol and bladed items, random robot shouts of "Unexpected item in the bagging area". I find Aldi/Lidl requring one to put stuff back into your trolley and pack your bags elsewhere excellent
>> ALL self-help checkouts are more trouble than they are worth, if you are buying more
>> than a very few items. Things won't scan, special authorisation needed for alcohol and bladed
>> items,

Not with the Waitrose one, you are automatically age authorised by using your card to get the scanner.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - CGNorwich
I agree with Zero, the Waitrose self scanning system is excellent, simple to use and time saving. Put all your shopping directly into your bags and you saves all that unloading the trolley and re-packing. Best bit of the whole process for me however is when I present my discount card and it knocks 15% of the entire bill - magic!. Pay with JLP card and i get a further 2% in vouchers.

Better than Tesco points eh!
>> when I present my discount card and it knocks 15% of the entire bill -
>> magic!. Pay with JLP card and i get a further 2% in vouchers.

Or shop at Lidl and get an instant 50% off your Waitrose bill.
>>Or shop at Lidl and get an instant 50% off your Waitrose bill. >>

As Tesco claims, Every Lidl Helps...:-)
>> >>Or shop at Lidl and get an instant 50% off your Waitrose bill. >>

Except you dont. Its about 15% cheaper.

I will happily pay that not to mix with the muffin top tattooed vicky polards and their disgusting progeny stuffing their trolleys with cut price crisps.
Perhaps they feel the same. I haven't heard them say a bad word about you. ;>)
I don't think you get out much - certainly not to Lidl/Alid.
Alas I do. To both.

Possibly the waitrose detractors haven't been in one or shopped there?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 10 Jan 11 at 10:55
>> Possibly the waitrose detractors haven't been in one or shopped there?

I don't know. I go to Waitrose for stuff I can't easily get elsewhere (big porridge oats, for instance), or if t's convenient to shop there from a particular place (see some other thread about travel costs/corner shops); not frequently, perhaps once every 6 weeks or so.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - John H
>> I don't know. I go to Waitrose for stuff I can't easily get elsewhere (big
>> porridge oats, for instance),
>>

Have you tried Sainsbury's own brand "Taste the Difference"?
I don't go to Waitrose because the nearest's about ten miles away. I've a couple of Lidl and an Aldi within a couple of miles.

They even speak English at one. ;>)
>>They even speak English at one. ;>)>>

Staff at Asda seem to get paid well, certainly more than those say at Tesco, at £8 to £9 an hour initially. See:

www.careers.aldirecruitment.co.uk/working-for-aldi/index.asp

Graduates on the area manager training programme start on £40k, rising to £61k after three years plus an Audi A4...:-)

www.graduates.aldirecruitment.co.uk/the_rewards/index.asp

So it's no wonder the employees are keen to show willing.

>> So it's no wonder the employees are keen to show willing.

www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/Display.aspx?MasterId=869aa67c-f6e6-42b4-98ca-0a1b16d906bb&NavigationId=547

Even more willing in Waitrose.
>>Even more willing in Waitrose. >>

Yes, it's always been the case at John Lewis for some time, but in fairness Aldi has a more traditional business operation.
Aldi and Lidl make you work for your money.

For their sales assistant rate of about £8 to £9 an hour you are expected to do everything in the shop, from cleaning the toilets, serving customers, advertising and filling shelves. You do not get out until your work is done. That is why you will often see lights on well past the closing time.

For their area managers, I think their shelf life is less than 2 years, you reach total burnout, 7 day working and you are expected to cover for your shop managers when they are on holiday or are ill.

The reason they give you a big A4 is, as my friend discovered, to save you from dying when you fall asleep at the wheel.
>>You do not get out until your work is done. That is why you will often see lights on well past the closing time.>>

The staff at my local Aldi and Lidl have been around for some considerable time, with the occasional newcomer.

Lights on past the closing time would seem to indicate re-stocking of shelves, probably much easier than having to come in very early to do the job.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - VxFan
>> Staff at Asda seem to get paid well, certainly more than those say at Tesco

Talking of both stores:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk6uZ2hzM_4

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - -
>> Have you tried Sainsbury's own brand "Taste the Difference"?
>>
Used to be our morning breakfast, it's almost doubled in price in the last 8 years.

Now buy organic rolled oats by the 5kg bag for under £5 from a natural food cooperative.

Bobby G's Safeway nostalgia reminds me, they discontinued one of the best puddings ever tasted, the steamed coconut jam pudding which was delicious as was the coconut ice cream they also discontinued.

Which brings me to the most missed treat of all time...McVities Royal Scot biscuit, made biscuit eating a little more special.
>> I will happily pay that not to mix with the muffin top tattooed vicky polards
>> and their disgusting progeny stuffing their trolleys with cut price crisps.
>>

I find the clientele at my local Lidl to be polite, calm, friendly, chatty and generally pleasant. They know that they are no better then anyone else there. It's always a relaxed experience.

I find the clientele in my local Waitrose to be driving huge SUVS, taking up two parking places because they can't get the blasted thing in one, rude, pushy, hurried, impatient with their children, unfriendly, unchatty, rude to the staff, and so on and so on. They think they are a cut above and behave accordingly.

Tesco is the place to go for the muffin-topped pond life.
...I find Aldi/Lidl requring one to put stuff back into your trolley and pack your bags elsewhere excellent...

Me too.

To generalise, their staff are better to deal with than those from Tesco and the like.

I think this is because they are less corporate, do not have to stick to a script, so can be themselves.

I'm more comfortable with someone whose response is genuine.

Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Bill Payer
>> I'm off there tomorrow to look for baking stuff - anybody notice how strangely noise
>> free these stores are compared to other supermarkets, almost eerie...
>>
We went to Aldi store on Bumpers Lane in Chester last weekend as a bit of an adventure after we'd been furniture shopping . It was strangely calm and the other thing that struck me is the customers all seemed quite posh - although that was spoiled a bit by the minicab waiting outside!

Bought a wireless doorbell for our daughter (all daughters should have a doorbell!) and a laminator (for no particular purpose). So, as always, we spent about £25 on stuff that we didn't know we needed, which somewhat wiped out the £2 we saved on other random stuff.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Runfer D'Hills
I quite enjoy food shopping but I'm not very bothered where I do it. Just wherever happens to be convenient at the time. Quite enjoy cooking too. about to do something with steak, red peppers, garlic, onions, tomato based sauce, herbs and pasta.....

I'm just about to do something with Chicken Tikka, Onion Bahji's, Vegetable samosa's and garlic and coriander naan bread... order it to be delivered:)

Pat
I am just about to something with a Sainsbury Curry

Microwave it.

1 chicken korma, 1 chicken Jalfrezi, 1 lamb rogan Josh, 2 colour pliau rice, 1 bombay potato, and 6 onion bahji's for just under 10 quid.

And all as good as any average curry house.
...And all as good as any average curry house...

Curry is one of the few microwave meals which works well.

Meat, and particularly prawns, can become rubbery when zapped, but other than that you could be in The Bengal Lancer on the high street.

>>..you could be in The Bengal Lancer on the high street.>>

Probably use exactly the same routine.....
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - The Melting Snowman
We use ASDA's screenwash concentrate. £1.50 for 2.5L
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Manatee
Did you get too close to it?
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Shiny
The LIDL stuff is great, it is 80% alcohol
www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

I bought two 5l bottles in November, but I have to say this year's batch smells a bit like rotten fruit, but it still works OK.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Hard Cheese

>>also
Battery Charger
£ 12.99>>

I bought one today, a day early, the guy said that they normally would not sell in advance because it may disadvantage people who come in on the day however he also said that had a lot in stock and let me have one. Haven't opened the box yet though it sounds good.

I've been in for their motoring bits today - 10 litres of concentrated screen wash, a tourque wrench set, a first aid kit and a set of mats for 36 nicker.

Well pleased. All quality stuff.
I did the same - was a bit miffed to find they only had the 1l bottles of screenwash, not the 2.5 as advertised :-(
I have only seen 5L of -lots screenwash in our LIDL.
Yep, I got two stonking 5L bottles.
Yeah, that was what I was looking for - I can carry two in each hand, but the equivalent in 1l bottles is a bit much.
This was in Wakefield - where were the 5l bottles ?
Reading. Sorry.
See:

tinyurl.com/4ub37er

Tesco's 2.5L equivalent is currently £2.50. See:

www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/8/xpi50905608.htm

I've been using it this winter in the Jetta in temperatures so low they haven't been experienced for years in this area.

I also keep a litre bottle in the boot for topping up if away from home.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 13:47
I looked at the Tesco concentrate a few days ago, the label says good for -5C, It must be concentrated water. :-)
>>I looked at the Tesco concentrate a few days ago, the label says good for -5C, It must be concentrated water. :-) >>

Well it's been -8.5 degrees C on at least one day late morning over Christmas and New Year in my area (something unknown for goodness knows how long) and the windscreen wipers have been fully usable throughout using Tesco's product (the mixture was diluted to some extent as well, having been in for a period).
being back on the other side of the country, I looked at the Farnworth Lidl at lunchtime, and they have both the 1l bottles of W5 or whatever brand, and 5l bottles of the 'proper' stuff.

I notice from the bottle it claims to be 'citrus scented' - well I'd not argue that it smells, but whatever it smells of, it ain't oranges and lemons
>> being back on the other side of the country, I looked at the Farnworth Lidl
>> at lunchtime, and they have both the 1l bottles of W5 or whatever brand, and
>> 5l bottles of the 'proper' stuff.

I noticed that - the labels on each container seem to indicate identical ingredients. The £2 1L "squirty" bottles were of de-icer, the £5 5L ones "screenwash":

www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17095.htm
www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17094.htm
The lidl I went into had three types.

1 litre bottles of screenwash concentrate, 5 litres containers of screenwash with No indication of any antifreeze ability, and unopened boxes* containing the 5 litre -60c stuff.

(i didnt know it was in there so I opened one to find out)
You can use the 5l -60 stuff in 1:1 water dilution in a skooshy bottle as a de-icer too
I popped in after lunch, was surprised they still had stock of everything. There was still half of a pallet left so I didn't feel guilty taking 2 of the 5l screen washes.

The mats though, they're huge! What size of footwell were they designed for? Are you supposed to cut them to size?
...The mats though, they're huge! What size of footwell were they designed for? Are you supposed to cut them to size?...

Were you looking at the non-slip one for the boot?

www.lidl.co.uk:80/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17084.htm
No the carline mats top left on that page. I didnt spot the boot mat, I'd have had one of them away too, seems a good price.
I had two of the boot mats away. Stops fifi sliding round the boot when I am a little - errr - enthusiastic with my driving.
...I'd have had one of them away too, seems a good price...

My planned order for tomorrow is boot mat, screen wash and battery charger.

I'll use two out of three, which as a podgy American once sang, 'aint bad.

The battery chargers pretty good, it doesn't like batteries below a certain voltage though.

Kudos to lidl. They always use a skoda octavia for their pictures. I will know in future that if it's not modelled inside the car (like the mats) there's a reason for that. The dog mats for the back seat next week look a good fit. Just need a dog to go with it.
Skoda, was that Carfin you were in?
Yeah Carfin store's really close for me
Might pop in today, I was down at Aldi at Bellshill yesterday trying to get their shelving storage unit for my garage butthey had sold out :(
Tesco in Coatbridge had some in, I got some a year or 2 ago the big plastic ones, theyre as strong as you like and no rust in my persistently leaky garage!
Battery chargers sold out when I made it to my local Lidl this afternoon.

But I did get the non-slip mat, 5ltrs of screenwash and, after Alanovic put it in my mind, the car first aid kit.

I also bought a pack of sliced Chorizo sausage.

I'm not a fan of some of the German sausages, but the Spanish Chorizo is lovely, and never better than from Lidl or Aldi.

Diced on a piece of cheese on toast - instant pizza.

>> There was
>> still half of a pallet left so I didn't feel guilty taking 2 of the
>> 5l screen washes.
>>

You are shy, Skoda. I took 4 x 5l from the Leatherhead Lidl.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Old Sock
I must confess to: 5x 5l screenwash, 2x battery chargers, 2x spray de-icers, 4x pairs of wiper blades, a torque wrench, a set of spanners and..... 5 litres of thin bleach (beats the vodka any day).

St. Neots branch

the non slip matting is super. I have to buy some more, Nicole wants it cut up and placed under the mats on the wood floor - to stop them moving
...the non slip matting is super...

Mine's plonked in the boot of the CC3.

I've got purple, should make the boot look less of a black hole.

Think it will do the job, it's probably not very durable, but I don't carry heavy objects very often.
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Netsur
Bought 2 x 5l bottles in Prestwich on Friday afternoon. Saw the 1l concentate bottles but even if you dilute the -60C stuff it costs 50ppl and still get -30C protection.
Got 3x5 litre -60 tubs in the garage now, no doubt i'll use more topping up the kids cars than for meself.
Finally got a charger from that little-known outpost of the Lidl retailing empire at Front Street, Langley Moor, County Durham.

Looks a decent piece of kit.

A couple of questions.

I've plugged it in and the standby light comes on, but the mode button doesn't do anything.

Will that button only work when the charger is connected to a battery?

Speaking of which, in the instructions it says disconnect the negative terminal of the car battery before connecting the charger.

Is that necessary?

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 19:01
yes to both.
>> Is that necessary?
>>
>>
What do the instructions say? I thought so. :-)

It will not select a charging mode unless it is connected to a battery, (instructions again).

:-)
...It will not select a charging mode unless it is connected to a battery, (instructions again)...

Thanks for the replies - I didn't see that in the instructions.

The assistant in Lidl told me to keep the receipt until I'd made sure the charger was working, so I got the impression they'd had a few back.

Top marks to her for being honest and straightforward.

Having to disconnect the negative terminal is a bit of a nuisance, although I suppose I'll only lose the radio code, which I should have, somewhere, hopefully. :)

RTFM !
>> Having to disconnect the negative terminal is a bit of a nuisance, although I suppose
>> I'll only lose the radio code, which I should have, somewhere, hopefully. :)
>>
>>
Sorry I misunderstood, I have used one of these chargers regularly for a year and have not disconnected the battery, and not had any problems, (two different cars). I thought you meant disconnect the mains before the battery from the charger which is a good move.
>> Sorry I misunderstood, I have used one of these chargers regularly for a year and
>> have not disconnected the battery, and not had any problems, (two different cars).

Same experience here, the CTEK doesn't require the battery to be disconnected and the Lidl special appears to have identical switching in a similar package (i think they are the same but haven't dismantled to check)...no problems so far.

I try not to disconnect the battery if at all possible on modern cars, if i need to change a battery i connect a jump pack or similar to keep the 'live' during swapping.
...I try not to disconnect the battery if at all possible on modern cars...

That would be my thinking.

The part of the instructions I've managed to read for the Lidl charger say disconnect the car battery, but I suspect that may be ultra-cautious back covering.

I'm not keen on jump starting a modern car, but you can't disconnect the battery to do that, so I can't see a trickle charger doing any harm

You can buy a cigarette lighter lead for the CTEK which would be a very neat and easy way of connecting the charger.

No good for a jump, but should work well for a trickle.

>> No good for a jump, but should work well for a trickle.

Ooh you are awful, but i like you.

Cigarette lighter may not be connected unless the ignition is switched on, i suppose it would be a case of connecting it and trying.
...Cigarette lighter may not be connected unless the ignition is switched on...

I think most cigarette lighter sockets are always on.

Alas, most certainly not the case. None of my last 5 cars have had permanent live feed to the ciggy lighter.
...Alas, most certainly not the case. None of my last 5 cars have had permanent live feed to the ciggy lighter...

Fair enough.

Perhaps it's a Ford thing.

I know both the Focuses had live feeds because I used to leave the phone - and now the iPod - on charge overnight.

>>..so I got the impression they'd had a few back.>>

Because of similar questions but no answers? ....:-))
 Lidl Motoring stuff, -60C screenwash, from 13 Jan - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
I confess I bought 20l. Was very impressed by the first batch last year and unimpressed when I could not buy any more, or equivalent, locally. Even giving away 5l to an OAP, got plenty left for this year.
Meths plus Carplan premix recently but really need the fan washer safe stuff (like Lidl claim)
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Alanovich
I see on the Lidl website that they have oil filter wrenches available from today at £2.99, but there are no pictures nor a description of the item.

Has anyone been in and seen/purchased one today? If so, what type of wrench is it?
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Zero
I bought one yesterday. Its a large screw that tightens a steel band round the filter. The screw acts a handle to turn the filter once the strap is tightened. The strap has little pimples to dig into the filter casing.

Looks to me like it will work..
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Bellboy
or slip and have it away with a pinky
Cheers, I'll pop in for a shufty (and a bottle of Bordeaux, ahem) on the way home.
the wrenches i see in liddle i would leave alone
much better totty in netto
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - John H
>> I see on the Lidl website that they have oil filter wrenches available from today
>> at £2.99, but there are no pictures nor a description of the item.
>>

Pictures of the other two items are at the base of
www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-F0E7B8E0-7A745E77/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17783.htm

the filter wrench is shown as
tinyurl.com/6fphetu (lidl image link)
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Iffy
...the filter wrench is shown as...

Looks like it should do the job.

We always had two or three different types knocking around the garage because one wrench might enable easier access to the filter than another, depending on the type of car.

yep got one of those
it flexes and is no good unless the filter was slack to begin with
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Ted

Looks like it will do the Note, which has a very small filter which my other wrenches won't grip.
The 3 leg claw and the steel ' ring ' wrenches won't go that small and the chain needs two hands to use and I can't get them near.
The only one that does the Vitara is the claw, held vertically on the end of a long extension.
You have to tighten it with the tool as well as you can't get your hand round it.

SWMBO's passing Lidl on her way home so I've phoned her to get me one.

Ted
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Skoda
I was in yesterday, don't fancy that type of filter wrench much. Can't imagine you'll have space to swing it in most engine bays. Doubt it'll grip any harder than a pair of clean gloves either.

Picked up a couple of extinguishers, metric nuts (for each size, there's both normal and lock nuts in the box), can't remember what else, more tat :-)

I hate Lidls. It's ace.
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Zero
I'll let you know. I shall be changing the oil in the lancer in the next 5 days or so.
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Ted

SW got me one..ok for a couple of quid. The Note filter is on the front with room to swing the handle underneath. Might be ok for tight jar lids too.

Ted
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - bathtub tom
>>Might be ok for tight jar lids too.

That's made me wonder if the thing in the kitchen drawer for undoing jar lids might be useful for oil filters, mmmm?
Damnation. They didn't have any at my local branch. Just spark plug wrenchs.

Boo. Looks like it could have done the job on my 360 - I couldn't get the filter off last time and had to sheepishly take it to a local garage.
 Lidl Motoring stuff - oil filter wrench - Iffy
...if the thing in the kitchen drawer for undoing jar lids might be useful for oil filters, mmmm?...

I have a Baby Boa lid opener.

It's reasonably sturdy and the right size for oil filters.

It would undo a filter that was not firmly stuck.

www.catalogueselect.com/jar-opener.html
Latest Forum Posts